Mariner Status - Stay Alert

Crazy For Cats

We sailed on the Nieuw Statendam in the spring and had earned 6 spending credits. That gave us a total of 20 points to our next star level.  I was thrilled because with only 51 points until 5 star we could get there by years end.  I had reconfirmed several times after posting as I managed upcoming cruises.  While checking on this month's update I noticed that my points status until next mariner level went from 51 to 52.  I reviewed my spreadsheet and the spring spending points had been reduced by 1 point.  Putting 5 star at least three cruises away.   I contacted the Mariner Society when I saw the error and asked that they review.  They updated me today and apologized for the error and restored the spending point.  Now our December cruise could get us to 5 star!

The point here is to keep track of your points as computer glitches happen.  I'm sure it may not seem like a big deal to some but every point does matter when reaching for the next level.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

That's so odd that the number would change.

I always take a new screen shot after our points are added after a recent cruise -- just in case they disappear.  I thought I was being kind of silly to do that, but I'll keep with the habit!

I’m going to start doing the same.

34 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

That's so odd that the number would change.

I always take a new screen shot after our points are added after a recent cruise -- just in case they disappear.  I thought I was being kind of silly to do that, but I'll keep with the habit!

Good idea.  I started doing that a few years ago when HAL had a computer issue and they disappeared for a short while.

We make screen saves or print pdf copies of all sorts of orders/etc., placed, and in some cases, we make additional newer copies of interim status of these, such as if they are "pending".

It came in handy once, when a mutual fund order was placed, complete with "confirmation number".  It stayed in "pending" status for too long, so I called several times, and each time, the rep said something like, "Oh, it's fine; it will post soon"... for a couple of weeks.

And then... the order just disappeared.  (And... the market had gone up...!)

Then they repeatedly denied there had ever been any such order.

Thank goodness I had the original confirmation and copies of the "pendings", with dates, as time continued...

(Yes, the order was filled per the initial order date, but I hate to think if I had not had those copies.  The calls were all recorded, but they refused to listen to them, insisting that it was absolutely impossible that there had ever been any such order.  Yup, major mutual fund company...)

We had been in that habit for some time, thank goodness, but now we are religious about it.  (Storage space for such files is virtually free, so there's no reason not to keep them... all of them!)

Grrrrr.

It's beyond annoying when customer service tells one that whatever one claims happened or one "had"... just... wasn't...!

GC

We also had to contact the Mariners' Society recently.  They made a mistake on the number of points we got on our last cruise (Koningsdam, which put us up to 5-star).  After several emails (at first they didn't think they had made a mistake) they finally saw the light and corrected it.  Yes, check, check check.

Congratulations on almost reaching 5*.  I won't be there for some time, but that's also how I felt about 4*, and it happened sooner than I anticipated.  Thanks for the idea of printing status page.  I'm not sure why I didn't think of it because I keep track of my teacher recertification points/courses that way in case my district messes up.  I also take confirmation copies of every extra thing for a cruise such as restaurants, excursions etc., so it's common sense to make a copy of the Mariner status page too.