FCD Question(s)

CruisingAndDiving

Quick couple of questions regarding Future Cruise Deposits purchased on board...as we are on the Nieuw Amsterdam for our first HAL cruise next week and might just do this.

Can they be purchased in $CAN or only $US?

If they have to be purchased in $US, can they be used to book a future cruise in $CAN?

I understand they are $100...so that covers one booking (DW and I) or one person?

Thanks everyone!

Warren

They can be purchased in several currencies, including CAD.  You do need to purchase the FCD in the same currency as the cruise you will be booking in the future.  (There are back door ways to change a USD FCD to a CAD one but it's harder to do if you don't use a PCC, IME.)

$100 FCDs will cover deposits for cruises up to 21 days.  You and your DW will need one each.

I buy a few for each of us on every cruise so when I see a promotion or cruise I like, I can book immediately.  I also now only buy them in CAD to avoid situations of having to change a USD to a CAD one.  It was a bit of a hassle.

For more information, you may want to look at this link (it's still valid even though it's from 2014):

http://halfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/FCD-Program-May-2014.pdf

Edited by Alberta Quilter
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

They can be purchased in several currencies, including CAD.  You do need to purchase the FCD in the same currency as the cruise you will be booking in the future.  (There are back door ways to change a USD FCD to a CAD one but it's harder to do if you don't use a PCC, IME.)

$100 FCDs will cover deposits for cruises up to 21 days.  You and your DW will need one each.

I buy a few for each of us on every cruise so when I see a promotion or cruise I like, I can book immediately.  I also now only buy them in CAD to avoid situations of having to change a USD to a CAD one.  It was a bit of a hassle.

For more information, you may want to look at this link (it's still valid even though it's from 2014):

http://halfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/FCD-Program-May-2014.pdf

Brilliant!  Thanks so much AQ as that answers everything in one fell swoop 😄

We will most likely grab a couple while on board in a nearly a weeks time!

Warren

3 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Remember that once back from your cruise, you have 60 days to book another cruise and double the Future Cruise Credit that you will have through purchasing the FCDs.

Medicine Hat!  Wow!  Family there long ago.  Loved that name when I was a child, so exotic!!!

Thanks for the reminder!

It's probably grown considerably ...but yep, one of the cooler names in Canada 😄

I see your questions were answered, but wanted to add - I always keep 2-3 (per person) FCDs on hand to handle future bookings.  I buy one on each cruise to replace the one I am using.

Just used one thins morning to book a cruise I am looking at for August, even though I am not certain I will make it.  By using the FCD, I do not have to mess with deposits - just take it out of my FCD inventory - and if I cancel it goes back into my inventory, quick and easy!  Plus I love the OBC I get, and the double up promotion by using code ZPM (Thank you for sailing email).

5 hours ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

If they have to be purchased in $US, can they be used to book a future cruise in $CAN?

I think all your questions have been answered well and just wanted to add to this part.

Yes, they can be used but...

You need to call the Mariner’s Society first and they will help switch the $ U.S. to Canadian and even give you back the difference in the exchange rate.

I learned that from another CC friend as I had US $ FCD’s and since the exchange rate was better on a Canadian booking at the time I wanted to use a Cdn FCD and only had US.  It was done so fast your head would spin.  Easy.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I think all your questions have been answered well and just wanted to add to this part.

Yes, they can be used but...

You need to call the Mariner’s Society first and they will help switch the $ U.S. to Canadian and even give you back the difference in the exchange rate.

I learned that from another CC friend as I had US $ FCD’s and since the exchange rate was better on a Canadian booking at the time I wanted to use a Cdn FCD and only had US.  It was done so fast your head would spin.  Easy.

Hope this helps.

It indeed does help!  Thanks for explain the back end workings a little better!

I think for now, I'll just stick with the $CAD ones 😄

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Just to add that there is no need to queue up at the Future Cruises desk as you can pick up a FCD form and drop it into the mail box at the Future Cruises desk. The FCD will then be emailed to you.

Great advice.  There is an option on it to also get a hard copy delivered to your cabin - I do this to verify that everything is correct before I leave the ship (have had a problem one time).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Great advice.  There is an option on it to also get a hard copy delivered to your cabin - I do this to verify that everything is correct before I leave the ship (have had a problem one time).

On my last cruise (Sep/19) the FCC refused to provide a hard copy onboard.  It is, I was told, company policy to only provide it via email.  I asked what if there is a mistake (the FCC on our prior cruise did make a mistake with our order) and I was told that she doesn't make mistakes!  I did get the email and, fortunately, there were no mistakes this time.  But I, too, prefer a hard copy to review while still onboard.  I'll check on the next cruise about the "company policy"...

1 hour ago, Alberta Quilter said:

On my last cruise (Sep/19) the FCC refused to provide a hard copy onboard.  It is, I was told, company policy to only provide it via email.  I asked what if there is a mistake (the FCC on our prior cruise did make a mistake with our order) and I was told that she doesn't make mistakes!  I did get the email and, fortunately, there were no mistakes this time.  But I, too, prefer a hard copy to review while still onboard.  I'll check on the next cruise about the "company policy"...

I got a hard copy on my Sept. 2019 cruise on the Amsterdam!  So much for company policy.  It even had a spot on the form to request a hard copy as I recall.

Their "boss" is the wife of my former PCC.  I used to be able to check things like this, but sadly he moved onto another job.  I did like to "name drop" back then!

Edited by DaveOKC