ISO hotel recommendations for New York post cruise nights

RobinCruiser

Hi! DH and I are considering a stop in NYC on our way home from our Caribbean cruise. We have only transited EWR, never actually been to NYC. Our dates would be May 2-5. We really want a reasonably economical hotel - I've been reading through hotels posts on this board and see lots of high end hotels... I wish we could afford but alas, we cannot. Our budget is really around $6-$700 for the three nights. Looking for something central to use a base to do sightseeing. We won't be doing any Broadway shows or theatre, just interested in the Statue of Liberty, 911 memorial and museum, Empire State building and such. Probably do a HOHO pass. 

TIA for any suggestions you may have!

3 minutes ago, 138east said:

Tell us a bit more about your travel plans.  Are you arriving by ship (which cruise terminal?) or are you flying in just for a few days before going home (which airport?).  Two people?

Flying in, from MIA and on our way home to Vancouver BC. Looks like flying into LGA and out of JFK. Just the two of us. 

You may be a little low on your budget, at least right now. I'd probably look at downtown/financial district. I did a quick look at Marriott, and the best I can find is a Fairfield Inn near City Hall (east side of lower Manhattan) for around $240/night plus tax AAA/CAA. You'd be close to the Statue of Liberty and 9/11 Memorial, and a fairly easy subway ride to the Midtown/Central Park museums.

Long Island City is another option that I'll depend on a New Yorker to explain. Some decent prices and nicer hotels, but I simply don't know the subway out there.

I don't see any major events (there's a half Marathon that weekend) that would eat hotel rooms. A workable strategy is to find a room you're willing to pay for at a cancellable rate, and then keep looking. Rates fluctuate dramatically in Manhattan. We go up from the DC area several times a year, and I frequently get a decent to major price drop closer to departure (not including September and October). I'd start looking in downtown, but keep an eye out for Midtown.

The comments have not been good on this forum about the Hotel Pennsylvania over the years.  The “chain“ hotels like a Doubletree tend to get better reviews and meet the expectations of a broader spectrum of folks.

You may need to adjust your price range for NYC.  It's just flat out more expensive than most places.  You'll absolutely want to stay in Manhattan for the sake of convenience, either midtown or downtown. Downtown will be good for SOL and 9/11, and an easy subway ride up to midtown, but you can stay in midtown and likewise it's an easy subway ride downtown.  All the budget chains, like Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express etc. have locations in Manhattan. 

I went on Kayak for your dates. Holiday Inn Express Financial District coming up in your price range. (Address Water Street). You can walk to 9/11 Memorial, and Statue of Liberty ferry from this location. You can pick up HoHo bus also. Of course subway or uber always an option too. 

Holiday Inn : Manhattan 6th Ave - Chelsea
125 West 26th Street, New York City NY 10001 United States

$672.21 for 3 nights refundable cancellable until April 29 for members.
$503.08 nonrefundable for members

The refundable option could be a good choice for a placeholder now.  Midtown location with nearby subway options, particularly the #1 subway at 23rd or 28th & 7th to get directly to Times Square uptown or World Trade downtown and the F subway at 23rd to get uptown to Rockefeller Center and Central Park.  7-8 block walk to Macy’s or Empire State.

Thanks everyone! I'm looking at the same hotels online. The Pennsylvania looked neat from the outside but reviews and photos have scared me away. I'm thinking probably the Holiday Inn Manhattan. It's available, in my range and doesn't look or sound that bad. 

HI Chelsea on W. 26th Street would get my vote, with the givens - you can see many attractions on food.  NY will be warm by early May, comfortable walking shoes - nearby, you can access the Highline Park & Chelsea Market indoor mall.  Do not stay at the ancient/historic Hotel Penn next to/above NY Penn train station -  a walk thru the lobby is fine. 

Frugal travel - if you pack & travel light and can do steps/stairs when elevators & escalators are not nearby, ground transport from LGA to the hotel can be done via Q70 SBS limited airport bus to transfer to the subway to W. 23rd Street F line station stop, for a 3 blocks walk to the hotel.  Flying out via JFK, quite walkable to NY Penn train station or even via subway out to Jamaica subway/LIRR station to connect to the JFK AirTrain (similar to YVR in Richmond, BC) - or via a flat rate yellow taxi trip from anywhere in Manhattan to JFK (only) - including a toll, tips & surcharge, etc. for about $75 USD.  

Weekdays, the HoHo bus loop can be slow despite the bus-only lane - downtown portions is better suited, midtown & elsewhere - walking is sometimes just as fast.   By using a Metro card for bus/subway fare, you can get a one-time free transfer between the bus/subway (valid for about 2 to 2.5 hours ...)