Wheelchair questions: transportation

mitsugirly

This will be my first time cruising with a wheelchair. I had an accident 3 months ago and use my wheelchair quite often because I can not walk long distances (4 lower leg/ankle breaks with plates and screws in several places). I do use a walking boot for short distances, but will need to take my wheelchair with us this time.

We usually use Lyft or Uber for our transportation to/from the cruise port and since we cruise quite frequently, I know from experience that usually one of their cars fist us, 3 people and our 3 hard shelled luggage, nicely. However, when you throw a wheelchair into the mix...now what? I know it would not fit into a regular sized car (with the luggage) so anyone know the differences in the rides you pick? (Uber X, Comfort, Uber XL or Lyft and Lyft XL). I know that the XL (from taking one before) are the huge Suburbans that cost a lot more. I also know from requesting a ride from the cruise port (obviously we would have luggage) for (in the past) 4 people, they have showed up in the smallest car ever and we had to send them away. They tried to charge us for it and I had to file a claim. I mean if you say 4 people, coming from the cruise port, with luggage, your little Geo Metro isn't going to fit us all! How do I avoid this?

Thanks in advance. 

2 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

This will be my first time cruising with a wheelchair. I had an accident 3 months ago and use my wheelchair quite often because I can not walk long distances (4 lower leg/ankle breaks with plates and screws in several places). I do use a walking boot for short distances, but will need to take my wheelchair with us this time.

We usually use Lyft or Uber for our transportation to/from the cruise port and since we cruise quite frequently, I know from experience that usually one of their cars fist us, 3 people and our 3 hard shelled luggage, nicely. However, when you throw a wheelchair into the mix...now what? I know it would not fit into a regular sized car (with the luggage) so anyone know the differences in the rides you pick? (Uber X, Comfort, Uber XL or Lyft and Lyft XL). I know that the XL (from taking one before) are the huge Suburbans that cost a lot more. I also know from requesting a ride from the cruise port (obviously we would have luggage) for (in the past) 4 people, they have showed up in the smallest car ever and we had to send them away. They tried to charge us for it and I had to file a claim. I mean if you say 4 people, coming from the cruise port, with luggage, your little Geo Metro isn't going to fit us all! How do I avoid this?

Thanks in advance. 

I just go to the taxi banks usually and they find a suitable car.  If you uber, you need to order the bigger car.  It's just a fact of live with a WC that things will sometimes cost more. 

25 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I just go to the taxi banks usually and they find a suitable car.  If you uber, you need to order the bigger car.  It's just a fact of live with a WC that things will sometimes cost more. 

What do I do when I'm at the hotel trying to get a ride to the cruise port? I usually Uber or Lyft. Are you saying that the hotel will find me a taxi that will fit my needs?

8 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Either an Uber XL (yes it costs more) or a minivan taxi, which should be the same cost as any other taxi.  
At least you don't need a wheelchair lift.  

Any idea how much a minivan taxi would run from FLL to Miami?

11 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

The same as any other taxi.  Uber XL is probably competitive with it.

I have no idea how much a regular taxi would cost, which is why I asked. I have been using Lyft and Uber for my rides. The only time we took the Uber XL, it was the black XL luxury (which is VERY expensive compared to the regular) and it was off season and the driver only charged us the regular Uber rate because he was slow. Man if only I could get that lucky again. LOL

16 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

What do I do when I'm at the hotel trying to get a ride to the cruise port? I usually Uber or Lyft. Are you saying that the hotel will find me a taxi that will fit my needs?

Traveling internationally, I have never not have a hotel help with getting a taxi.  I have never had a taxi in Florida, but unless you are staying at super 8, I'm sure they will help. 

As far as cost......it is part of the vacation cost.  I honestly never worry about the cost because it's not that controllable.  I'm just happy to get to where I'm going!

2 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

As far as cost......it is part of the vacation cost.  I honestly never worry about the cost because it's not that controllable.  I'm just happy to get to where I'm going!

And I feel that way as well. However, I do need to figure out a close estimate because I'm a planner and have folders for each event (with transportation being a part of the hotel folder for me) and if I estimated $50 and it was $100, I'd be way off. I'd just like to get an idea is all. ;)

20 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

When we've been in Miami or Lisbon, with my husband's large walker, I've ordered Uber X and it's worked with the 2 of us, 3 checked bags, 2 carry-ons, my large Vera travel bag and his large walker.  Bob has to sit in the front pass. seat anyway because his right knee does not bend.  I often have a bag or 2 next to me in the back seat, but it works. If they don't send Uber X, I refuse it.  We have had trouble with taxis in Lisbon not knowing where they are going, it's a GPS thing, Uber has proved much better.

Best of luck,

Alice

6 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

And I feel that way as well. However, I do need to figure out a close estimate because I'm a planner and have folders for each event (with transportation being a part of the hotel folder for me) and if I estimated $50 and it was $100, I'd be way off. I'd just like to get an idea is all. 😉

You can just Google something like "taxi fare fll to miami cruise port" and get some good info (usually including contact info for several transportation services).

We've done this for taxi costs in Italy, Norway, Japan, and New Zealand.

In some cases one can book transportation right there, online and then be certain of the fare (but double check about taxes or automatic tips, etc.).

This should be more than adequate for your estimation purposes

GC 

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

You can just Google something like "taxi fare fll to miami cruise port" and get some good info (usually including contact info for several transportation services).

We've done this for taxi costs in Italy, Norway, Japan, and New Zealand.

In some cases one can book transportation right there, online and then be certain of the fare (but double check about taxes or automatic tips, etc.).

This should be more than adequate for your estimation purposes

GC 

Thanks GeezerCouple, I never thought of doing that (and didn't know that you could). I will give that a shot. Thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it.

Uber estimator will give you some idea of the cost, as you say UberXL will be at least twice a standard Uber, and you might need it. Last summer we took a few  standard ubers with the two of us, two suitcases and my walker (only slightly smaller than a small folding wheelchair). Now one of those ubers picking up at one of the airports  had a boot full of stuff, so our two cases and the walker had to be fitted in the front seat. Don’t ask me why an uber picking up at an airport wouldn’t have an empty boot, I have no idea. I don’t think any of those could have fitted another person and another suitcase in. And our cases are medium sized, so again depends on the size of the cases. 

https://uberestimator.com

I am sure I’ve seen this question more than once before , and another solution some people came up with was one way car hire might be cheaper than Uber in your case. You should be able to fit your stuff (and you don’t have a taxi driver moaning about the amount of luggage) in a standard model. 

12 minutes ago, ozscotart said:

Uber estimator will give you some idea of the cost, as you say UberXL will be at least twice a standard Uber, and you might need it. Last summer we took a few  standard ubers with the two of us, two suitcases and my walker (only slightly smaller than a small folding wheelchair). Now one of those ubers picking up at one of the airports  had a boot full of stuff, so our two cases and the walker had to be fitted in the front seat. Don’t ask me why an uber picking up at an airport wouldn’t have an empty boot, I have no idea. I don’t think any of those could have fitted another person and another suitcase in. And our cases are medium sized, so again depends on the size of the cases. 

https://uberestimator.com

I am sure I’ve seen this question more than once before , and another solution some people came up with was one way car hire might be cheaper than Uber in your case. You should be able to fit your stuff (and you don’t have a taxi driver moaning about the amount of luggage) in a standard model. 

It looks like Lyft XL is around $70. We have 3 people, 3 luggage and the wheelchair.

When I try to get an estimate on Uber, it tells me "not available for this route". :/  That's weird.

• 3 weeks later...

Boy, I miss your Carnival reviews, so sorry about your accident. Wish you and your family the very best. My husband has pins and plates in his ankle and we live in Fl. so for us I have a transporter wheelchair that I use to get him from the truck to ship. Then we have wheelchair assistant to the ship with a scooter waiting in the cabin. Best of luck. Priscilla

On 12/5/2019 at 1:15 PM, mitsugirly said:

If the hotel offers a shuttle to the ship to other guests, they must provide wheelchair accessible transport to you at no additional cost. If it is free for other guests, it must be free to you. If there is a charge, there can be no additional charge for you compared to an AB guest. This is required by the ADA (within the USA of course).

On 12/21/2019 at 6:38 PM, peteandpris said:

Boy, I miss your Carnival reviews, so sorry about your accident. Wish you and your family the very best. My husband has pins and plates in his ankle and we live in Fl. so for us I have a transporter wheelchair that I use to get him from the truck to ship. Then we have wheelchair assistant to the ship with a scooter waiting in the cabin. Best of luck. Priscilla

Aww thanks. We did end up taking a year off from them but I'm sure we'll be back on a Carnival ship soon. I just have to go with the best deal, timing for when we go, and where they are going.

22 hours ago, Splinter said:

If the hotel offers a shuttle to the ship to other guests, they must provide wheelchair accessible transport to you at no additional cost. If it is free for other guests, it must be free to you. If there is a charge, there can be no additional charge for you compared to an AB guest. This is required by the ADA (within the USA of course).

We are back from our cruise and I appreciate everyone's helpful comments.

• 3 weeks later...