House Insurance for a long cruise.

Otter18

Advice please. I have had my home buildings and contents insurance cancelled, as they do not cover a 99 day absence. I'm having problems getting cover for this period of absence, at a reasonable cost. does anyone have any recommendations?

Brian

41 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Do you know I'm not sure I would have even thought about it.  Would it be cheaper to get a house sitter?  Some people don't even charge, they just treat it as a holiday.

Most buildings and contents insurance allow for a maximum of 60 days absence. Even then there are limitations i.e. the house must be visited every 14 days (and evidenced). In winter, the heating must remain on, or mains water turned off, and tank emptied etc. Different companies have other requirements. I was with Direct Line, but they only allow one long absence, and I have done that. 

We have done two world cruises and our insurance company are Insure4Retirement. On both occasions we had an increase in premium for the whole of the annual insurance (which was due for renewal whilst we were away) and then, once back home, I had to contact them and they gave us a part refund for the remainder of the year. You need to do this in plenty of time as they had to contact a broker.

As mentioned, there are some conditions e.g. temperature and someone visiting on a regular basis. It was no real trouble.

We also took both cars off the road from 1st January until the end of the month in which we returned (April). Put in a SORN declaration and was refunded 4 months road tax on two cars. This easily covered the cost of the extra insurance. 

Hope this helps.

Pat

• Like 1

I have a Premier policy with John Lewis. It just says you have to notify them if you are going to be away for more than 60 days. Presumably they will apply further conditions and/or up the premium. Guess I'll never find out as I haven't got a cat in hell's chance of being away for that long! 😄

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

Check the policy wording, but it may be if you get someone to stay just one night it resets the vacant period.

They cancelled my policy outright, so that is not an option. I might add, the cancellation was purely related to the time away. During the conversation, I explained that my daughter would be house sitting 2 or more nights a week, but that wasn't considered living there. Looking to insure with someone else now.

13 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

If you do, let Brian and I have your address please😊

I still have a stripey jumper and a swag bag somewhere.. 

Andy 

Nah,not me.I got burgled once,I left a gold Rolex,oops sorry,a gold coloured Timex with the small hand missing,on the dresser.They left a fiver and went.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, brian1 said:

If you do get it sorted,don't put it on facebook and leave 50 million quids worth of tom on the dressing table.

The 'Tom' will be coming with us 😁. Not much left of value in the house. Still need insurance in case the boat sinks😱

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otter18 said:

The 'Tom' will be coming with us 😁. Not much left of value in the house. Still need insurance in case the boat sinks😱

Not 50 million quids worth.That'd be worth more than the boat,lol.

We could only get cover for a maximum of 60 days with our usual insurer so have changed to Saga now and no problem. Very reasonable to. Ive seen on other forums that saying someone is house sitting for some odd reason doesnt count as your house being occupied and not able to get cover for so long.

We just notified Saga that our house would be checked at least once a week to get 100 days cover

16 hours ago, mary heyworth said:

We could only get cover for a maximum of 60 days with our usual insurer so have changed to Saga now and no problem. Very reasonable to. Ive seen on other forums that saying someone is house sitting for some odd reason doesnt count as your house being occupied and not able to get cover for so long.

We just notified Saga that our house would be checked at least once a week to get 100 days cover

Thanks Mary. I have already tried Saga. They came in at 4 times my last years insurance. I haven't made a claim in 15 years, so I'm not sure what is going on. Still trying though.

2 hours ago, Clipper Chick said:

I insure with nationwide. For 3-6 months absence has cost £3.92 TIL August renewal.  Have had policy for 10 years. No cost for my Dad on his policy

Thank you. I finally got sorted today with M&S (before I saw your post). 90 days absence as standard, I just had to pay for the extra 9 days cover. And it was a lot less hassle than the others I tried.

1 hour ago, Otter18 said:

Thank you. I finally got sorted today with M&S (before I saw your post). 90 days absence as standard, I just had to pay for the extra 9 days cover. And it was a lot less hassle than the others I tried.

Just saw you are from Surrey which is where I grew up