Vancouver to Victoria for post-cruise, then airport home

jkmmah

This will be my first time to Alaska, but my mother's 2nd. She visited Butchart Gardens on her previous cruise and found the short shore excursion time far too little for what she wanted. Ideally she wants 8+ hours to spend in the gardens. I don't find any itinerary for summer 2021 that has that long of a stop in Victoria. Therefore I'm considering having a pre- or post-cruise extended stay to include the time in Victoria to please mom. However, my mind is boggled trying to figure out the logistics of getting there. 

If our cruise ends in Vancouver and we plan to do Vic as a post-cruise on-our-own excursion, should we take the rail to Seattle to stay in a hotel, and then the next day ferry for a day trip the following day to Vic and back? Then we could fly home from Seattle? Vice-versa if the cruise will start in Vancouver and we plan Victoria pre-cruise? 

Budget is important, so flying from Vancouver to Victoria for the day trip is not something my mom would splurge for.

Am I making this more complicated than it needs to be? Is there a simpler plan you can recommend? 

Cheapest way would be to use BC Ferries from Vancouver - then very possibly to fly home from YYJ. You would need to get yourself and Mom to the ferry, as well as to Butchart, so I'd suggest a rental car is likely the best combination of convenience and value - that way you can stay as long as you like at the gardens, go see other things on the Island (everything outside of Victoria & surrounds has very poor transit options), etc. While a one-way rental might have drop fees involved, because it would be all-Canadian that's one less issue (and driving in Canada is basically identical to the USA except that speeds and distances are in Kilometres rather than Miles - but since the main dial on the speedo and the odometer will be in Km as well, that's really a non-issue).

There are several flights daily from YYJ to SEA and YVR (and other connecting airports that might work for you) - it's unlikely that you will find enough of a saving by starting your flights from SEA to be worth paying the not-cheap-at-all ferry fares from Victoria to Seattle, let alone the extra time involved, but it's certainly worth plugging in your date for all three airports (YYJ, YVR, SEA) to see if it might be worth the BC Ferries fare back to the mainland rather than flying out of YYJ.

I'm ***NOT*** an expert but it seems that the longer cruises (10+ days) that stop in Victoria have longer port times. Our 10 day NCL cruise stopped in Victoria from noon until Midnight - but our 7 day NCL cruise was only there from 6 PM until Midnight. I was just looking at a 2020 Princess cruise earlier today (11-12 days - ???) and it is at Victoria from 8 AM until Midnight.  So look at the longer cruises; just a hunch.  That might be a better alternative than getting to Victoria from Vancouver post cruise.

But, I do know about a passenger ferry that goes from Downtown Vancouver to Downtown Victoria daily during the summer season.  It belongs to V2V Vacations.  The trip is 3-1/2 hours each way so you'd probably need to spend at least one night in Victoria. You wouldn't need a rental car this way as you can easily take a cab from Downtown Victoria to Butchart Gardens.  You should be able to do an internet search for V2V Vacations for additional information.

Good luck!

I took this picture of the V2V ferry last year while in Victoria.

V2V Ferry.jpg

Edited by SuperCrewBear

The route to Butchart from Vancouver isn't exactly straightforward and is quite time consuming.  And pricey.

First you drive about an hr from downtown Vancouver to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal, then a 90 minute ferry ride to Swartz Bay, then another 30 minute drive to Butchart.  (The ferry route is beautiful.)

I agree with martincath that a rental car would be the easiest option.  (a car on the ferry is about $75 each way)

If you don't want to drive, there is a day tour by bus .... it's a very long day, about 14 hrs I think. And about $250pp.  Google Landsea Tours. Its the only company I know of but there may be others.  

The BC Connector bus might be a nice option.  This would give you more flexibility AND more time in Victoria and a little more relaxed.  Immediately after your cruise you could hop on the bus from downtown Vancouver and ride it to downtown Victoria.  Drop your luggage at a Victoria hotel, then take the CVS bus to Butchart. It leaves hourly in the summer. Stay at Butchart as long as you like.  The following day you could fly to Seattle or Vancouver with Alaska Airlines/horizon.  If you book far in advance the flight to Seattle is very reasonable. (and quite scenic)        https://bcfconnector.com/schedules/

Check the Victoria forum of tripadvisor.  Under Top Questions, they used to have an extensive list of options between Vancouver, Seattle, and Victoria.

Edited by mapleleaves
link

SuperCrewBear - I would not rely on the V2V ferry system as they continue to have mechanical issues.

The BC Ferry Connector mentioned in post #4 actually can be picked up right at the cruise port in Vancouver.

Edited by cruiseryyc

9 minutes ago, cruiseryyc said:

The BC Ferry Connector mentioned in post #4 actually can be picked up right at the cruise port in Vancouver.

We actually took the Connector after our cruise this past August and would HIGHLY recommend. We pre-booked the BC Ferry Connector and it was a breeze! Disembarked our ship at Canada Place and waited a bit for the bus to load. Bus drove right on to the Ferry ... went upstairs and enjoyed the Ferry crossing to Victoria. Re-boarded the bus and got dropped off right in downtown Victoria. Short walk to where we stayed at the Magnolia Hotel (which was wonderful!)

We spent 3 nights post cruise enjoying Victoria, including a day trip to Butchart Gardens. At the end of our stay, we flew from Victoria (awesome little airport) to Seattle then on to Phoenix. We used Delta, however, they've since terminated service from Victoria. Alaska Air and their commuter Horizon would be the best bet for flights.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Your cheapest option would be using BC Ferries & local Victoria buses.

The BC Connector will pick you up downtown, transport to Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal, ferry trip to Swartz Bay and then transport to downtown Victoria. I would take a taxi to your hotel to drop off your bags, then take the local bus out to Butchart Gardens, staying as long as you like.

Next day you can fly to Seatac or take the fast ferry to Seattle.

For Victoria hotels during May - October, I used to get the best rates from the Royal Scot & Swans.

If you opt for a car rental in Vancouver, I suggest making a reservation for a specific sailing, as during the summer months they often have multiple sailing waits. When the ships reach pax capacity, they take the foot pax and short load cars.

56 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Not sure if this is possible or not, why not end your cruise in Victoria and just get off the ship there if the cruiseline allows it. Others on here will let you know if that is possible or not?

It is possible but due to the wind, cruise ships can often miss Victoria which can foil those plans.

This must be arranged ahead of time and be approved by the cruise line (in advance).

We had a lot of people from Victoria on our cruise and we missed the port and they had all planned on getting off the ship that day.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

It is possible but due to the wind, cruise ships can often miss Victoria which can foil those plans.

This must be arranged ahead of time and be approved by the cruise line (in advance).

We had a lot of people from Victoria on our cruise and we missed the port and they had all planned on getting off the ship that day.

I would go with it that way with plans to fly home from Vancouver, if you can't get dropped off in Victoria just spend the time until your flight in Vancouver. Have hotels booked at both places with the ability to cancel one or the other 24 hours before checkin.   Make contact with the ship's captain what it looks like for docking in Victoria as scheduled, they should know at least a 24 hours before docking. They should have a prety good idea by then how it will be.

This way you only need to look for transportation for Victoria to Vancouver one way.

Edited by Jimbo

Well I'm going to offer something of a dramatic alternative.  Skip Victoria.

Instead, take a day or more to visit some of the marvelous gardens right in Vancouver.  

1.  Queen Elizabeth Park Gardens.  https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/queen-elizabeth-park.aspx

This is a free and stunning garden, largely built in a former quarry (like the "sunken gardens" at Butchart.)  QE Park also offers stunning views of the city skyline.  Within the park is the Bloedel Conservatory, a remarkable domed "greenhouse" full of tropical plants and tropical birds flying about.  It's a world resource with no equivalent at Butchart Gardens.  

Queen-Elizabeth-Park-www.vancitybuzz.com

Bloedel-Conservatory.jpg

06-bloedel_conservatory.jpg

2.  Van Dusen Botanical Garden.  https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/vandusen-botanical-garden.aspx

This is not far from QE Park and features a very wide ranges of plants from all over the world, as well as local wildlife here and there.  There's an Elizabethan maze, a couple of places to eat, and offers terrific walks (as well as guided tours.)  

Laburnum-Walk-2_6F5A9010-1921-42A8-948C8

VanDusen_Botanical_Garden_maze-57bc1e585

3.  Dr. Sun Yat Sen Chinese Garden.  https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/dr-sun-yat-sen-chinese-garden.aspx

This is in the middle of Vancouver's big Chinatown, and features wonderful Chinese-themed plantings and structures.  

13538296685_f2c09a9c20_b.jpg

lily-pad-beauty-in-the-chinese-garden-ly

4.  Stanley Park https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/stanley-park.aspx

What can be said about Stanley Park?  Forest walks, stunning views, beaches, playgrounds, totem poles... but also stunning gardens including a tremendous rose garden, a world-class aquarium... sort of a world unto itself.  

You might be able to visit all of these marvelous gardens in one day (but I'd take more time), save a ton of money by not having to pay for ferries or rental cars or additional flights, and get a much wider range of experiences, all without leaving the central part of Vancouver.   Map - https://goo.gl/maps/LLMx7Q9ywXDSjmPy8

Edited by Gardyloo

16 minutes ago, Gardyloo said:

Well I'm going to offer something of a dramatic alternative.  Skip Victoria.

Instead, take a day or more to visit some of the marvelous gardens right in Vancouver.  

1.  Queen Elizabeth Park Gardens.  https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/queen-elizabeth-park.aspx

This is a free and stunning garden, largely built in a former quarry (like the "sunken gardens" at Butchart.)  QE Park also offers stunning views of the city skyline.  Within the park is the Bloedel Conservatory, a remarkable domed "greenhouse" full of tropical plants and tropical birds flying about.  It's a world resource with no equivalent at Butchart Gardens.  

Queen-Elizabeth-Park-www.vancitybuzz.com

Bloedel-Conservatory.jpg

06-bloedel_conservatory.jpg

2.  Van Dusen Botanical Garden.  https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/vandusen-botanical-garden.aspx

This is not far from QE Park and features a very wide ranges of plants from all over the world, as well as local wildlife here and there.  There's an Elizabethan maze, a couple of places to eat, and offers terrific walks (as well as guided tours.)  

Laburnum-Walk-2_6F5A9010-1921-42A8-948C8

VanDusen_Botanical_Garden_maze-57bc1e585

3.  Dr. Sun Yat Sen Chinese Garden.  https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/dr-sun-yat-sen-chinese-garden.aspx

This is in the middle of Vancouver's big Chinatown, and features wonderful Chinese-themed plantings and structures.  

13538296685_f2c09a9c20_b.jpg

lily-pad-beauty-in-the-chinese-garden-ly

4.  Stanley Park https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/stanley-park.aspx

What can be said about Stanley Park?  Forest walks, stunning views, beaches, playgrounds, totem poles... but also stunning gardens including a tremendous rose garden, a world-class aquarium... sort of a world unto itself.  

You might be able to visit all of these marvelous gardens in one day (but I'd take more time), save a ton of money by not having to pay for ferries or rental cars or additional flights, and get a much wider range of experiences, all without leaving the central part of Vancouver.   Map - https://goo.gl/maps/LLMx7Q9ywXDSjmPy8

Fabulous ideas! I will present this possibility to Mom to gauge her interest in doing these instead of Butchart. You just may have presented an incredible solution for us!

Edited by jkmmah

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Make contact with the ship's captain what it looks like for docking in Victoria as scheduled, they should know at least a 24 hours before docking. They should have a prety good idea by then how it will be.

No they don't.

I have been on trips that included Victoria where we have tried to dock for 3 hours and then the Captain gave up. There are other times when we didn't know until an hour before. The pier here catches a lot of wind at times - there is no protection from the winds. There was a ship that crashed into the dock because of the winds. I have also been there when 1 ship could dock but then the winds came up and prevented other ships from docking.

If ships don't dock - I believe there still needs to be an exchange of paperwork as this is a legal requirement for ships that go RT Seattle. 

And ships don't dock often until late afternoon or evening which would be too late to cancel hotels.

Edited by Coral

53 minutes ago, Coral said:

No they don't.

I have been on trips that included Victoria where we have tried to dock for 3 hours and then the Captain gave up. There are other times when we didn't know until an hour before. The pier here catches a lot of wind at times - there is no protection from the winds. There was a ship that crashed into the dock because of the winds. I have also been there when 1 ship could dock but then the winds came up and prevented other ships from docking.

If ships don't dock - I believe there still needs to be an exchange of paperwork as this is a legal requirement for ships that go RT Seattle. 

And ships don't dock often until late afternoon or evening which would be too late to cancel hotels.

You need to cruise on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean where they have more experienced Captains.  LOL

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

You need to cruise on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean where they have more experienced Captains.  LOL

I have missed it on RCCL.

Believe me, it is missed a lot on RCCL and Celebrity.

Edited by Coral

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Must have been someone that worked on Carnival previously.

I doubt it. My least favorite cruise to Alaska was on RCCL. I think they are crappy in Alaska. I am thinking they think that also as they send such few ships up there. 

Regardless, Victoria has issues for all lines that sail in that area.

Edited by Coral

58 minutes ago, Coral said:

I doubt it. My least favorite cruise to Alaska was on RCCL. I think they are crappy in Alaska. I am thinking they think that also as they send such few ships up there. 

Regardless, Victoria has issues for all lines that sail in that area.

I don't judge a cruise by the ship/cruiseline,  I more judge it by what you tend to do while off the ship at each port, that is what makes for a bad vacation or a great vacation.

I can read books about where  I'm going and what is best to do at each port, I don't need a natrualist to tell me or show me what to look for at each coastline or port.

Cruiseship is just a cheaper way of transportation from getting to one destination/port to the next and I don't have to unpack , carry bags or drive the car to it.

Edited by Jimbo

2 hours ago, jkmmah said:

Fabulous ideas! I will present this possibility to Mom to gauge her interest in doing these instead of Butchart. You just may have presented an incredible solution for us!

Take in a play at Bard on the Beach, Vancouver's terrific Shakespeare festival, while you're there.  One of the great venues in North America.  https://bardonthebeach.org/

p-photoblimp-6579_54_990x660_20140423130

17 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I don't judge a cruise by the ship/cruiseline,  I more judge it by what you tend to do while off the ship at each port, that is what makes for a bad vacation or a great vacation.

I can read books about where  I'm going and what is best to do at each port, I don't need a natrualist to tell me or show me what to look for at each coastline or port.

Cruiseship is just a cheaper way of transportation from getting to one destination/port to the next and I don't have to unpack , carry bags or drive the car to it.

There are a variety of reasons why I thought RCCL was crappy in Alaska. It has more to do than a naturalist. Though I have to say a naturalist does indeed help. You should try a different line in Alaska to be able to compare. Right now, I think RCCL has inferior itineraries. And itineraries are important to me - the top priority IMO.

Edited by Coral

41 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I have cruised multiple lines in Alaska. I also have no desire to go back with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean in Alaska. I am guessing you are loyal to them because I can not see defending them in Alaska based on their cruises in Alaska.