Civitavecchia Port hotel

cantgetaname

This will have been asked a million times I'm sure,  but . . .   I'm booking a cruise that departs from Civitavecchia and am wondering where to stay and a little advice.   I would love to stay in Rome and see the sights.   But then staying in Civitavecchia would mean closer to the port and convienient that way.   But since I've never been top Italy before it would be really neat to see the sights and maybe even take a daytrip outside of Rome.  Are there places to get daytrips out of Rome?   I'm just not sure what to do,  and since there's plenty of time yet, I was wondering if anyone had any advice. 

Thanks

The port is only an hour from Rome -- if you want to see Rome, stay in Rome!  You can be in Civitavecchia in plenty of time to board your ship.

If possible, plan to stay 2-3 days (more is better) to get the most out of your time. You will likely be a bit jet-lagged on the first day, and if you are flying from the US, you likely will only have a half-day on that day.

There are plenty of companies that provide daytrips out of Rome. But if your time is limited, there is also PLENTY to see in Rome itself -- the Colosseum, the Forum, the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's basilica, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, and on and on....

If you want to see Rome, no doubt stay in Rome. It isn't that hard to get from Rome to the port on the day you sail. Rome is an amazing city, and it would be sad to avoid it just because the port is an hour plus away. We are sailing from Rome (for the second time) next May, so will be visiting Rome (for the 5th time) prior to boarding, for 4 days.

While there are things to see outside of Rome, again, really tough to miss all the MANY things one of the worlds greatest cities has to offer.

49 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you want to see Rome, no doubt stay in Rome. It isn't that hard to get from Rome to the port on the day you sail. Rome is an amazing city, and it would be sad to avoid it just because the port is an hour plus away. We are sailing from Rome (for the second time) next May, so will be visiting Rome (for the 5th time) prior to boarding, for 4 days.

While there are things to see outside of Rome, again, really tough to miss all the MANY things one of the worlds greatest cities has to offer.

We are also sailing on May 6 on Epic and are planning on flying out on May 2nd and spending our days before the cruise in Rome. Since you have done this before what is your recommendation on getting from Rome to the port? Have to admit a little anxiety about this part of our travels.

1 hour ago, Dixe Lee said:

We are also sailing on May 6 on Epic and are planning on flying out on May 2nd and spending our days before the cruise in Rome. Since you have done this before what is your recommendation on getting from Rome to the port? Have to admit a little anxiety about this part of our travels.

There are a number of options. If you want the least hassle (but probably most expensive) option, there are a couple of private transfers that are frequently recommended on these boards: RomeinLimo and Rome Cabs. Do a search to find lots of glowing reviews. The cost for a private transfer for two runs about 130-160 euro, depending on the agency, but you are picked up at your hotel and dropped off at the ship or ship terminal (as close as they can get). If you get together a small group, the cost per person decreases.

There are also shared shuttle options -- you get the same service (hotel to ship) but are sharing with others, so your driver may make additional stops after picking you up. Cost for these shared shuttles is around 60-90 euros for a couple. One I've used several times and recommended to others is Romashuttle.com

Finally, you can take a train from Rome. It is the least expensive option per person (cost around $10-20 per person based on type of ticket/train). However, there is some hassle involved and you MUST be able to manage your own luggage not only off and on the train but also from the train to the port gates (via walking or public bus) and then on and off the free port shuttle that will take you to your ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dixe Lee said:

There are many threads discussing transport options Rome-Civi. We will use Rome in Limo, a wonderful company we have used many times in Italy.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

There are a number of options. If you want the least hassle (but probably most expensive) option, there are a couple of private transfers that are frequently recommended on these boards: RomeinLimo and Rome Cabs. Do a search to find lots of glowing reviews. The cost for a private transfer for two runs about 130-160 euro, depending on the agency, but you are picked up at your hotel and dropped off at the ship or ship terminal (as close as they can get). If you get together a small group, the cost per person decreases.

There are also shared shuttle options -- you get the same service (hotel to ship) but are sharing with others, so your driver may make additional stops after picking you up. Cost for these shared shuttles is around 60-90 euros for a couple. One I've used several times and recommended to others is Romashuttle.com

Finally, you can take a train from Rome. It is the least expensive option per person (cost around $10-20 per person based on type of ticket/train). However, there is some hassle involved and you MUST be able to manage your own luggage not only off and on the train but also from the train to the port gates (via walking or public bus) and then on and off the free port shuttle that will take you to your ship.

Thanks for that great information 😃

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

There are many threads discussing transport options Rome-Civi. We will use Rome in Limo, a wonderful company we have used many times in Italy.

You are so right lots of threads almost makes me dizzy. Your recommendation along with “cruisemom42” helps us narrow down the choices. We are very appreciative. 

On 12/22/2019 at 5:24 PM, Dixe Lee said:

I am a fairly frugal traveller and do like to DIY as much as possible.  I have been multiple times on Western Med cruises, only from Barcelona though.  

CruiseMom has given you very sensible advice.  Taking the train is a perfectly easy thing to do, especially if you have got time in Rome before embarkation day, so you can learn where the platform is and how to validate your train ticket, but your ability to handle your luggage has to be one of the major considerations.  

However I would also add that  how close your hotel is to Termini Station is also a point to consider.    If you already have to get a cab to Termini, getting the luggage in and out, I would be tempted to say “heck I am on Vacation” and book.a fixed fare car directly to the port.  

2 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

your ability to handle your luggage has to be one of the major considerations.  

However I would also add that  how close your hotel is to Termini Station is also a point to consider.    If you already have to get a cab to Termini, getting the luggage in and out, I would be tempted to say “heck I am on Vacation” and book.a fixed fare car directly to the port.  

Being able to handle our luggage is one of the main takeaways we have gotten from all of the threads we have read on this subject so we will be packing with that in mind for sure.  And your point on being on vacation and booking a fixed fare car is also well taken. Thanks for the great information and advice. 

• Like 1

We used a shared shuttle through www.romeHabicabs.com three times for transportation from FCO to our hotel in Rome- 36 Euros for two people, and from the same hotel to the port- 65 Euro for two people, and then from port to Ostia- 65 Euros for two people. It worked out well and we didn't have to schlep our luggage.

4 hours ago, Dixe Lee said:

Being able to handle our luggage is one of the main takeaways we have gotten from all of the threads we have read on this subject so we will be packing with that in mind for sure.  And your point on being on vacation and booking a fixed fare car is also well taken. Thanks for the great information and advice. 

This issue cannot be overstated.  Once you arrive at the Civitavecchia train station it is very likely that you will have to haul yourself and your luggage down a long industrial-type stairway, walk through a tunnel under some tracks, and then trek up another long stairway.  Mobile folks can handle the stairs, but it is quite difficult if you are trying to haul 100 pounds of luggage.  I should also mention that the platform (in Rome's main Termini Station) used for the regional trains to Civitavecchia is a very long way from the station entrance.  We are talking about the equivalent of at least a 3-4 block walk (within the station).  You will need to roll your own luggage which is a consideration for some folks.  And keep in mind that once you exit the Civitavecchia train station you still must get to the port and your pier.  This can involve using buses (with one transfer) or trying to find a taxi (not always possible).

I will admit that even though we know (first hand) all the options we also read Cruisemom's posts and advice on this transfer issue.  We have used the trains many times, but as the years past (and we age) the thought of all the hassles (with trains) does not make me a happy camper :).  I am actually thinking that on our next visit (next year) we might take advantage of our friends at RomeCabs and just kiss off a pile of Euros.  Keep in mind that if you use a licensed transfer company (or most taxis) you can go directly from your Rome hotel to your pier facility.  Speaking of Civitavecchia piers, we recently had our first experience with the new large terminal building (which only serves one pier) and it was a very nice facility.  Perhaps, in the future, there will be other new terminals constructed at this very busy port.

Hank

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

We used a shared shuttle through www.romeHabicabs.com three times for transportation from FCO to our hotel in Rome- 36 Euros for two people, and from the same hotel to the port- 65 Euro for two people, and then from port to Ostia- 65 Euros for two people. It worked out well and we didn't have to schlep our luggage.

Those are reasonable rates. Who arranges the shared shuttle? We would not mind at all sharing a shuttle to the port Great way to meet other people on our cruise!

41 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

This issue cannot be overstated.  Once you arrive at the Civitavecchia train station it is very likely that you will have to haul yourself and your luggage down a long industrial-type stairway, walk through a tunnel under some tracks, and then trek up another long stairway.  Mobile folks can handle the stairs, but it is quite difficult if you are trying to haul 100 pounds of luggage.  I should also mention that the platform (in Rome's main Termini Station) used for the regional trains to Civitavecchia is a very long way from the station entrance.  We are talking about the equivalent of at least a 3-4 block walk (within the station).  You will need to roll your own luggage which is a consideration for some folks.  And keep in mind that once you exit the Civitavecchia train station you still must get to the port and your pier.  This can involve using buses (with one transfer) or trying to find a taxi (not always possible).

I will admit that even though we know (first hand) all the options we also read Cruisemom's posts and advice on this transfer issue.  We have used the trains many times, but as the years past (and we age) the thought of all the hassles (with trains) does not make me a happy camper :).  I am actually thinking that on our next visit (next year) we might take advantage of our friends at RomeCabs and just kiss off a pile of Euros.  Keep in mind that if you use a licensed transfer company (or most taxis) you can go directly from your Rome hotel to your pier facility.  Speaking of Civitavecchia piers, we recently had our first experience with the new large terminal building (which only serves one pier) and it was a very nice facility.  Perhaps, in the future, there will be other new terminals constructed at this very busy port.

Hank

We sailed out of Southampton last year first cruise to Europe and found that we had a LOT of luggage to maneuver around since we also took a 5 day road trip after the cruise so we will definitely scale back this time Also think that there is a bit of a difference between being in an English speaking country and what we will find in Italy. A challenge we are up for but have to admit we will be relieved once on the ship and sailing away 😬

1 hour ago, Dixe Lee said:

Those are reasonable rates. Who arranges the shared shuttle? We would not mind at all sharing a shuttle to the port Great way to meet other people on our cruise!

Each person arranges their own. Go to the habicabs site and look under the shared shuttle arrangement. You pick the time you want to be picked up and the site shows how many seats are still available for that time. No need to coordinate with strangers!  

2 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Each person arranges their own. Go to the habicabs site and look under the shared shuttle arrangement. You pick the time you want to be picked up and the site shows how many seats are still available for that time. No need to coordinate with strangers!  

👍

3 hours ago, Dixe Lee said:

We sailed out of Southampton last year first cruise to Europe and found that we had a LOT of luggage to maneuver around since we also took a 5 day road trip after the cruise so we will definitely scale back this time Also think that there is a bit of a difference between being in an English speaking country and what we will find in Italy. A challenge we are up for but have to admit we will be relieved once on the ship and sailing away 😬

I think the language "challenge" is more in peoples minds rather then a real problem.  Many folks (especially those involved with the tourist industry) speak and understand some English.  You will find that many cafes and restaurants have menus in multiple languages.  But keep in mind that pasta is pasta, pizza is pizza, etc.  I have had more language difficulties in Miami then in Italy :).  We always suggest that anyone embarking or disembarking a cruise in Italy try to find the time and money to enjoy a few days or weeks on land.  We have never regretted the time spent in Italy and always find ourselves going back to Italy whenever possible.  Good food, good wine, wonderful people, many charming areas.....etc etc.

Hank

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I think the language "challenge" is more in peoples minds rather then a real problem.  Many folks (especially those involved with the tourist industry) speak and understand some English.  You will find that many cafes and restaurants have menus in multiple languages.  But keep in mind that pasta is pasta, pizza is pizza, etc.  I have had more language difficulties in Miami then in Italy :).  We always suggest that anyone embarking or disembarking a cruise in Italy try to find the time and money to enjoy a few days or weeks on land.  We have never regretted the time spent in Italy and always find ourselves going back to Italy whenever possible.  Good food, good wine, wonderful people, many charming areas.....etc etc.

Hank

Very reassuring and positive advice. Thanks Hank!