Jump to content

Marella Discovery Itinerary Change. Colours of the Far East (Merged threads).


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, ekco said:

Keith, see Margaret’s post earlier today.  They are not going to Malacca.  Never mind.

Don't understand why atm. I guess being 304 nm from Malacca to Langkawi it makes them late getting to the turnaround stop...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m just hoping they get to Langkawi before noon as my revised itinerary states 18.00 which would be useless.  It would be a rush just having the afternoon as we have to pack that evening before leaving the next morning for the airport but better than arriving late.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ekco said:

I’m just hoping they get to Langkawi before noon as my revised itinerary states 18.00 which would be useless.  It would be a rush just having the afternoon as we have to pack that evening before leaving the next morning for the airport but better than arriving late.

It all seems a bit strange to me.

1. The ship has been travelling at a fair speed 18/19 and now 20 knots.

2. As Margaret has said they have found time at some of the ports they didn't think they had, Pattaya/Thailand for one.

3. Still not heard anything from TUI about any changes to our itinerary, still plenty of time of course.

I'm still hopefull the problem maybe fixed sooner rather than later with the ship, for both of us. I've got everything crossed.

Edited by Southendweather
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very difficult to shut aircon off without setting the thermostat at the temperature in the room which would have to be the same temperature as outside the cabin Dont think you'd want your cabin at the temperatures outside even at night it would be very warm

So the aircon would be working overtime to keep your cabin cool with the doors open

The aircon is ducted into the cabins you don't have your own unit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Captain says we will be alongside in Langkawi at 8am tomorrow Thursday.

It is not hot on the balcony at night you need a fleece/sweater so hot air is not rushing into cabin . At night it is quite chilly in cabin so we turn the aircon as low as possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Margaret Rees said:

The Captain says we will be alongside in Langkawi at 8am tomorrow Thursday.

It is not hot on the balcony at night you need a fleece/sweater so hot air is not rushing into cabin . At night it is quite chilly in cabin so we turn the aircon as low as possible.

Does anyone know what the normal speed that Discovery does when everything is working okay? I've also been tracking Discovery 2 in the Caribbean and I haven't yet seen it as fast as our one. e.g. Discovery currently doing 19 knots, Discover 2 18 knots with a day at sea ahead, mindyou the Caribbean is a bit rough atm with a 2.8m swell. I just wonder where it's losing it's time and missing ports. From Wikipedea:

Speed: 24 knots (44 km/h; 28 mph)

But I don't think they ever plan to go at full speed as it's not economical with fuel.

 

Keith (Southend)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just logged into my account and noticed the outbound flight is now 01:45 on the 13th February landing at 21:00 13th February. That's an hour later than the email they sent on the 2nd January. Not had an email yet of this change, I get a feeling there's one coming soon 😞

 

Keith (Southend)

Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s good news about Langkawi, I hope we get there at that time.  We would 

like to do the mangrove trip but not sure if we should book it or not.  On that point, we were specifically told on the phone on Sunday that there is no excursion booking online.  Well, we used the link posted on this thread, as the one from the account doesn’t work, and booked two more trips as we can always cancel later.  That just leaves Penang and Langkawi to buy onboard if possible.  Interesting to hear you need something on your arms on the balcony.

 

Keith, you need to phone and find out on this number 0203451 2688 quoting your reference number.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ekco said:

That’s good news about Langkawi, I hope we get there at that time.  We would 

like to do the mangrove trip but not sure if we should book it or not.  On that point, we were specifically told on the phone on Sunday that there is no excursion booking online.  Well, we used the link posted on this thread, as the one from the account doesn’t work, and booked two more trips as we can always cancel later.  That just leaves Penang and Langkawi to buy onboard if possible.  Interesting to hear you need something on your arms on the balcony.

 

Keith, you need to phone and find out on this number 0203451 2688 quoting your reference number.

 

 

Thanks for the contact number ekco, I'll save that on my holiday spreadsheet. I'll wait until either nearer the time (28 days still to go) or when/if I get another email from TUI as I don't think they will tell me anymore than what I already know and probably just read from the script. I still think they are hoping the problem maybe fixed but are not certain precisely when for numerous logistical reasons. Whatever happens, there's nothing we can do about it. It does seem to me they are changing the itinerary on the hoof, I'd be interested to know when Margaret was told about missing Malacca?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Vitalsign said:

Very difficult to shut aircon off without setting the thermostat at the temperature in the room which would have to be the same temperature as outside the cabin Dont think you'd want your cabin at the temperatures outside even at night it would be very warm

So the aircon would be working overtime to keep your cabin cool with the doors open

The aircon is ducted into the cabins you don't have your own unit.

Cheers,this subject has been discussed many times across the boards.A group of cabins shares a "minisystem".If a cabin has balcony doors open,it upsets the air change balance and can knock out all the cabins on that system.Not being a smartass,just repeating what I have read here and will be of advantage to anyone that don't know this,regards, Brian.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Margaret Rees said:

We were told about missing Malacca and Koh Samui on Friday December 20 . No further mention of Malacca on board but revised arrival time in Langkawi notified by Captain very early in the cruise .

Thanks Margaret, I get muddled with different people going at different times. So you were notified about 3 weeks prior to departure, I'm still 4 weeks yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been back less than a week. Agree with Margaret about visas for Cambodia. We did take passport photos but no chance to use them - just charged £23pp. Great fun filling in the forms on a bouncy bus from the airport - could anybody read what we wrote? We had prior info from friends about Sihanoukville and chose not to get off there. Having seen the photos and heard the comments from people who went, apparently you have to do it for the "experience". No thanks. As pointed out by a Destination Services rep,  Marella only offers variations of excursions around Sihanoukville - whether it is coach, tuktuk or anything else you don't get outside the city.

 

Having booked the Mangrove excursion for Day 1 in Langkawi, we were concerned at the loss of a day. However Marella moved us to Day 2 excursion so all was ok eventually. Plant a mangrove! You may be lucky to understand if you have the same guide. But watch out for the monkeys. Fortunately my phone was in a zipped pocket - a little hand was delving in an empty pocket. Such an innocent look!

 

For us the highlight was the evening extension in Singapore. We spent most of the day at Gardens by the Bay and stayed for the light show without going back to the ship. For us that late night in Singapore made up for any loss of ports. I doubt you will get that opportunity on many other cruises.

 

Anyway enjoy - most other cruises of the region don't include Malacca or Koh Samui but charge more so still good value if they are missed. We chose to enjoy the extra sea days to relax.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to let anyone know who is traveling from Manchester on 30 th  Jan, I was able to check in on line this morning so well before 3pm time stated on documents. Went via TUI. Very excited now x

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...