Silly American Football Question

Jonibme

Good day!

Some of us Americans are fans of the National Football League. We love our Football! Well, there is an annual event known as the "Super Bowl" scheduled to be played on February 2nd, 2020 in Miami Florida. I know that would be played on 2/4 by your calendar down under... We have been at sea for SUper Bowl games before and it was always televised in  one of the theaters or at MUTS on the Princess ships we were on...

It occurred to me that those ships all sailed out of American ports so the passengers were more American than global tourist by demographic... so probably more interested passengers on those manifests... So I wondered if the Super Bowl is popular Down Under? Should we expect it to be televised on the Sea Princess or should I be looking for a way to stream it? My Princess Travel Planner had absolutely no information for me on this topic... Obviously we will have a glorious day at Sea regardless of viewing the Super Bowl... but I am curious...

Thanks for your opinions and information!

Joni

I would be surprised if it is not shown either on the satellite sport channel or in a bar.

the Super Bowl will be on land TV here, (Chanel 7 I think) but you won’t find many people that regularly follow the game, most Aussies are put off by the constant stoppages and all the protective gear. It gets a bit of a boost every time an Aussie looks like they may get a go.

Many years ago I played in a local competition mainly as a linesman and quickly decided if the ditched the padding, the stoppages and the idea of separate teams for attack defence and for goodness sake even kicking I could have grown to like the game. But all those things meant there was no attrition due to players tiring and 3 or 4 hours to play a game that could have easily been wrapped up in an hour and a half was just crazy.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I would be surprised if it is not shown either on the satellite sport channel or in a bar.

the Super Bowl will be on land TV here, (Chanel 7 I think) but you won’t find many people that regularly follow the game, most Aussies are put off by the constant stoppages and all the protective gear. It gets a bit of a boost every time an Aussie looks like they may get a go.

Many years ago I played in a local competition mainly as a linesman and quickly decided if the ditched the padding, the stoppages and the idea of separate teams for attack defence and for goodness sake even kicking I could have grown to like the game. But all those things meant there was no attrition due to players tiring and 3 or 4 hours to play a game that could have easily been wrapped up in an hour and a half was just crazy.

They can sell/drink more beer when the games are so long.

Except where I went to university, they were not allowed to sell beer in the stadium.

36 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

They can sell/drink more beer when the games are so long.

Except where I went to university, they were not allowed to sell beer in the stadium.

They seem to sell plenty at Aussie rules and league games, and a ridiculous prices too.

• Like 1

So was that a silly question  about American football or a question about silly American football 😂😂😁😁🤔🤔 I am pretty sure that it will be shown on the ship. The big events like the Super Bowl etc are pretty popular down under.

On 12/26/2019 at 3:16 PM, GUT2407 said:

Yes I can certainly see how those things about the game would annoy me more (they already do in some cases) if I had other options! I have watched your game and find it to be lots of fun!

Thanks for the great insight! I am sure it will be fun to watch with an international crowd!

On 12/26/2019 at 8:12 PM, gbenjo said:

So was that a silly question  about American football or a question about silly American football 😂😂😁😁🤔🤔 I am pretty sure that it will be shown on the ship. The big events like the Super Bowl etc are pretty popular down under.

Thank you for reading the humor into it! I figured it the question could be considered silly from more than one perspective so I just through it out there. It's all about having fun! 

It is great to hear that the game will probably be available. It is always fun to watch these sorts of events with a more international crowd.  We caught it once on a Panama Canal cruise and it was quite interesting to watch with Germans, French and Asians... they laughed at the commercials a lot more than I did... but it was lots of fun.

Late to the party but "silly" and "American football" should never be in the same sentence.

I kid. And I completely agree that the stoppages (such a nice polite way of saying "sell more crap") are way too much. It has ruined my love of American football.