Porthole Cabins

Cincy2

We are booked for our 3rd cruise.  Our first was an ocean view on the Conquest, the second a cove balcony on the Dream and now we have booked a port hole on the Valor.  We have decided we won't know what we like the best if we don't try them out. 
I loved the cove balcony because it was so close to the water but I don't think we utilized the balcony enough to justify the extra cost for a higher balcony.  
I'm excited to check it out.  The only real negative feedback I've received is the loud noise when docking but we will be getting up for excursions anyway so I'm not too concerned about that.  Neither of us have ever gotten sea sick but I am a little nervous being that close to the front of the ship.  We will be in 1217 on the Valor. 🙂 

5 hours ago, RollTide73 said:

We are booked for our 3rd cruise.  Our first was an ocean view on the Conquest, the second a cove balcony on the Dream and now we have booked a port hole on the Valor.  We have decided we won't know what we like the best if we don't try them out. 
I loved the cove balcony because it was so close to the water but I don't think we utilized the balcony enough to justify the extra cost for a higher balcony.  
I'm excited to check it out.  The only real negative feedback I've received is the loud noise when docking but we will be getting up for excursions anyway so I'm not too concerned about that.  Neither of us have ever gotten sea sick but I am a little nervous being that close to the front of the ship.  We will be in 1217 on the Valor. 🙂 

Noise when docking not a big deal. But if you cannot get used to the sea banging against the hull. You may not get much sleep.

• Like 1

Porthole is a great room. When we had it, we rotated the bed so that head of bed was right under the porthole. And we would also sit in the porthole window and read. We were in U16 on the Paradise, I don't recall a couch, but it was a long time ago.

Florida_Cruise_Jan_2013_124_Small.jpg

2 minutes ago, five. said:

Porthole is a great room. When we had it, we rotated the bed so that head of bed was right under the porthole. And we would also sit in the porthole window and read. We were in U16 on the Paradise, I don't recall a couch, but it was a long time ago.

Perfect for those " you're not sleeping in our bed " nights 😉 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, five. said:

Porthole is a great room. When we had it, we rotated the bed so that head of bed was right under the porthole. And we would also sit in the porthole window and read.

I did the same thing when we had an ocean view on the Conquest.  I would also enjoy my breakfast room service sitting in the window.  

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

Noise when docking not a big deal. But if you cannot get used to the sea banging against the hull. You may not get much sleep.

True.  I'm not so concerned about noise.  My husband can sleep through anything and I can always make do.  I more concerned about getting sick.  I will be prepared!  HA! 

3 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Once I learned what to hell that noise was I was fine. From then on it became like the constant rhythmic beat like the tick-tock of Grandma's Grandfather clock. Booked in 2211 porthole on the PANORAMA in 11 days. Starting to get a little excited with all the last minute stuff (that's what I hate the most)

Edited by glrounds
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

I was surprised on the Splendor for 31 days in a porthole cabin, I think maybe I heard a couple of waves hit, and this was crossing the Pacific. It was very quiet in that respect.

I love Portholes!  We had one on our most recent cruise aboard the Elation and I loved it.  Excellent value yet you still get some natural light. We were in M29, which is the furthest back PT and is bumped up against an OV yet it was about $150 cheaper.   There was some noise when the anchor dropped in port but I'm an early riser anyway so it didn't bother me.  I don't recall hearing waves crashing either but I have a portable travel fan I sleep with so that may have masked the noise (or we just didn't have rough seas - I don't remember it being an issue).  I just booked another PT on the Fascination for a cruise out of San Juan in 2021.

Someone also mentioned the 4J cabins, which I highly recommend on ships that have them!  I did one on the Vista and will be in one again this fall on the Magic.  They're a bit smaller and don't have the couch but I enjoyed the view and the easy access to the front decks during sail away or arriving into/leaving port.  

I will add that for some, being all the way forward is discouraging especially if you spend most of your time in the aft.  However for me, I enjoy walking around the ship and almost always take the stairs anyway, so I don't mind it. 

12 minutes ago, iheartmarshall said:

I will add that for some, being all the way forward is discouraging especially if you spend most of your time in the aft.  However for me, I enjoy walking around the ship and almost always take the stairs anyway, so I don't mind it. 

HA!  I've had several mention this to me.  I need the extra steps with all the extra food we eat.  Walking the ship won't be an issue for us as we tend to explore everything anyway. 

Thank you all for the info.  I am excited to try this different room type.

I am certainly glad the 4J is a little bit unknown.  We always book well in advance and have a 4J the last two cruises.  We are sailing on the Horizon in March and have one again.  I certainly don't mind the extra steps.  I am an early riser, so no issues for me.  We had a balcony on one cruise and I didn't think we utilized it enough.  I will stick with this any time I can,

17 minutes ago, MamaBraz said:

I am certainly glad the 4J is a little bit unknown.  We always book well in advance and have a 4J the last two cruises.  We are sailing on the Horizon in March and have one again.  I certainly don't mind the extra steps.  I am an early riser, so no issues for me.  We had a balcony on one cruise and I didn't think we utilized it enough.  I will stick with this any time I can,

We'd like to try one but the lack of a couch and coffee table is a deal breaker.