First Time FLYER...Help

Davis2010

1 minute ago, Zach1213 said:

Exactly what kind of help are you looking for? 

Honestly, everything. We have never flown before. I have no idea what to expect. If you had some beginner tips for someone or really important advice, what would it be?

6 minutes ago, Davis2010 said:

Honestly, everything. We have never flown before. I have no idea what to expect. If you had some beginner tips for someone or really important advice, what would it be?

What's your exact route, including layover(s)? That would help. 

What's your exact route, including layover(s)? That would help. 

Flights to Cruise

Jacksonville, FL May 9th - 6:00AM to Dallas/Ft. Worth - 7:37AM

Dallas/Ft. Worth - 9:00AM to Seattle - 11:15AM

Flights Returning Home

May 16th: Seattle - 12:05PM to Dallas/Ft. Worth - 6:10PM

Dallas/Ft. Worth - 8:30PM to Jacksonville - 11:56PM

9 minutes ago, Davis2010 said:

Flights to Cruise

Jacksonville, FL May 9th - 6:00AM to Dallas/Ft. Worth - 7:37AM

Dallas/Ft. Worth - 9:00AM to Seattle - 11:15AM

Flights Returning Home

May 16th: Seattle - 12:05PM to Dallas/Ft. Worth - 6:10PM

Dallas/Ft. Worth - 8:30PM to Jacksonville - 11:56PM

It'll all be pretty easy. Choose your seats with the AA locator code by accessing your reservation on AA's website if you haven't already, if you're able to. You can check in online 24 hours in advance, but you don't need to (but I would), again via AA.com or the AA app on your mobile device.

Jacksonville is such an easy airport, you don't need to show up more than two hours in advance with checked bags, and even that will be more than enough. 90 minutes should be absolutely plenty. If you have a bag to drop, head to the counter to do so and then to security. Read up on TSA liquid requirements for your carry-on bags. Once you drop your bag at JAX, you won't see it again until SEA. 

DFW is an easy layover, despite being huge. You may or may not need to change terminals, but that will be easy - after you exit your JAX-DFW flight, find your next gate (or onboard via the AA app using their WiFi, which allows free access of AA website). If it's in the same terminal (A, B, C, D) you can just walk; if it's in another terminal, each terminal has two points of access for the train connecting all terminals (there is also a Terminal E, but you're unlikely to use that). This does NOT require you do leave or re-clear security; all trains are inside security. Get off at the stop closest to your next gate. Your layovers leave plenty of time, so you may even want to familiarize yourself with bars and restaurants should either appeal to you. DFW has some good food and drink options, though at typically high airport prices. 

No free meals on the flights. Non-alcoholic beverages will be free; booze will cost. This assumes you're in economy class; in First, it'll all be free. 

Landing in SEA, look for signs to baggage claim. Once in that area, there will be a board that shows which baggage claim number your flight will dump bags at. Then, follow signs for however you plan to get around from there (car rental, public transit, hotel shuttles, etc.). 

Edited by Zach1213

It'll all be pretty easy. Choose your seats with the AA locator code by accessing your reservation on AA's website if you haven't already, if you're able to. You can check in online 24 hours in advance, but you don't need to (but I would), again via AA.com or the AA app on your mobile device.

Jacksonville is such an easy airport, you don't need to show up more than two hours in advance with checked bags, and even that will be more than enough. 90 minutes should be absolutely plenty. Read up on TSA liquid requirements for your carry-on bags.

DFW is an easy layover, despite being huge. You may or may not need to change terminals, but that will be easy - after you exit your JAX-DFW flight, find your next gate (or onboard via the AA app using their WiFi, which allows free access of AA website). If it's in the same terminal (A, B, C, D) you can just walk; if it's in another terminal, each terminal has two points of access for the train connecting all terminals (there is also a Terminal E, but you're unlikely to use that). This does NOT require you do leave or re-clear security; all trains are inside security. Get off at the stop closest to your next gate. Your layovers leave plenty of time, so you may even want to familiarize yourself with bars and restaurants should either appeal to you. DFW has some good food and drink options, though at typically high airport prices. 

No free meals on the flights. Non-alcoholic beverages will be free; booze will cost. This assumes you're in economy class; in First, it'll all be free. 

Landing in SEA, look for signs to baggage claim. Once in that area, there will be a board that shows which baggage claim number your flight will dump bags at. Then, follow signs for however you plan to get around from there (car rental, public transit, hotel shuttles, etc.). 

Fabulous! Thank you so much! Are their any restrictions for me taking a bag on the plane with me? What about restrictions for my luggage? Am I allowed more than one suitcase? Sorry! I truly have no idea when it comes to flying.

8 minutes ago, Davis2010 said:

Fabulous! Thank you so much! Are their any restrictions for me taking a bag on the plane with me? What about restrictions for my luggage? Am I allowed more than one suitcase? Sorry! I truly have no idea when it comes to flying.

Yes you can check in multiple suitcases, but understand there's a fee for each. Flight attendant should have explained that to you before booking you on AA, but here's a list of prices - https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/checked-baggage-policy.jsp. There's also a tab there to explain carry-on baggage. 

4 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Yes you can check in multiple suitcases, but understand there's a fee for each. Flight attendant should have explained that to you before booking you on AA, but here's a list of prices - https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/checked-baggage-policy.jsp. There's also a tab there to explain carry-on baggage. 

Our TA booked everything for us.

4 minutes ago, Davis2010 said:

Our TA booked everything for us.

I get that. My point was that a good TA should know and explain different baggage options and fees associated with different airlines and fare types before just booking you on something and making you figure it out yourself. We're all happy to do so here, and don't think I'm knocking you...I'm really knocking your TA for not passing on all of the (often very important) information. 

4 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

I get that. My point was that a good TA should know and explain different baggage options and fees associated with different airlines and fare types before just booking you on something and making you figure it out yourself. We're all happy to do so here, and don't think I'm knocking you...I'm really knocking your TA for not passing on all of the (often very important) information. 

Thank you. This is my first time using a TA and to be honest I’m less than impressed. Aside from the fact that letting them handle it all has been awesome. I keep asking questions about the cruise or excursions or flight and I keep getting responses like “well once it’s paid in full I can check that” etc

3 minutes ago, Davis2010 said:

Thank you. This is my first time using a TA and to be honest I’m less than impressed. Aside from the fact that letting them handle it all has been awesome. I keep asking questions about the cruise or excursions or flight and I keep getting responses like “well once it’s paid in full I can check that” etc

This is one of the many knocks on cruiseline-procured airfare. Often, your flights aren't actually ticketed until you pay your full cruise fare. This also means your flights may change airlines, times, connection points, etc. until you're actually ticketed. Or they may not. Generally, for domestic US flights, the cruiseline doesn't save much if any airfare versus just booking it as any other customer via the airline's website. Just something to keep in mind for future trips. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davis2010 said:

We are flying from Florida to Seattle to catch an Alaska cruise. We have never flown before. I need all the help in the world! Thank you!

Our TA booked flights through Princess EZair on American Airlines. 

Are you flying to Seattle the same day as the cruise departs?

I don't know about Princess EZairs rules but I assume that they will help you if one of your flights are delayed or cancelled. If you fly the same day as the cruise my advice is to research which options you have to get to Seattle in time for your cruise in case something happen. Even if Princess EZair will help you it's good to know which options you have.

35 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Are you flying to Seattle the same day as the cruise departs?

I don't know about Princess EZairs rules but I assume that they will help you if one of your flights are delayed or cancelled. If you fly the same day as the cruise my advice is to research which options you have to get to Seattle in time for your cruise in case something happen. Even if Princess EZair will help you it's good to know which options you have.

We are flying in the same day. We leave Jacksonville FL at 6AM.

Given you're changing in changing in DFW, I'll assume you're taking American Airlines

The Airport:

You'll arrive at the airport and checkin desk, and you'll need to present ID (Passport is best), along with the 6 character record locator for your flight.  In general that's not even strictly necessary, just get to the checkin counter with your name, and passport, and they'll tag your checked luggage (after extracting some money from you).  Often airlines allow you to (don'tfly AA often so don't know for them) you may be able to pre-pay any checked bags on the AA website, and get a slightly cheaper checked bag rate.  You should probably aim to arrive at the airport 2hrs prior to departure, and the plan will start loading 30-45 mins prior to departure.  Look for big departure gate arrays of TV screens to show which gate your airplane leaves from.

CARRY ON:

yes you carry on a bag, but it needs to a 'carry on sized' or smaller.  For most US airlines that's 22 x 14 x 9".  There are a number of restrictions of what you CAN'T put in a carry on bag, and all liquids that you carry on must be all put in a large separate ziploc bag that you'll need to extract during security containing items that have no more than 100mL (about 3 fl oz) total capacity (and no a 150mL that's half full doesn't cut it).   Also, you're generally limited to ONE Carryon + ONE Personal Item (purse etc).  Don't be someone who tries to board with 3 shopping bags, a laptop bag, a carryon bag.....  For a list of the restrictions for carryon luggage, see the TSA website: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule

Pack your necessary medication in your carry on, not in your checked luggage.  Also, remember to put critical documentation with you and not in your checked luggage.

CHECKED LUGGAGE:

For each checked bag, you'll be limited to approx 50lb, and you'll pay for each and every checked bag. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/checked-baggage-policy.jsp  There are also a few things you can't put in checked bags, like batteries that must be carried in Carry-on (see above link).  Unless you have a brightly coloured/distinct suitcase, tie a coloured ribbon to the handle so it's obvious it's yours (more importantly, obvious to someone else it isn't theirs).  A lot of luggage gets lost by the wrong person grabbing it off the belt.

SECURITY SCREENING:

You'll need Photo ID (drivers license) for every traveller.  As you're taking a cruise leaving the country, do the smart thing, get a passport.  While it's not strictly necessary for a Seattle-Alaska-Seattle cruise (returning to the same port), because you visit Canada you really should get one.  You'll need to go through security screening, and they'll want you to take out any significant electronic items from your carryon, as well as the aformentioned ziplock with your liquids.

ID:

I already said "Get a passport", so I'll just say it again here.  Get a passport.

FOOD/DRINK:

Airlines will have free soft-drinks, and paid alcohol on board. There will also be buy on board options for food (nothing other than perhaps some pretzels is free these days).  Avoid Caffeine, stay calm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Davis2010 said:

We are flying in the same day. We leave Jacksonville FL at 6AM.

This is not good, and here's why.

The PVSA (this is a law that applies to all passenger vessels sailing in US waters) states that no foreign-flagged ship can transport passengers between two different US ports without stopping at a distant foreign port. Round-trip cruises from a US port are allowed as long as they call at any foreign port, which for Alaska cruises out of Seattle usually means a call at Victoria. Now ordinarily if you miss embarkation, you can fly to the first port of call and board there; however, in order to comply with the PVSA, this port needs to be a non-US port, which for a round-trip Seattle Alaska itinerary means you would need to embark in Victoria. If Victoria is the first port, fine, you just lose a day; but if Victoria is at the end of the cruise, which it frequently is, you miss out on every port of call but the last. Basically, it's an all-or-nothing situation.

Cruisers are frequently urged to fly in a day before embarkation, but this really is a situation where it's virtually a must, as there's very little room for error and a delayed flight could mean missing your entire cruise.

• Like 2

Do not be afraid to say at the airport 'this is my first time flying; what do I need to do?'. Everyone at the airport assumes you know the rules and guidelines and is then likely to assume you're breaking them out of arrogance rather than ignorance. 

TSA rules are random and arbitrary, even for those of us who pay for expedited screening. It's not about you; it's about them pretending to be good at their jobs. Politely follow instructions from them because they can determine if you'll grt on a plane or not but don't take anything they say personally. (I've encountered some real screamers over the years)

If your flight is delayed, remain close to the gate area. New departure times can go back and forth during a delay, especially in a hub airport like DFW where they might be able to swap planes around to get the schedule back on track. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scottbee said:

ID:

I already said "Get a passport", so I'll just say it again here.  Get a passport.

We have had passports since we were teenagers for our church mission trips, but we always took a charter bus to Texas from Florida. So we've never had to fly. BUT I did mail off our updated docs and info to renew our passports for this trip 🙂

1 hour ago, Twickenham said:

This is not good, and here's why.

The PVSA (this is a law that applies to all passenger vessels sailing in US waters) states that no foreign-flagged ship can transport passengers between two different US ports without stopping at a distant foreign port. Round-trip cruises from a US port are allowed as long as they call at any foreign port, which for Alaska cruises out of Seattle usually means a call at Victoria. Now ordinarily if you miss embarkation, you can fly to the first port of call and board there; however, in order to comply with the PVSA, this port needs to be a non-US port, which for a round-trip Seattle Alaska itinerary means you would need to embark in Victoria. If Victoria is the first port, fine, you just lose a day; but if Victoria is at the end of the cruise, which it frequently is, you miss out on every port of call but the last. Basically, it's an all-or-nothing situation.

Cruisers are frequently urged to fly in a day before embarkation, but this really is a situation where it's virtually a must, as there's very little room for error and a delayed flight could mean missing your entire cruise.

I'll be honest with you. This post is freaking me out a bit. Our TA has assured us we will be fine with all the plans she has scheduled for us. 

35 minutes ago, Davis2010 said:

I'll be honest with you. This post is freaking me out a bit. Our TA has assured us we will be fine with all the plans she has scheduled for us. 

Can your TA change to flights the day before? This would be a relaxing way to better insure you get to the ship on time. Stay at a hotel near the port and start your vacation a day early. Otherwise Princess' EZAIR site says "Rest easy that you'll make your cruise if flights are delayed or canceled..." so there is some type of "backup plan" thru Princess, though I don't know the details.

Keep asking questions. Everyone here is happy to help.

32 minutes ago, Davis2010 said:

It's facts.  Travel agents are often just order takers, who give you whatever the cruiseline offers without really knowing the cold realities of the itineraries they sell.

It seems that Princess stops in Victoria at the end of the cruise.  As mentioned, this would effectively negate your trip if you miss the ship's departure from Seattle.

The good news is that there are a few other AA flights that could get you out of JAX and into SEA before 1pm.  But you wouldn't want anything later, as your ship departs at 4pm and you need to be aboard well before that.

Mostly, this comes down to what your risk tolerance level is.

4 minutes ago, Peg_S said:

Otherwise Princess' EZAIR site says "Rest easy that you'll make your cruise if flights are delayed or canceled..." so there is some type of "backup plan" thru Princess, though I don't know the details.

Yes...just what are those backup plans?  Because there really aren't any.  There's a bunch of marketing spin that Princess is there to make everything right, but when you look at the actual terms & conditions, you won't find any kind of guarantee.

Thought problem:  There are no seats available to get the passengers from JAX to the ship.  Do you think that Princess will hustle up a Gulfstream-V to whisk them to Seattle?

20 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

The good news is that there are a few other AA flights that could get you out of JAX and into SEA beore 1pm.  But you wouldn't want anything later, as your ship departs at 4pm and you need to be aboard well before that.

Our flights we currently have booked have us landing in SEA at 11:15AM. Would that be sufficient?

You know, since you are concerned about the flights, why not call your TA and inquire about flying to SEA the day before your cruise. Flying in the day before is common practice among many of us who cruise. Unfortunately some TA’s will disagree and say there is no need to do this. However, giving yourself this extra time will alleviate a lot of stress. No need to freak out and spoil all the anticipation you should be able to enjoy leading up to your cruise. Alaska cruises are fantastic.  BTW if your cruise stops in Skagway and you plan to take the train excursion, your will need a passport. 

2 hours ago, Davis2010 said:

Our flights we currently have booked have us landing in SEA at 11:15AM. Would that be sufficient?

If everything runs on time, sure. Throw a late departing flight into the mix (and 2hrs certainly isn't all that crazy of a delay)  and you're stuffed. 

Why not fly out the day before, it buys you much more extra contingency? 

• Like 1