I was my own upgrade ferry lol.

steve4031

I called to find out the cost of upgrading to a balcony on my 8/1/2020 cruise on the Konigsdam.  I paid additional 500 to upgrade from OO to a balcony, 6171, on the Mozart deck.  I get 200 shipboard credit too.  So I’m pretty happy.  

Edited by steve4031
  • Like 3

This particular travel agent has been consistently good.  This is the best I’ve gotten.  Usually they get a competitive rate and select a good cabin for me which is great imho.  

They excelled with my cruise on the NCL sun.  Great inside cabin I. That small hallway where we were located was quiet.  

5 hours ago, steve4031 said:

I called to find out the cost of upgrading to a balcony on my 8/1/2020 cruise on the Konigsdam.  I paid additional 500 to upgrade from OO to a balcony, 6171, on the Mozart deck.  I get 200 shipboard credit too.  So I’m pretty happy.  

Congratulations!  It doesn't hurt to ask about an upsell, all they can do is say no.  Ship board credit is a big plus in Alaska.

I have found you can negotiate.  There were many unsold Neptune Suites on our last cruise, the 30 day Amazon Explorer.  As 5* in a cat A verandah suite I felt we would get an upgrade, but there was a suite I wanted, I didn't want to leave it to chance, so I called the TA and made an offer well below the published  price.  HAL's pricing department accepted and refunded what I paid to upgrade in the form of a future cruise credit.  I was pleasantly surprised.  We loved the very quiet suite I chose! 

Have a wonderful Alaska cruise!

Karen

Update:  I forgot that I booked my cruise with a non-refundable deposit.  The TA would have to cancel original booking and rebook this.  I started out with an OO guarantee because I was originally traveling by myself.  At the time the balcony rate was higher than I wanted to pay.  
Recently I decided to bring someone and the more I thought about it the more I wanted a balcony.  So I called in asked.  

My thinking now is that the 200 obc cancels out the list 175 lost deposit.   I might still go ahead and switch. I would be paying approximately 3500 for a category VC on the Mozart deck. 

Im absolutely NOT upset with the travel agent or Holland America.  Both did what I asked them to do at the booking. And the non-refundable deposit was clearly explained.  

On 1/7/2020 at 10:36 AM, steve4031 said:

I will be on the same cruise as you and then the next one down to San Diego.  Doing B2B and got same room for both.  I usually don't do balconies so I have more money for other stuff.  

But congrats to you on your upgrade

I have gotten a cruise reduction for N Statendam from Amsterdam recently. I mainly concentrate on price reductions than the up grade fairy.

Next I will look to see if this cruise has Roll call.