NCL Star Itinerary change 6/28/20 cruise

ronheg

We just received email from NCL stating fairly major changes to our 6/28/20 itinerary.  The biggest change is to Iceland.  Only 5.5 hours in port at Akureyri and instead if an overnight in Reykjavík we arrive at 1:30 pm and leave at midnight.  We also lose 1.5 hours in Amsterdam.  I am not happy!

Ncl confirmed it would be in dry dock in april.  The email went on to say that a team of engineers would be onboard after drydock for 60 days to ensure optimal performance at a reduced speed.

51 minutes ago, ronheg said:

We just received email from NCL stating fairly major changes to our 6/28/20 itinerary.  The biggest change is to Iceland.  Only 5.5 hours in port at Akureyri and instead if an overnight in Reykjavík we arrive at 1:30 pm and leave at midnight.  We also lose 1.5 hours in Amsterdam.  I am not happy!

I feel your pain, my TA on her was pushed up 10 days, meaning cruising during easter. We had to cancel. At least your notification is before final payment if you choose to cancel.

2 hours ago, ronheg said:

Cancelling not really an option.  We are paying $5422 for balcony.  Current cruise price for the same cabin is $9541.  Yes, an unbelievable price increase and a meta upgrade

Yes many have noticed the prices really jumped before the "30 % off sale" lol. I don't know what the hell their game plan is anymore but looking around to find an alternate cruise from the Star TA the prices are ridiculous

We also have changes to port times on the Star Norway to Arctic Circle cruise in mid June. Some aren't too bad but the time in Honningsvaag is considerable reduced, had been noon to midnight, now 4:30 pm to 2 am. Fun taking a long tour at that time.

29 minutes ago, LTC said:

We also have changes to port times on the Star Norway to Arctic Circle cruise in mid June. Some aren't too bad but the time in Honningsvaag is considerable reduced, had been noon to midnight, now 4:30 pm to 2 am. Fun taking a long tour at that time.

At least you are going to have almost 22 hours of daylight at that time!

We are currently booked on this cruise but have asked our travel agent to cancel our reservation. I do appreciate NCL doing the right thing and advising us well before final payment that there would be changes, which is a departure from what they had been doing to this point with the Star’s current problems. Like the OP, we have a very nice deal on our stateroom, but the port time reductions in Iceland are a deal breaker for us. Too bad. It was a very nice itinerary with ample time in ports.

• Like 1

If seems that The  Propulsion problems on the STAR, which began months ago are effecting many voyagers. we are booked on a 14 Day  South America cruise , which leaves in 3 weeks. They have adjusted the sailing by moving things a hour here or there . but our biggest concerns is the missed ports people have posted the past month or so. If the ship is not in 100% shape then why are they still sailing? Oh wait , it’ s all about the

Benjimins 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They changed our 14 day Mystic Fjorids cruise too for July 26.  If they are planning to address the propulsion thing during the April dry dock why are they adjusting all the summer itineraries?  Any chance they will put them back if it gets fixed?

2 hours ago, rjm11 said:

They changed our 14 day Mystic Fjorids cruise too for July 26.  If they are planning to address the propulsion thing during the April dry dock why are they adjusting all the summer itineraries?  Any chance they will put them back if it gets fixed?

Per NCL regarding the Star, they will be sailing at a reduced rate for 60 days after the April dry dock.  "while this does not affect the safety of the ship, it has affected her itinerary"

I would assume it's like breaking in the engine on a car - some car manufacturers recommend you don't exceed certain speeds for the first few thousand miles for example.

8 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Per NCL regarding the Star, they will be sailing at a reduced rate for 60 days after the April dry dock.  "while this does not affect the safety of the ship, it has affected her itinerary"

I would assume it's like breaking in the engine on a car - some car manufacturers recommend you don't exceed certain speeds for the first few thousand miles for example.

that makes sense, but if the dry dock in in April, then the July 26 cruise is well past 60 days....

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rjm11 said:

that makes sense, but if the dry dock in in April, then the July 26 cruise is well past 60 days....

Dry dock is late April/early May - first cruise scheduled after dry dry dock is May 3.  Still past 60 days, but not much.  Hopefully this will put an end to all the issues with this ship - especially since I'm on the May 3 cruise!

• Haha 1

I noted on FB that itineraries for the Star sailing in August have been also altered. Someone posted a letter from NCL that technicians and engineers would be onboard the ship until 90 days after the drydock to ensure the engines are working correctly. 

On 1/8/2020 at 9:07 PM, julig22 said:

Dry dock is late April/early May - first cruise scheduled after dry dry dock is May 3.  Still past 60 days, but not much.  Hopefully this will put an end to all the issues with this ship - especially since I'm on the May 3 cruise!

For the May 3 sailing out of London. Have you noticed any difference in the time in ports for your sailing? The itinerary is great! I have been watching that sailing, but was planning to hold out to book later given the issues reported during recent months.  I checked the itinerary last night and it still looks great,  no major port changes, but I'm not sure if the times in port have been adjusted a little here and there. Were you notified of any time changes? 

Anyone else on the May 3 sailing as well?

There is a similar itinerary later in May, slightly different itinerary. I may consider that option since it won't be right after the engine work. I just wasn't as in love with the little difference in that itinerary.

Thanks! 

On 1/7/2020 at 11:41 AM, ronheg said:

Cancelling not really an option.  We are paying $5422 for balcony.  Current cruise price for the same cabin is $9541.  Yes, an unbelievable price increase and a meta upgrade

We are in this sailing as well (6 cabins).   NCL has given ample amount of notice before final payment.   You have failed to mention that they are giving $75 pp (for guest 1 & 2) on board credit & $75 off pp ( again for guests 1 & 2) on a future sailing in the next 24 months for the Inconvenience ,  You have the option to cancel but do not want too because the price you paid is a lot les than the going price so go with a positive outlook and make the best of it or cancel.    They have been forthcoming on this sailing not sure what more they could do.  They sure did not need to offer any compensation since it’s before final payment.  

Edited by Mom2kmo

3 hours ago, blueslily said:

For the May 3 sailing out of London. Have you noticed any difference in the time in ports for your sailing? The itinerary is great! I have been watching that sailing, but was planning to hold out to book later given the issues reported during recent months.  I checked the itinerary last night and it still looks great,  no major port changes, but I'm not sure if the times in port have been adjusted a little here and there. Were you notified of any time changes? 

Anyone else on the May 3 sailing as well?

There is a similar itinerary later in May, slightly different itinerary. I may consider that option since it won't be right after the engine work. I just wasn't as in love with the little difference in that itinerary.

Thanks! 

A few port times have been increased  - earlier arrival in Edinburgh (7:30 from 8am) and Glasgow (8 am from noon).  Later arrival in Portland ( from 9 to 11:30am).  Kirkwal cancelled, $150 obc, $150 fcc for those already booked.

37 minutes ago, julig22 said:

A few port times have been increased  - earlier arrival in Edinburgh (7:30 from 8am) and Glasgow (8 am from noon).  Later arrival in Portland ( from 9 to 11:30am).  Kirkwal cancelled, $150 obc, $150 fcc for those already booked.

Ok. Sounds ok with earlier arrivals. Surprised that departures did not get moved to earlier in that case. 

Was Kirkwall originally scheduled for that Thursday or Sunday? Those two days are listed as Day at Sea right now. 

11 minutes ago, blueslily said:

Ok. Sounds ok with earlier arrivals. Surprised that departures did not get moved to earlier in that case. 

Was Kirkwall originally scheduled for that Thursday or Sunday? Those two days are listed as Day at Sea right now. 

Sunday

Well we are on the Jul 12th cruise and so far we heard nothing about the mentioned OBC or future credit (can you use it for an already booked cruise?)

Maybe because we use a TA and did not book directly with NCL

18 minutes ago, Kalum said:

Well we are on the Jul 12th cruise and so far we heard nothing about the mentioned OBC or future credit (can you use it for an already booked cruise?)

Maybe because we use a TA and did not book directly with NCL

The obc and fcc is for the May 3 cruise and is most likely because the changes happened after final payment.  If changes are made before final payment is due (as in the case of a July cruise), you have the opportunity to cancel without penalty if you don't like the itinerary at that time.  Or rebook if prices change due to itinerary changes. 

If you book with a TA, any communication with NCL will go through them - and your TA will (or at least should) forward that communication to you.

• Like 1