PRE CRUISE HOTEL Honolulu

travelgirl45

A friend and I will be flying into Honolulu two days prior to our cruise on Pride of America on April 18.  Not sure of attractions we will be interested in, but looking for a hotel that might be centerally located to some attractions and would have public transportation nearby or at the hotel.       As well as ease in getting to the cruise port on Saturday.  Taxis - $$  ??  Suggestions would be appreciated.  We have never been to Hawaii and somewhat overwhelmed on what to do and how to get around for the short time we be in port. . 

We are staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village prior to our POM cruise in November.  Stayed there a few times already and loved the location.  They also have an awesome restaurant near the water. City bus 

stops out front on Kalakawa Ave. The port is a short taxi ride from Waikiki hotels.  I've been to Hawaii 5 times and feel like I've only scratched the surface.  Tons of things to do and see.

Edited by Diver2014

It has been awhile since we did the POA (2006) but at that time NCL had an office in the Hilton that was a block or two from the beach - it was the hotel they used for pre and post cruise excursions/tours. We flew in a couple of days early as well - thought we would do more on our arrival day but all we wanted to do was a little walking around the beach and some R&R. The next day we spent at the PCC - they picked us up from the hotel and gave us a bit of an island tour before dropping us off at the PCC. The next day we were going to sail away. NCL offered a tour that started at the hotel and ended up at the ship - we ended up going to Pearl Harbor and spending lots of time there - we also saw some of the same sights as the previous day's tour. 

If this is sill offered I would do it in a heartbeat. 

We were on Oahu 3 nights prior to boarding the POA.  We chose the Royal Hawaiian because we wanted to be on Waikiki beach but there are lots of hotels all over Waikiki (where you want to stay to be centrally located), I would just pick one in your budget.  For a budget friendly option on the beach, you could look at the Outrigger resorts.  Lots of cruisers stay at HHV, as mentioned above.

We had transport to the hotel on arrival day (like the PP said, you'll just be checking in, having dinner, etc.).  Then on our first full day we rented a car at the Avis right next to our hotel.  We did Pearl Harbor that day, then the north shore the second day.  We returned the car the second day and on the morning of the cruise, took a Lyft and hiked Diamond Head, then took a shuttle to the pier.   Since you will only have one full day, you can rely on taxi, Uber, the bus, etc. if you don't want to rent a car.  Or just rent a car for the day to explore and return it that day to avoid parking.

I researched a lot before we booked our pre-cruise stay. We decided on a condo through airb&b. We have an oceanfront view in a nice building, on a high floor for HALF of what it cost to stay in most hotels. We are going to use Uber and the bus to get around, plus walk. We are staying 4 days pre-cruise and are also renting a car for 1.5 days so we can drive around the island and see the North Shore.

I don’t know what your budget is or what’s important to you, so it’s hard to answer your question.

We’re staying at Outrigger Reef for two nights before our cruise. We joined their loyalty club and got what I think is a reasonable rate on a concierge level room with a Diamond Head/Ocean view. I wanted to be on the beach with a view and a balcony, and have restaurants in walking distance. The club level room includes a daily happy hour and a hot breakfast.

18 hours ago, scottca075 said:

None of the suggestions so far are very exciting, except Outriggers, Hale Koa and Royal Hawaiian.

I would second Royal Hawaiian-- we usually stay there. Its a good value when its in the $275-400 range. When it is more expensive than that (which can happen), while being a very nice hotel, its not $500 a night nice.

Halekulani I would say is the nicest place on Waikiki but it is also the most expensive-- starts in the $500 range and goes up from there. Even if you don't stay there well worth headed to the Room Without a Key for live hula music or their jazz bar is fantastic. 

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Halekulani I would say is the nicest place on Waikiki but it is also the most expensive-- starts in the $500 range and goes up from there. Even if you don't stay there well worth headed to the Room Without a Key for live hula music or their jazz bar is fantastic. 

Halekulani is the best hotel, but Garden View rooms start at $555, before taxes so I seldom mention it unless someone asks about "the best".

The restaurant is the House Without A Key and Lewers Lounge is the jazz bar, but be aware it has a dress code.

8 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Lewers Lounge is the jazz bar, but be aware it has a dress code.

They still have one but it's gotten A LOT more relaxed since we started going there years ago-- now it just prevents t-shirts and flip flops. They now allow shorts which never used to be the case-- used to only allow long pants for gents and I think a long time ago it was also no denim (although I remember a memorable visit several years ago where they let Jon Lovitz in with shorts after some very loud and funny negotiation at the door that everyone could hear).

Although it was always a bit odd seeing a dress code anywhere in Hawaii.