texting or communicating on board

bd1958

It's been several years since our last cruise (it was on the Rotterdam in 2018) and in March we sail on the Nieuw Statendam.  Is there away to use cellphones on board, not to call out, but to communicate within the ship with others by call or text?

Thanks,

Bruce

1 hour ago, bd1958 said:

Thanks, Holacanada, and greetings from the Boston area.  another question: is there anything to do in advance such as download an app or do we just do it all onboard?

It’s in the App Store under “Holland America Line Navigator” or you can download it on board.  It won’t connect until you’re onboard anyway.

1 hour ago, rothbury said:

Just curious.  Do you keep the phone in  airplane mode?

You keep it in airplane mode to prevent data/voice from being active.

But you turn on WiFi (and just WiFi) to access the ship's intranet which is what the Navigator app uses.

A suggestion: If you don't know how to do that, learn how before you get on the ship (go to your provider's store if necessary).  Leaving the cell network active could get expensive!

Mark

If I am in Alaska (obviously a US territory).....what happens if I use my ATT Cell Phone (unlimited talk text and data)....to post pix to Facebook, text my family and friends back home, etc.?  Do I just physically NOT get service or is it just a price issue I have to worry about?  When I traveled to Italy last year, I purchased a plan for the length of the trip that I was able to use.

Thanks!

In ports in Alaska, your AT&T service should work like it does at home.  I used T-mobile on my Alaska trip last year and coverage was good most everywhere in and just outside the cities (Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway).

On the ship, your phone will not be able to connect to AT&T's network once you're a few miles from shore.  Your phone will try to connect with the ship's cellular network if you leave it on.  AT&T will charge you a high roaming rate for all texts, calls, and data usage if you use your phone on the ship's network.  AT&T offers a separate package that you can buy for use on cruise ships.  Link is below with details.

Many people put their phones in airplane mode and connect to Wi-Fi.  With Wi-Fi Calling enabled, you can then use your phone like you would anywhere else (although internet speeds on the ship will generally be slower than you're used to at home).  If you're not sure if you have Wi-Fi Calling capability, check with AT&T.  iPhones have it but not sure if you need to do anything else with AT&T to enable it.  Or if you have Wi-Fi at home, put your phone in airplane mode and then try to make a call once you're only connected to Wi-Fi.  If it goes through, you're all set!

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/cruise-packages.html

Ok, another question.  If you use the ship's wifi via the navigator app to text or make calls, does it count against your internet purchase?  Does it count as a device connected to the internet on your plan?

Thanks again.

Bruce

Edited by bd1958

The navigator app connects to the ship's network for free.  You can only use the functions of the app, which includes a texting feature built in.

If you want to use your phone's text or call features, you need to pay for internet to do so.  You can sign in and out of that paid account when you need to use it.

All of this is Wi-Fi based, but you're limited to what you can do unless you pay for access.

This recent thread has more info on using multiple devices on a single account, which is apparently something new they're doing.  Previously, you could use different devices but only one at a time could be logged in.