QM transatlantic entertainment

Bornforthis

23 minutes ago, Bostonjetset said:

Most of the onboard lecturers are fantastic but the website doesn’t seem to have the updated list for 2020 yet. ...

Yes, it's a real shame that the main Cunard websites have not been updated with 2020 speaker lists yet. As we've discussed on another thread, here is where you can find speaker lists for each ship that include 2020 dates.

QE: https://book.princess.com/pdf/onesource/cu/Insights_QE.pdf

QM2: https://book.princess.com/pdf/onesource/cu/Insights_QM2.pdf

QV: https://book.princess.com/pdf/onesource/cu/Insights_QV.pdf

Unfortunately this doesn't help the OP yet for a July crossing since this latest QM2 speaker list only goes through June 21, 2020.

11 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Yes, it's a real shame that the main Cunard websites have not been updated with 2020 speaker lists yet. As we've discussed on another thread, here is where you can find speaker lists for each ship that include 2020 dates.

QE: https://book.princess.com/pdf/onesource/cu/Insights_QE.pdf

QM2: https://book.princess.com/pdf/onesource/cu/Insights_QM2.pdf

QV: https://book.princess.com/pdf/onesource/cu/Insights_QV.pdf

Unfortunately this doesn't help the OP yet for a July crossing since this latest QM2 speaker list only goes through June 21, 2020.

Thank you for being thoughtful enough to post these links. I love how they have a Princess web address! Haha. Unfortunately my next crossing is the Jan 3, 2021 crossing so it also is not listed here. 

As an example of nightly shows, the entertainment in the Royal Court Theatre on our June 2019 transatlantics was:

Eastbound to Hamburg:

• Day 1 - Claire Langan - Flautist
  • Day 2 - Theatre Company - "Be Our Guest"
  • Day 3 - William Caulfield - Irish Comedian
  • Day 4 - Stephani Parker - Singer - "Las Vegas Diva of the Seas"
  • Day 5 - Claire Langan - encore show (new material)
  • Day 6 - Theatre Company - "Broadway Rocks"
  • Day 7 - Encore show - William Caulfield & Stephani Parker
  • Day 8 (Soton Embarkation) - Kev Orkian - Comedian/Pianist
  • Day 9 - Theatre Company - "Apassionata"

Westbound from Hamburg:

• Day 1 - Duo Balskatt - Ballet / Hand balancing
  • Day 2 - The 3 Tones - Male close-part harmony
  • Day 3 (Soton embarkation) - Julian Smith - soprano saxophone
  • Day 4 - Theatre Company - "Be Our Guest"
  • Day 5 - Fogwell flax - comedy impressionist
  • Day 6 - Lorraine Brown - singer
  • Day 7 - Julian Smith - encore show (new material)
  • Day 8 - Theatre Company - "Rhythm of the Night"
  • Day 9 - Lorraine Brown - encore show (new material)

I've posted the Daily Programmes and Britannia menus from the two transatlantics on my Google Drive here.

Besides the big shows and comedians in the Royal Court Theatre, there is usually a musical headliner, either a soloist or a group.  BUT...Our absolute favorite is the jazz group that plays every night in the Chart Room.  Sublime.  Like a perfect hotel show room.

6 hours ago, tv24 said:

Our absolute favorite is the jazz group that plays every night in the Chart Room.  Sublime.  Like a perfect hotel show room.

One night the trombonist from the theatre orchestra sat in for a session. Even better.

In addition to all of the above:

Fencing classes

Watercolor classes

Culinary demonstrations

Planetarium shows

From noon on, live music in various venues 

The excellent Insights Lecture series

and of course, on Deck 7 Promenade , from the comfort of lounger deck chair, in full color wide screen, surround sound there is the constantly changing, never repeating, North Atlantic Ocean!

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

Is there a lot of piped music around the ship during the day?

In my experience, generally no. Partly because there is so much live music in the various public rooms. I honestly don't recall hearing any, but if there is, it's in spaces like the promenade deck.

I've heard "piped-in" music in the Carinthia Lounge and the theatres before performances and between lectures. It's very laid back stuff, soft jazz (or calmer) covers of 80s pop music. But more laid back than you could possibly imagine. Songs like "Take On Me" or "Sweet Child of Mine" (I actually made note of some of the more unusual songs) with a breathy female vocal, played at a very low volume.

The fact that some people don't even recall the music speaks for how unobtrusive it is.

4 hours ago, Underwatr said:

The fact that some people don't even recall the music speaks for how unobtrusive it is.

I agree it's unobtrusive. However, on the EB crossing we sailed this past summer there was someone who was obviously put out by the piped in music in the Commodore Club one morning while we were there enjoying our books, the view over the bow, and some coffee. He confronted the bar staff loudly, insisting that they turn off the music. They told him they couldn't and he became more confrontational. Finally, without looking up from my book, I commented, "Perhaps some of us like having background music." He decided the Commodore Club wasn't where he wanted to spend his morning.😊

Edited by nybumpkin

On 1/11/2020 at 5:33 AM, Underwatr said:

One night the trombonist from the theatre orchestra sat in for a session. Even better.

We find the members of the theatre orchestra to be very talented, a somewhat hidden resource.