Luggage Locks

Sebleo

I’m so sorry that I suck at the search feature because I’m sure this is asked and answered. I’ve always carried on all my luggage so I’ve never read the luggage lock threads. 

My mom is cruising with me tomorrow and she is checking hers. If they want to open her luggage, will they unlock it or cut the locks? 

Use TSA locks for air travel.

The only reason Carnival will open your checked luggage is if they see something in the scan that is prohibited.  And even then they will most likely set the bag in question aside and call you down to the naughty room to open and reveal.

To me:

Luggage locks say there is something very valuable in here I'm trying to protect.

Twist ties say, there's nothing in here I really care about and you probably wouldn't either.

Just me, just sayin' 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, glrounds said:

To me:

Luggage locks say there is something very valuable in here I'm trying to protect.

Twist ties say, there's nothing in here I really care about and you probably wouldn't either.

Just me, just sayin' 🙂

Zip ties? Surely twist ties don't hold.

• Like 1

I use zip ties with the quick release.  It's mostly to tie two zippers together on my luggage so that they do not come unzipped during transport.  The quick release is convenient both for me, and for TSA (yes, they have opened my luggage -- but rezip-tied the tie when finished) as it can be easily opened without cutting, and then reused.

I do not put anything of value in checked luggage. 

5 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Zip ties? Surely twist ties don't hold.

I'm not sure what they're called. I take TWO ties off a loaf a bread, twist them together and use them. Pretty tough. Also use them for my Carnival luggage tags.

1 minute ago, glrounds said:

However, this zip tie idea intrigues me. What do they look like and how can I get them ?

These are zip ties. You have to cut them off. You can get them anywhere. I think they even have them at the dollar store.

https://www.amazon.com/Resistant-Self-locking-100Pack-Office-Organizer/dp/B072TZF311/ref=asc_df_B072TZF311/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216499414469&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11356475365642269413&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9025463&hvtargid=pla-351356204398&psc=1

Here are the zip tie style I use.  You can purchase them at CVS.  They have quick release, so that you do not need to cut them off... making them reusable.  I bought mine in year 2003, but these look close.  Also, the colored zip ties help distinguish your luggage amongst the others.

image.png.933b872f523a4480e780177babaf13c7.png

Edited by VentureMan_2000
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Here are the zip tie style I use.  You can purchase them at CVS.  They have quick release, so that you do not need to cut them off... making them reusable.  I bought mine in year 2003, but these look close.  Also, the colored zip ties help distinguish your luggage amongst the others.

LOL .. . reminds me of my ole anti-war days. Although they only came in black. 🙂

5 hours ago, glrounds said:

To me:

Just me, just sayin' 🙂

People always say this. But I bet if somebody had some clothes or shoes stolen, they would be running to guest services to complain about theft, if it happened at the beginning of the cruise, or writing a letter if it happened after the cruise. 

I don’t have anything valuable in my luggage, but I like the things I have. 

Luggage locks say nothing to me, except move on to somebody else’s luggage that isn’t locked. 😉

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

People always say this. But I bet if somebody had some clothes or shoes stolen, they would be running to guest services to complain about theft, if it happened at the beginning of the cruise, or writing a letter if it happened after the cruise. 

Luggage locks say nothing to me, except move on to somebody else’s luggage that isn’t locked. 😉

Peace of mind, I guess. 32 Carnival cruises and 3 or 4 flights per year - - never had anything stolen (even had a camera I left in a cruise ship bar taken to lost and found). I just use mine to hold the two zippers together. Any straight blade will get you inside in a hurry. Anything of value, camera, laptop, tablet, phone, etc. are in my Carnival shoulder pack. First time for everything I guess.

Edited by glrounds
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I like that. And I bet most people don't know they are quick release. I didn't know they had zip ties you didn't have to cut off.

1 hour ago, coevan said:

if they are quick release, what's the point? I thought this was about security and stealing, which rarely happens. 

Read my post -- 6th from the top.  I use them to keep the zippers on my luggage from unzipping.  I think we both agree that a lock buys you nothing, except perhaps trouble. 😅  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I look at the bolded portion, totally opposite. Nothing screams to me like:  " Valuables alert!! Valuables alert!! Neat stuff in here!'

A thief will overlook 99 unlocked bags, just to find that 1 bag that has a lock on it. That's why we've never put locks on our baggage. 

Luckily, I have been cruising since 1980 on lots of cruise lines, and never had my luggage sliced open or broken into.

So I guess it really doesn’t matter if you lock your luggage or not. It’s a personal preference. BTW, I don’t lock on airlines, just on ships, and sometimes I also use zip ties.

2 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Or... it says something is good in there, so they slice open your suitcase with a box cutter... 😅

Good luck doing that with mine. Carbon fiber reinforced polycarbonate hardshell case. My wife bought two of them in Japan a few years ago. $145 apiece and I've used then extensively without any damage.