Iguazu Falls 1-Day Tour from BA with HAL

GeorgeCharlie

I have not done it, but am looking at it for next winter. It appears to be another one of those shore excursions that needs three days but you can get credit for a "drive by" if you do it in one and pay big bucks.

Someone that has done it should step up and give "us" the value of the drive by.

I just cannot imagine doing a single day trip there. I did Iguazu as a private 3 night trip and it was so worth it. (I could have been happy with a fourth). Because of logistics I would recommend staying over at least 2 nights.

The flights are about 90 minutes wheels up to wheels down. AEP is very close to the dock, but you still have to go through check in, transfers, keeping a GROUP together, etc.  In the few hours left you probably have enough time to do Devils Throat and perhaps the Upper Circuit IF you move. 

About 7-8 months ago there was an informative thread on this forum about this topic. I can’t seem to find it but someone on a more capable device may.

Adding: The Argentine side isn’t like many other places where there is a spot you go to to look at the falls. You see bits and pieces of them, and even full panoramas from the trails.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

I took this tour with Princess a few years ago (I believe it is the same tour). It was a long action packed and very scenic day. I was very glad to have the opportunity to see the Falls and if it is definitely worth it. However, it is rushed, you do get the full sense of the falls from different  sides and points and don’t have a chance to really soak it all in. If you ah e a choice, I would highly recommend going for the three day experience. 

Andrea

• 5 weeks later...

did it several years ago.  it's easy with the ship tour, yes flights both ways, but it's well organized, bus to the falls area, lunch at a very nice restaurant across from the path leading to the falls and a couple of hours to walk the trail down to the area of the falls.

we enjoyed it, but it was at the top of prices for shore excursions.  take it--you'll enjoy it and we found it was worth the cost.

5 of us from our CC roll call did a private tour. We were met at the ship, driven to the airport, met by our guide when we got off the plane and he was with us the entire time at the falls. We did the upper and lower trails, stopped at a park area where you could see Brazil and Paraguay, a short tour of the town and back to the airport. Again, met at the airport and a transfer back to the ship. Yes, it was a long day but worth it! 

8 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

5 of us from our CC roll call did a private tour. We were met at the ship, driven to the airport, met by our guide when we got off the plane and he was with us the entire time at the falls. We did the upper and lower trails, stopped at a park area where you could see Brazil and Paraguay, a short tour of the town and back to the airport. Again, met at the airport and a transfer back to the ship. Yes, it was a long day but worth it! 

We were on the tour with SusieK (Hi, Susie!!) and had a fantastic day. That said, if we were to do it again, we'd opt for a longer visit. Our flight was a little delayed out of Buenos Aires and by the time we got to the Falls, it was already hot. I'd have LOVED to have been there for a day or two, with plans of going out to the Falls early morning each day. But if it's your only chance to see Iguazu Falls, then take it! Such an amazing place!

Best wishes and good luck with your decision!

Not certain about HAL’s but we did two nights and two days on our own from BA.   It was half the cost of the quickie one day Princess tour.  I would not bother with one day in and out.

It was very easy for us to arrange it ourselves.  You do not need a guide in the park.

Edited by iancal

We did our own return air from BA by calling down to the Aerolineas call centre in BA.  The return fare was about 35 percent less than fares displayed on Expedia, it matrix etc.  The are reduced fare flights that do not show up on travel web sites but if you go to their Argentine web site you will see them. 

The  Aerolineas 1 800 NA call centre gave us the number and hours.  They have English speaking CSR’s.

If you stay in town there is a very frequent, inexpensive bus service that goes directly to the park.   We used this.  A five minute walk from our hotel to catch the bus.

Edited by iancal

We varied our air return and did a two night private tour for less than the cost of the one day excursion on Celebrity.  If the one day is all you can do, do it, as the falls are fantastic.  If you can be flexible, I agree with everyone that says take multiple days.  I would like to have had more time there myself.

We just returned from a cruise that ended in Buenos Aires.  We did the falls on our own.  We flew there an a 9:30 am flight and stayed 2 nights at the Melia Iguazu hotel that is in the park.  (GREAT hotel)  We toured the lower falls trail on our first day and then relaxed in the very large infinity pool that overlooks the falls.  The next day we toured the upper trails and had more wonderful down time in the pool.  We flew back to BA on the 12:30 flight the following day.  This was an amazing place to visit., and I wish we ad stayed for a third night, as there are more things to experience in the park.   I do not know what the cruise lines charge but I would think it is more than the 2 of us paid for what we did on our own.  Iguazu is a national park and very clean and well taken care of.  This was easy to do on our own, BUT you can't wait until the last minute to arrange it, as the flights are usually sold out.  We are in our mid 70s.  We had just done a 22 night Santiago to BA cruise, including 4 days in Antarctica.  Iguazu was surely the icing on the cake.  Try and do it.  (How we did it is part of my cruise review that is on this board somewhere)

ALERT- My wife does not like to be away from home for long periods of time.  We had been traveling for 26 nights before we went to Iguazu.  I just told her I wrote the above critique.  SHE SAID she wished we would have stayed there for another night, OR TWO.  Try and do it.