Boots? Shoes?

Davis2010

Being in Ireland I always have at least one pair of waterproof boots or sneakers, I have hiking boots and high waterproof warm boots that I use very rarely. My day to day boots are from timberland, a lot of the boots in their range are waterproof and I usually top that up with a waterproofing spray. At the moment my waterproof runners are Asics but in the freezing temperatures we have in Ireland this week they are definitely not warm enough without heavy socks.  We recently started stocking Etnies at work and they have a few winterised high top sneakers in their range which I will be picking from for myself. 

On 3/5/2022 at 9:31 AM, GloriaF said:

Taking care of your feet is essential.  My husband walked the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage, 500 miles across northern Spain.  We learned from REI Camino meetings that a base of Vaseline on feet before putting on cotton toe socks, then thicker warm socks is the key.  He had no issues with his feet following this advice.  On a cruise, hikes will be short in comparison, but figured I'd share what we learned for what it's worth to any of you.

I just saw this old post. I did a TA cruise recently and went to Santiago de Compestela as an excursion. What a beautiful city! So impressed your husband did the pilgrimage!

• 2 weeks later...

I got a pair of Sperrys duck boots.  Will rarely wear them in Texas but they will keep my feet dry and don’t seem too heavy to take.  I may take them to New Zealand too as the weather will be similiar.   Usually I take 5 pairs of dress shoes for evening but may just take one this time and save the room for the boots.  We won’t be dressing up much for Alaska, maybe take a dress or 2 for formal night but the rest of the time plan on slacks with flats.  

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 2:30 PM, Hey! Jude said:

If you have your own winter hiking boots, can you wear them on the Glacier dog sled excursions or are you required to the wear the boots they supply. thanks

Hey, Judi.  In my experience with glacier excursions (but not dog sled), the tour provides overshoes that go over whatever shoes you have on.  They sort of wrap around your ankles, zip up, and strap on.  Here are ones like I have seen used.  I don't believe we were given the option to just wear our own footwear.  Perhaps it is possible.

I hope that helps some.
Tim

• Like 2

On 12/28/2022 at 7:36 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

I got a pair of Sperrys duck boots.  Will rarely wear them in Texas but they will keep my feet dry and don’t seem too heavy to take.  I may take them to New Zealand too as the weather will be similiar.   Usually I take 5 pairs of dress shoes for evening but may just take one this time and save the room for the boots.  We won’t be dressing up much for Alaska, maybe take a dress or 2 for formal night but the rest of the time plan on slacks with flats.  

slightly off topic but if you bring the boots to NZ make sure they're easily accessible when going through border control as they will want to take them for sanitizing in case you've any seeds or anything stuck in the tread.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 12:08 PM, Mountaineer0313 said:

On our first trip, I mostly wore my tennis shoes. I bought a pair of 15 inch Xtratuf boots before our last trip and that's the only thing I ended up wearing. Totally waterproof, I could wade into shallow water, slip proof on the deck of the ship or boats we were taking excursions on. They're my absolute favorite boot now and I'm really glad I bought them.

Thats funny you mention Xtratuffs. That seems to be the boot of choice in Alaska. I was going to suggest them but they are a bit pricey for a one time use .They used to be made in the US but of course now made in China. Supposedly the quality isn't the same. Have had mine for 5+ years and still holding up.

On 12/28/2022 at 11:36 AM, cruiselvr04 said:

@cruiselvr04I, too, got a pair of Sperry duck boots for our first Alaska cruise in 2016 and, as we live in Southern California, I don't have much occasion to wear them, either. However, I figured they weren't that expensive and I'm glad that I purchased them, as I used them on a subsequent Alaska cruise in 2021 and will do so again this coming summer. They're very comfy and keeep my feet nice and warm and, I agree, they're not that heavy to pack. (If I need socks, I add Hue knee socks as they're thin but warm and don't ride down & bunch up.) I pack my boots, wear nice leather sneakers on the plane, and try to limit myself to one pair of dressy sandals for dress-up-or-not night. I may take a pair of Rothy's, too - we'll see - as this cruise DH and I are trying to do carry-on and just check one larger bag (instead of one for each of us). Enjoy your cruises!

On 1/1/2023 at 9:36 AM, diesel1973 said:

Thats funny you mention Xtratuffs. That seems to be the boot of choice in Alaska. I was going to suggest them but they are a bit pricey for a one time use .They used to be made in the US but of course now made in China. Supposedly the quality isn't the same. Have had mine for 5+ years and still holding up.

They are pricey, but well worth it. We have another Alaska tripped planned this year, but I wear them here at home in West Virginia too. Unless you live in a southern or tropical climate, there's no reason that Xtratufs have to just be for Alaska. They work well just about anywhere.