Boots? Shoes?

Davis2010

I've been looking for a pair of boots/shoes to take with me on our cruise to Alaska. I'm a Florida girl and mostly own flip-flops, ballet flats, heels, anything open toe. I don't want to spend a fortune on something for one trip, but also want something I can wear every day with comfort and waterproof protection. Nothing of which I own lol. We are going on a glacier, whale watching, and fisherman tour. 

We are doing whale watching, glacier dog sledding & rainforest excursions.  We picked up some waterproof sneakers at our local Columbia outlet.  Although not cheap, they were a bit less than what I usually pay for my Asics.  I think they were around $70.  Glacier tours that I've looked at include glacier boots that go on over your own footwear.  I am debating on whether to take a pair of hiking/hunting boots that I snagged when Gander Mountain closed their local store.  Since we are flying, I'm trying to pare down luggage as much as possible, which would mean I would have to wear the boots most likely - a pain in the security line.  Anyway, try checking out sporting goods stores like Academy, Dick's, Cabela's, Bass Pro - do y'all have those in Florida?  Heck, even Walmart sells hunting gear - maybe they have something there.

• Like 1

I have taken quite a few trips to Alaska.  I take either my waterproofed Merrells or my waterproofed sneakers (depending on my mood.)  We usually purchase water proofing spray and do our own shoes.  Both shoes that I have mentioned worked just fine on our whale watching and Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's tours. I think I used my Merrells on our helicopter glacier tour.  Whatever you decide, make sure to break in your shoes before you leave for your trip as there is so much to see and do in Alaska you will want to be as comfortable as possible.

• Like 4

While ankle support is never a bad thing, unless you're going hiking then a grippy sole would be your main criteria beyond 'comfy' - so a walking shoe or sneakers should do just fine. So choose a shoe that isn't so warm you would never wear them again in Florida.

Even the waterproof criteria, while desirable, is workable-around - you're not camping, you've got a ship with a nice dry cabin to return to if your shoes get somewhat wet, and you can easily buy waterproofing sprays or even just apply candlewax (a hairdryer warms the candle and your shoe enough to transfer a thin layer).

If you're doing an actual 'land on a glacier and walk around' excursion they'll give you boots for it.

• Like 3

I plan on living in my hiking boots on land in AK.  But DH and I visit National Parks and do a lot of hiking so the investment for good waterproof ones for us is something that we will get lots of use out of.  

I'd check out REI as they will have a variety of footwear both lower and midrise (and high) hiking boots.  For women they make some that look a little more girlie depending on your style such as darker colored ones such as purple or blue.  Or even black or grey with some accent colors like a yellow or pink.  

Or as others said, waterproof a pair of sneakers.  We are going late May so it might still be a little cool that's why I want my hiking boots as it'll provide a little more warmth. 

My Adidas cross-trainers with GoreTex (i.e. waterproof layer) have been all over the world. I believe mine are actually men's as the arches of my feet fall in funny place for female. They are clunky gunboats, but dry feet are happy feet! I wear them with SmartWool socks (from REI) in cool weather, or thick CoolMax type socks in fair weather.

On our first trip to Alaska (7-day Northbound cruise, 2-WEEKS self-drive) -- the soles of my Merrell low-boots FELL APART in the YVR AIRPORT! My second (and now only) shoes were Merrell "mocs" with a hemp or jute upper! Fortunately we had largely good weather and that's what I wore for the whole of the trip. 

The gore-tex shoe-boots do seem to be essentially waterproof (not like, for wading, but wet weather, vegetation, the occasional puddle), as opposed to Gore-Tex jackets which we have abandoned in favor of true waterproofed but vented coats.

DW and I both took our Merrell boots since we would be outside in mid May on the 8 day land portion. The only time you might need something warm and comfy on board the ship is when topside during the time at Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay. It can be cold and a pair of after ski boots might work but so would a good pair of sneakers with warm socks and long warm pants.

• Like 2

I bring Brooks athletic shoes that have gortex (for rain). They would be handy in Florida's weather also.

I only wear boots when I scoop snow (keen). They don't come to Alaska with me.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I took my Brooks running shoes and my Keen sandals.  We could hike right through small streams with those sandals.  It was also close to 90 degrees when we were up there last summer.  We were looking for ways to cool off.  I doubt we'll get that lucky this summer so I'll probably take my rain boots too. 

Edited by atobols

My excursion shoes are Merrell MOABs, very comfortable right out of the box. With any new shoes, get them a little broken in before your trip. If you buy them and your first time to wear them is going on an excursion, you may be sorry. So bring bandaids.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greg4502 said:

My excursion shoes are Merrell MOABs, very comfortable right out of the box. With any new shoes, get them a little broken in before your trip. If you buy them and your first time to wear them is going on an excursion, you may be sorry. So bring bandaids.

My Brooks Ghost are comfortable out of the box. No blisters! Highly recommend!

I bring two pairs of good walking shoes--Merrill Moabs and my Brooks Ravena--as well as a pair of Chaco sandals.  My Chaco sandals are waterproof and I use them for the pool on the ship, spa and hot tubs.  They also look nice enough to use for dinner wear with nice black pants. 

To summarize, I bring three pairs of shoes on an Alaska trip for both land and sea.  One waterproof walking shoes, my running shoes and waterproof sandals.

I'm taking my Sperry duck boots with the quilted tops and also have a micro-fleece lining.  I wear these all the time for rain and snow and they are super comfortable and totally waterproof and easy to clean off.  My husband also has a pair that he will use.   These will be for our hiking, walking, and boat tours.  Now I absolutely have to take my Uggs to wear on the ship for Glacier Day and just to keep warm (super comfy).  Probably a comfy pair of Nike Free Runs for the gym or dry weather activities. Not worried about dress-up for this type of cruise, lol.  Main thing is to have something comfortable to walk in and that is totally waterproof (just incase). 😉

• 2 years later...

Taking care of your feet is essential.  My husband walked the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage, 500 miles across northern Spain.  We learned from REI Camino meetings that a base of Vaseline on feet before putting on cotton toe socks, then thicker warm socks is the key.  He had no issues with his feet following this advice.  On a cruise, hikes will be short in comparison, but figured I'd share what we learned for what it's worth to any of you.

I saw this thread and a star I responded.  I didn't recall what it was and I see someone revived a 2 year old thread.  All good relevant info.  

My initial plan was to bring my Salomon goretex hiking boots.  But last weekend I ordered the same style boots but in a shoe version.  Figured I don't want to deal with the bulk of packing the boots (and don't want to wear them on embarkation day or on the plane).  Plus for regular wear where I don't need the ankle support for hiking it appears the shoe style is a ton more comfortable.  

We live in Southern California, so I had the same issue.  For our first Alaska cruise in 2016, I bought a pair of Sperry boots, which are waterproof, comfortable and, I think, reasonably priced.  They sat in my closet until last August, when we went on our second Alaska cruise, and I was very glad that I had them.  I'll be using them again this May for our third Alaska cruise, and we hope to do Iceland sometime soon where I can use them again, so I guess the answer is buy the boots & just keep cruising!  😄  Amazon actually has a good selection: 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sperry+boots&crid=1M334MOG0UEYC&sprefix=sperry+boots%2Caps%2C201&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I packed them in my suitcase & wore sneakers on the plane.  I made room for them in my suitcase but didn't find them that heavy.

Edited by NikiPinkston

On 3/5/2022 at 10:31 AM, GloriaF said:

Taking care of your feet is essential.  My husband walked the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage, 500 miles across northern Spain.  We learned from REI Camino meetings that a base of Vaseline on feet before putting on cotton toe socks, then thicker warm socks is the key.  He had no issues with his feet following this advice.  On a cruise, hikes will be short in comparison, but figured I'd share what we learned for what it's worth to any of you.

That's incredible they recommend that.  When I run, I put Aquafor on the soles of my feet then hiking socks which are nice and thick.  Never have an issue.  I just did this on my own when covid shut gyms down and I was running outside a lot.  I have also done the double sock routine with aquafor or Vaseline on hikes with my hiking group.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
18 hours ago, ElroyPatrick72 said:

Finding the perfect pair of winter boots may be tricky, but I think you can't go wrong taking a pair of waterproof sneakers- Asics, Merrell, whichever you choose.

The selection of winter boots and sneakers in stores is enormous. If you go with a boyfriend or a husband, he may take these men's work boots Canada on your cruise. Buy more expensive shoes if you intend to wear them often. If you want to use them rarely, you can buy something less expensive.

On our first trip, I mostly wore my tennis shoes. I bought a pair of 15 inch Xtratuf boots before our last trip and that's the only thing I ended up wearing. Totally waterproof, I could wade into shallow water, slip proof on the deck of the ship or boats we were taking excursions on. They're my absolute favorite boot now and I'm really glad I bought them.