New Effy jewellery shop inKDM

VMax1700

New Effy store opens today at 4pm on Koningsdam! This will undoubtably be the highlight of our cruise. 🙄

Official opening by captain and cruise director (poor Capt Darin!) 

I don't know if this is being extended to other ships and i am probably not interested enough to find out 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Having an "Effy" outlet on board would probably rank as the very last reason for us to select a cruise ship.  Right down there with faulty A/C, intermittent plumbing issues, mold, flood zones, or the $9.99 sale nights that clog the aisle ways and are filled with product that could not be sold for $4.99 in Bangkok and Kuala Lumper market stalls.

Edited by iancal
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

New Effy store opens today at 4pm on Koningsdam! This will undoubtably be the highlight of our cruise. 🙄

Official opening by captain and cruise director (poor Capt Darin!) 

I don't know if this is being extended to other ships and i am probably not interested enough to find out 🤣

I am COMPLETELY with you on this, but I have met plenty of people on cruises who LOVE shopping and jewelry "deals".  For some people, shopping is the best part of the cruise.

8 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

I am COMPLETELY with you on this, but I have met plenty of people on cruises who LOVE shopping and jewelry "deals".  For some people, shopping is the best part of the cruise.

Consider that Diamonds International would not likely exist if it were not for cruise passengers seeking jewelry "deals."  I assume some others have noticed that DI stores only exist in cruise ship ports (I think Orlando is the only exception).  Did you ever wonder why?   

Hank

15 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

I remember overhearing a woman worried about getting back from her tour in time to get to Diamonds international. It was our first port, so she wasn't going to miss her only opportunity. But she wanted to get to ALL of them.

Meanwhile, I've never been to one of them.

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Consider that Diamonds International would not likely exist if it were not for cruise passengers seeking jewelry "deals."  I assume some others have noticed that DI stores only exist in cruise ship ports (I think Orlando is the only exception).  Did you ever wonder why?   

Hank

And it's not just in the Caribbean. 

I think I've been offered a chance to see every carpet factory (in Egypt as well as in Turkey), pottery factory (Turkey/Italy), leather "warehouse" (Turkey), diamond factory store (Israel), cameo factory (Naples), wooden box factory (Sorrento), Papyrus factory (Egypt) and olive oil "tasting" (Sicily, Tunisia, Spain, Greece) possible.  Not to mention the wonderful 100% authentic fake Rolexes in Kusadasi...

Cruise travelers must just love these sanitized shopping venues. As for me, if I'm going to be required to shop on a tour, I'd prefer it to be more of an experiential thing, or a photo op:  Places like the Kahn-al-Khalili bazaar in Cairo or the Spice Bazaar in Istanbul or the covered bazaar in Aleppo -- now making a slow recovery after being almost totally obliterated during the recent conflict:  https://apnews.com/71578382fb274bc88a7e78f9d1f2f7c0

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think I've been offered a chance to see every carpet factory (in Egypt as well as in Turkey), pottery factory (Turkey/Italy), leather "warehouse" (Turkey), diamond factory store (Israel), cameo factory (Naples), wooden box factory (Sorrento), Papyrus factory (Egypt) and olive oil "tasting" (Sicily, Tunisia, Spain, Greece) possible.  Not to mention the wonderful 100% authentic fake Rolexes in Kusadasi...

Cruise travelers must just love these sanitized shopping venues. As for me, if I'm going to be required to shop on a tour, I'd prefer it to be more of an experiential thing, or a photo op:  Places like the Kahn-al-Khalili bazaar in Cairo or the Spice Bazaar in Istanbul or the covered bazaar in Aleppo -- now making a slow recovery after being almost totally obliterated during the recent conflict:  https://apnews.com/71578382fb274bc88a7e78f9d1f2f7c0

I will confess to having a place in my heart (previously on my wrist) for those fake Rolex's.  We once bought a high-end fake (probably at Real Fake Watches) for about $10 (we overpaid) which we gave to my father-in-law as a gag gift.  He wore that watch for years (and it kept good time) which impressed everyone where he worked :).  But those fakes can have unexpected consequences.  DW bought a fake Movado in Kusadasi and liked it so much we had to invest in a real one.

You and I might be on the same ship in April.   Perhaps we can get together and share fake watch tales over a real drink :).

Hank

Not to mention precious gemstone bargain stores in Rio or Bangkok.  I bet they are 50 percent off, wholesale, duty free, and perhaps even liquidation.  All with appraisals at 3X of their selling prices.  More carats than bugs bunny has.  Or all of the above.

Wonder how they can always sell these items at these below cost blow out prices and still remain in business year after year?  It is a puzzle for sure.  

Edited by iancal

14 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I bustle past the gauntlet of cruise port stores and head for somewhere local, especially fish or produce markets. I love to see what the local foods look like. If I want a snack, I look for local ice cream or pastries or beer. Even the craft markets are worth a look. A lot of it is mass produced, but you can stumble on something truly handmade and local and have a special souvenir. 

29 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

You and I might be on the same ship in April.   Perhaps we can get together and share fake watch tales over a real drink :).

Hank

Round Japan?  I guess it was a matter of time, although you far surpass me in the number of days at sea per year. 

I'd love to hear some of your tall tales in person. You might even convince me to drive in Italy.....not!

3 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

You must have run into my ex-wife.

Now you know why she's my ex.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I bustle past the gauntlet of cruise port stores and head for somewhere local, especially fish or produce markets. I love to see what the local foods look like. If I want a snack, I look for local ice cream or pastries or beer.

We do, too. One of the things we try to do anywhere we stop is check out the local grocery stores or street markets.  It's fascinating, and a window into real life 🙂

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Round Japan?  I guess it was a matter of time, although you far surpass me in the number of days at sea per year. 

I'd love to hear some of your tall tales in person. You might even convince me to drive in Italy.....not!

We are embarking on April 11 for 30 days (disembarking at Vancouver).   

Hank

The very last time we bothered to kill some time and shop was in St. Thomas.

Picked up a gold piece.  Ask the salesperson to weigh it.  Then we asked for it to be weighed again.  The clerk was somewhat reluctant.  This time on the scale at the back.   Differing weights.

It may have been a coincidence but the scale at the front sales counter displayed a heavier weight.  But I don’t think so.   As DW said, if the weight is off, chances are the quality is also misstated.

Edited by iancal