Explorer cabin advice and "sound proofiness"

slidebite

I tried doing some searches and read what I found applicable in the cabin-guru thread, but figured some might be able to answer a couple of questions here. I do genuinely apologize if these questions have been directly asked here before but I might not be a blackbelt in google-fu quite yet!

We are 2 time Regent cruisers - Penthouse C on Mariner and Concierge D or E (I forget which) on Voyager.

Questions are RE: Explorer

We are looking at booking a cruise on short notice here (April 3, transatlantic). We have cruised with Regent 2x previously, Mariner and Voyager. Possibly decide today.

We are debating between the G2 Veranda or potentially the F1 Superior Veranda. The suite layout itself isn't a huge driver for us - both would certainly meet our needs, although I like the way the TV is located in the living room area of the Superior F and is hinged to point to the bed if you want, and it appears the G-suite lacks this feature, looks like it's always at the bed? ....but otherwise both would be more than adequate for our needs. 

Questions are this:

Anything obviously different between the 2 other than F has more sq/ft and a larger en suite with jack and jill basins? I know we won't have concierge amenities in any and obviously both butler service. This is fine.

We are strongly considering for G-cabins deck 6 midship, locations are either above the coffee connection/coffee bar area or slightly closer to the bow which would have it over the guest services/reception area. I don't believe either to be exceptionally noisy areas, but I am always hesitant with cabins that are not surrounded by other cabins - thoughts?

Secondly - Has Explorer tamed most of the rear noise/vibration that seems to plague other ships? I know Voyager certainly has some, IIRC Mariner had some and even though I don't have first hand experience Navigator reportedly has bad noise/vibration issues in the aft from all the treads here. Should I shy away from anything that is skewed aft? Or is Explorer so new and quiet it really doesn't matter?

Appreciate the thoughts folks!

Edited by slidebite

For a 14 night cruise with lots of sea days, I would go with a mid-ship F1 suite for the extra room and better location, particularly since you like the adjustable TV position.  We’ve not stayed in an F1, but people seem to really like them. I haven’t heard or read anything about an aft vibration on Explorer, though.

If you decide to book this cruise, be sure to join the Roll Call and sign up for the Meet and Mingle.  Hope to see you onboard.

IMO, F2 are the best value suites on Explorer. 

All the D, E and F suites are the same size & layout, with slight variations on balcony depth.

SuiteGuru is a useful reference for reviews of specific suites.

Explorer is a stable ship with no vibration issues that we have noticed so the position of your suite is not so much of an issue. Just check what is above or below as some have reported noise issues from public areas - the between decks soundproofing doesn't seem very effective.

Edited by flossie009

We stayed in a concierge on the recent transatlantic and I think the F1 is worth the extra $$.

With regard to the location, the aft elevators on the Explorer only go to Deck 5, so it involves walking a curved staircase to get to the main dining room.  If walking stairs is an issue, being closer to the forward elevators might be useful.

Thanks for all the input.

I think we're going to go with a deck 8 F1 so it's surrounded by cabins on all sides. I would personally be fine with a forward F2 but the Mrs. is concerned with seasickness, so the relatively small premium for being basically dead center in the ship is important to her.

Edited by slidebite

I think you are making the right choice by booking a F1 suite.  I checked and suites 832–835 are available. They are in a good location. 847, which has a slightly larger balcony than other F1’s, is also available. Hope this helps.

Dave

We just came off Explorer and had an F2 - 807 which was well forward. The most soundproof and stable stateroom we've ever had. Considerable movement at times for the first two sea days as we left Miami due to high winds but the stateroom was no worse we found than down the hall at 859 near the centre elevator bank. I wouldn't hesitate to take a forward cabin on this ship in future.

Cheers,

Rob

slidebite, we chose forward F2 for this trip.  Last transatlantic we were in aft facing G2; even though we had three in the cabin that was a wonderful cabin although it did have some vibration (banging) during "following" seas.  

See you onboard!

Marc

We were in 831 on Explorer.  I think it's an F1, but I can't remember for certain.  Very nice location.   Just aft of the slightly larger balconies.  Nothing objectionable above us to make noise.

I suffer from sea sickness.  This cabin was perfectly stable.  The TV pivot system worked well.  Just be careful at night if you get the side of the bed by the wall.  If you get up in the middle of the night, it's easy to smack into it if you forget.

On 1/23/2020 at 4:59 PM, Robroy said:

We just came off Explorer and had an F2 - 807 which was well forward. The most soundproof and stable stateroom we've ever had. Considerable movement at times for the first two sea days as we left Miami due to high winds but the stateroom was no worse we found than down the hall at 859 near the centre elevator bank. I wouldn't hesitate to take a forward cabin on this ship in future.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob, sound like you were on the cruise we were on - 8-18 January - and one deck below us.  My mom was in 907 and we were in 911.  Yes, the seas were rough and none of us had any issues with seasickness or overly bouncy rooms.

The last time my mom sailed with us on Explorer they were in a G2 and although it's a 'nice' cabin, the extra space is WELL worth the extra $$ in my book.  I've said all along that the F2 is the 'sweet spot' on Explorer.  We've always sailed in F2s (except once we upgraded to a concierge for the pre-cruise night) and we love the space, layout, closet size, etc.  Plus the ocean-facing bed is awesome.  Unless someone had some specific noise issues in an F cabin, I wouldn't hesitate to book any of them on Explorer for any length of cruise.

Bill - yes we were and I think I saw you at the CC meet and mingle but didn't get over to introduce myself. Next time for sure.....:)

We started by booking a G2 but based upon your advice and others', we stepped up to the F2 and were really glad we did. As you said, everything about the cabin was terrific and met our needs to a tee. We found the motion we did experience in the cabin was very pleasant and kept us aware we were on a ship versus a land-based hotel room. Overall it was a terrific trip and we loved the Explorer and all that it offered. Can't wait for the next trip!

On 1/31/2020 at 5:34 PM, Robroy said:

Bill - yes we were and I think I saw you at the CC meet and mingle but didn't get over to introduce myself. Next time for sure.....:)

We started by booking a G2 but based upon your advice and others', we stepped up to the F2 and were really glad we did. As you said, everything about the cabin was terrific and met our needs to a tee. We found the motion we did experience in the cabin was very pleasant and kept us aware we were on a ship versus a land-based hotel room. Overall it was a terrific trip and we loved the Explorer and all that it offered. Can't wait for the next trip!

Robroy - my apologies - this was probably the first M&M that I attended that I didn't really M or M.  My mother was having some mobility issues and we were concerned about her condition and didn't really socialize that much.

Glad you stepped up to the F2 - I really do think the (usually minor) additional cost is well worth it.  Perhaps we'll sail together again and I can make a proper introduction.  Hell, I'll even buy the first round.   😄

Bill - no need to apologize. I was pretty sure I recognized you from your photo but I didn't stop over myself either. We really did enjoy the F2 and will look forward to booking another one when we decide on the right itinerary. Hopefully we can connect in future - I'll hold you to that drink round!!! :)

Meanwhile I'll live vicariously through the exploits of others on this Board!

• 4 weeks later...

We just got off Explorer in an F2-809- never felt or heard a thing in 14 days- Never knew we docked until room service delivered breakfast. No thruster, anchor etc noise. I.m a very light sleeper. Best cabin not a suite we've ever been in

• 1 year later...

We are considering the 2023 Explorer Grand Asia Exploration.  This will be our first experience with Regent, although we are seasoned cruisers. Excursions are included in all ports.   What are your experiences and  thoughts for the "free" excursions and are all  listed excursions included on this 61 day itinerary. Can you take as many as you wish in the time your are in each port?

Thank you.

Love the F2 Cabin on the Explorer. We have a cruise booked on the Explorer and one booked on the Splendor. Both are in F2 cabins. We love the layout with the bed facing outward. We love the huge walk-in closet and there is so much additional storage in the room it's amazing. The bathroom is also very nice with a separate tub, separate shower and dual vanities. Can't go wrong with F1 either of course. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Rivieracruisers said:

We are considering the 2023 Explorer Grand Asia Exploration.  This will be our first experience with Regent, although we are seasoned cruisers. Excursions are included in all ports.   What are your experiences and  thoughts for the "free" excursions and are all  listed excursions included on this 61 day itinerary. Can you take as many as you wish in the time your are in each port?

Thank you.

The 'included' (not 'free') excursions range from pretty good to excellent, with an occasional dog thrown in (rare, IMO).  You can have a listing of all available excursions sent to your email address - we've found that this makes it easier to choose the ones you want.  You can absolutely take more than one excursion in a port - BUT - there's a minimum time window between excursions that you need to meet.  We've done short morning excursions then come back for lunch and done another one in the afternoon.  But honestly, we don't do that too often just because it's a bit too much running for our tastes.  We've found it's usually better to do one longer excursion that hits most of what you want to see.  Not always possible but usually a better option if it is.

So CAN you?  Yes.  Will you WANT to?  Maybe...but probably not.

• Like 3

On 9/20/2021 at 2:27 PM, UUNetBill said:

The 'included' (not 'free') excursions range from pretty good to excellent, with an occasional dog thrown in (rare, IMO).  You can have a listing of all available excursions sent to your email address - we've found that this makes it easier to choose the ones you want.  You can absolutely take more than one excursion in a port - BUT - there's a minimum time window between excursions that you need to meet.  We've done short morning excursions then come back for lunch and done another one in the afternoon.  But honestly, we don't do that too often just because it's a bit too much running for our tastes.  We've found it's usually better to do one longer excursion that hits most of what you want to see.  Not always possible but usually a better option if it is.

So CAN you?  Yes.  Will you WANT to?  Maybe...but probably not.

Thank you!