Brisbae Multi Use Terminal

31 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree with the suggestion of the cruise line's transfers. It is worth checking into. A taxi would cost $50 - $60, so if the ship's transfers are $29 or less pp, I would take that option. If there are more than two people, a taxi would be cheaper. 

Agreed, several years ago our taxi was more like $75 and we didn't go to the airport but a few suburbs short of it at Wooloowin

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Agreed, several years ago our taxi was more like $75 and we didn't go to the airport but a few suburbs short of it at Wooloowin

That's interesting. My guess would be at least $80 to go from the airport to the Fisherman's Island terminal. I know what we pay from our home to either the airport or to the Portside terminal. Lately we have been leaving our car under cover at Gateway Parking. It is cheaper than two taxi fares and more convenient.

The website "Taxi Calculator" showed that the fare would be $48, but I have usually found the reality to much more than that website shows.🙂

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

That's interesting. My guess would be at least $80 to go from the airport to the Fisherman's Island terminal. I know what we pay from our home to either the airport or to the Portside terminal. Lately we have been leaving our car under cover at Gateway Parking. It is cheaper than two taxi fares and more convenient.

The website "Taxi Calculator" showed that the fare would be $48, but I have usually found the reality to much more than that website shows.🙂

Yeah, I would think it at least another $10-15 to get to the airport from Wooloowin, although it may have a slightly different route if not going via Wooloowin.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yeah, I would think it at least another $10-15 to get to the airport from Wooloowin, although it may have a slightly different route if not going via Wooloowin.

Yes, it would be a different route. The distance from Fishermans Island to the airport would probably be about the same as from F.I. to Wooloowin, or maybe a bit less.

Edited by Aus Traveller

On 1/22/2020 at 8:33 AM, lissie said:

We're be in Brissie 4 weeks today - getting a little bit excited now - though cruising was never an ambition of mine - always interesting to do something new - just hoping I can conquer seasickness. 

lissie,

first cruise we ever took, I was bowled over by seasickness (also get car sick) but ........ the best seasick remedy is Bonine Tablets IMHO. 
You can buy packets of 8 on most ships in their shop that sells supplies, or I get them from Ebay ( you don’t have time for this cruise tho).

Take one a night just before going to bed. No side effects, work perfectly but take every night cause weather can change without notice.

Others will tell you, ginger, bands, Dramamine, etc - but Bonine simply just work and could be what you need.

Enjoy your cruise, we cruised Cunard on QM2 and quite liked her.

Rose

04DB5C0E-74F7-4F3A-ACAD-57F1DA883C4F.jpeg

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

lissie,

first cruise we ever took, I was bowled over by seasickness (also get car sick) but ........ the best seasick remedy is Bonine Tablets IMHO. 

That's the one that totally didn't work for me the last time  Iwas sick  on a boat - I knew it was a rough crossing - took it in good time on land - sick as a dog PLUS sleepy from the drugs. Not impressed. 

2 minutes ago, lissie said:

That's the one that totally didn't work for me the last time  Iwas sick  on a boat - I knew it was a rough crossing - took it in good time on land - sick as a dog PLUS sleepy from the drugs. Not impressed. 

Try it again. You need to take it at bedtime 24hrs before you first travel then by taking it before you go to bed, you avoid the drowsy effects.  All drugs for seasickness will make you drowsy I guess, this one the least,  I found. You can also halve it and see how you go on that much - def worth a try I would think, to make your cruise enjoyable.
Other than this, you are in the hands of the naturalists - pun intended 😉

Rose

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

Try it again. You need to take it at bedtime 24hrs before you first travel then by taking it before you go to bed, you avoid the drowsy effects.  All drugs for seasickness will make you drowsy I guess, this one the least,  I found. You can also halve it and see how you go on that much - def worth a try I would think, to make your cruise enjoyable.

Rose

Rose, Phenergan works very well for me, Bonine made me feel unwell and much more drowsy than Phenergan so I think that different drugs work for different people. I used to take Avomine until it was discontinued in Australia, it is basically the same as Phenergan which as it works well for me, I will continue to take.

Phenergan is quite often given as a shot in the medical centres of cruise ships.

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

Rose

My other option is just to tough it out - we have one sea day and then one port day at the start - might do nothing for  the first sea day and see how I go - if its bad I  have the port day to start whichever drugs I go with - quite possibly all of them!  

14 minutes ago, possum52 said:

used to take Avomine until it was discontinued in Australia, it is basically the same as Phenergan which as it works well for me, I will continue to take.

Leigh,

I had heard this about Avomine, have actually never used it and it’s a shame it’s no longer available. You are correct, you do have to try and find the one that works for you, but sometimes it’s also they way we take them, which I was trying to help lissie with too. 
   We all just have to find our happy place and cruise there don’t we? 
Cheers, Rose

3 minutes ago, lissie said:

My other option is just to tough it out - we have one sea day and then one port day at the start - might do nothing for  the first sea day and see how I go - if its bad I  have the port day to start whichever drugs I go with - quite possibly all of them!  

That is a great option lissie, could get great weather and not have a problem 😃

Which ship and where to?

1 minute ago, Porky55 said:

Leigh,

I had heard this about Avomine, have actually never used it and it’s a shame it’s no longer available. You are correct, you do have to try and find the one that works for you, but sometimes it’s also they way we take them, which I was trying to help lissie with too. 
   We all just have to find our happy place and cruise there don’t we? 
Cheers, Rose

Avomine and Phenegran are the same thing - they are brandnames for promethazine which is the active ingrediant  

Just now, Porky55 said:

That is a great option lissie, could get great weather and not have a problem 😃

Which ship and where to?

Queen Elizabeth to PNG Sydney - sea- Brisbane 2 days to PNG 4 ports in  5 days - 1 sea day back to Cairns and then 2 days back to Sydney.  

PNG will be fine they don't get cyclones - so its quite possible that the days either side of Brisbane could be the roughest. 

1 minute ago, lissie said:

Queen Elizabeth to PNG Sydney - sea- Brisbane 2 days to PNG 4 ports in  5 days - 1 sea day back to Cairns and then 2 days back to Sydney.  

PNG will be fine they don't get cyclones - so its quite possible that the days either side of Brisbane could be the roughest. 

Nope - no cyclones around at present or in the near future so you should be fine. We have had tons of rain and everything looks stunning up this way now (unlike a month ago - looked like NSW & Vic - dry).  

Seas around Brissy can also be great and rough around PNG (been twice now) so it’s a lottery. Just relax and enjoy 👍

Hope you are packing lots of formal clothes 😉

Rose

4 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Nope - no cyclones around at present or in the near future so you should be fine. We have had tons of rain and everything looks stunning up this way now (unlike a month ago - looked like NSW & Vic - dry).  

Seas around Brissy can also be great and rough around PNG (been twice now) so it’s a lottery. Just relax and enjoy 👍

Hope you are packing lots of formal clothes 😉

Rose

Cool I love Queensland when its green! 

WE went shopping  my partner now has a suite AND a jacket LOL. We normally carry  travel carry-on only - now we have a humungous large bag to  drag along. We love to dance so I really don't want to spend 1/2 the trip in bed! 

12 minutes ago, lissie said:

Cool I love Queensland when its green! 

WE went shopping  my partner now has a suite AND a jacket LOL. We normally carry  travel carry-on only - now we have a humungous large bag to  drag along. We love to dance so I really don't want to spend 1/2 the trip in bed! 

Aha you will be off to the Queens Room after dinner 💃  Don’t forget his ties - these are a MUST for men 🧐

Edited by Porky55