Need to scrap "Symphony" for shorter cruise

lmintzer

Thanks to those who answered my Symphony of the Seas questions earlier today and yesterday.  I guess I posted too soon. As it turns out, the people I am traveling with (we are a multigenerational group: 2 seniors, 2 40-something moms, 2 teens, and two school-aged kids) need to switch gears and do a 4 night cruise out of South Florida instead of a 7 night. So now we are looking at either the Navigator of the Seas out of Miami (Coco Cay, Nassau, Coco Cay) or the Independence of the Seas out of Ft. Lauderdale (Nassau, at Sea, Coco Cay). 

Looks like the Independence was remodeled in 2018 and the Navigator in 2019. Reading some reviews that suggest that not all the staterooms were rehabbed. 

Any thoughts on which would be better?  I have a slight preference for the itinerary with the sea day. Not sure we need Coco Cay twice.

I'm a little disappointed to not be cruising for the whole week--but maybe I can do a tour of the Everglades or something else on the Florida Keys with my teen boys when we return. And they would certainly be excited about the possibility of going to Atlantis for the day!

TIA for any advice you may have.

I have been on Navigator once and Independence twice in the past year (after the refurb of both ships). The ships are similar in design, but I would pick the Independence any day.

They did a magnificent job on the refurbishment of Independence and both ships feel brand new now, but I am of the opinion that they over-did it on Navigator. The pool on Navigator deck is beautiful now, but they did way too much to deck 12 for a ship of this size. They added cabanas, hot tubs, etc, but there was not really room for it up there IMO. It is great on Oasis of the Seas where there is room, but it is overcrowded and chopped up feeling on Navigator. They also "enhanced" the gym on Navigator by making it smaller and moving it a strange location with no real view and getting rid of the free sauna and steam rooms. The one positive I would give Navigator is that the stateroom were renovated. On Independence, only furniture that was worn was replaced, so you could get a room with new carpet and chairs, or could not. That said, our cabin on Independence was not in bad shape at all. 

Independence has the Splashaway Bay waterpark for kids, it is slightly larger, and newer. 

Thanks much for the feedback. I am leaning toward the Independence itinerary anyhow. In part, because I like an "at sea" day. Or I won't feel like we are cruising. Also, for "selfish" reasons--there seem to be J3 junior suites for 3 available on the Independence sailing. Would rather not be cramped in a balcony with my boys.

If anyone has any particular favorite J3 suites on the Independence (location-wise), please feel free to share. : )

So here are the J3s that are available on this sailing that sleep 3: there are 2 all the way forward on 11 very near the spa (Are these new cabins? Are the balconies completely enclosed?). Next, there is the lone 1600 on 10, port side. There is 1706 (aft-facing on10), and finally 1104 and 1106--Starboard side, toward the stern.

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 11.56.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 11.56.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 11.57.07 PM.png

Edited by lmintzer

6 minutes ago, lmintzer said:

So here are the J3s that are available on this sailing that sleep 3: there are 2 all the way forward on 11 very near the spa (Are these new cabins? Are the balconies completely enclosed?). Next, there is the lone 1600 on 10, port side. There is 1706 (aft-facing on10), and finally 1104 and 1106--Starboard side, toward the stern.

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 11.56.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 11.56.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 11.57.07 PM.png

We would take the very aft 1706 in a heart beat. We absolutely love to sit and watch the wake. The balconies are also bigger back there. The walk also helps with the extra calories, at least a little bit. 😁

Thanks for the feedback. I just came across a Youtube video of 1706. Downsides: it's not renovated and you can see some of the framework, structure of the ship and the lower decks below. But the view still appears quite good, and the balcony looks to huge and shaded. I cannot find videos of 1378, 1372, or 1600. I did, howeve, find a video of 1106. It looks fresh and new! Pretty wood floor on the balcony. Appears to be unobstructed. The big downside: glass above the railing as well--all the way up. I'm sure it's to block wind, but I'm not sure if that would feel like it was outside. Otherwise--this stateroom is so nice!