Princess Wine By The Glass

silversneakers

56 minutes ago, loge23 said:

Yes, no problem. The bartenders at the Vines will ask you to switch your glass from the Riedels used at the Vines to a standard wine glass to go. Sometimes, you may get a wait team in the MDR that will go to the Vines for refills for you, but that's not standard procedure - and sometimes you may be allowed to take your Riedel with you as long as you return it to the Vines, but that's not standard procedure either.

this has changed on the SKY Princess - as they must have changed their stemware, as we were allowed to take our Vines glasses to the mdr and not asked to bring them back

• Like 1

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

this has changed on the SKY Princess - as they must have changed their stemware, as we were allowed to take our Vines glasses to the mdr and not asked to bring them back

So nice!!  We were in Club Class a couple of months ago and they wouldn't allow us to take the nice glasses from Vines to the MDR.  It was just one deck up.  I even promised to be very careful and bring it back after dinner ... but, no .... they poured it into a to go glass, walked it up to the dining room, where they poured it into a nice thin rimmed glass.  I'm one that thinks even a cheaper wine tastes so much better out of the proper wine glass.  I really don't care for those glasses with the bubble lipped rim ... I'm not even a wine snob ... it just honestly makes a difference. 

8 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Once you pay the corkage for any bottles beyond your two bottle limit or buy a wine bottle package, you can take a take a glass and drink it wherever you choose.  We always try to purchase the wine bottle package when it is available and ask to take a bottle or two to our room with us.  That way, we pour a glass to drink before dinner.  

When I was on Island I would bring wine on board and they did not charge me the $15.  This was my first Princess cruise.  Am I missing something?  

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

So nice!!  We were in Club Class a couple of months ago and they wouldn't allow us to take the nice glasses from Vines to the MDR.  It was just one deck up.  I even promised to be very careful and bring it back after dinner ... but, no .... they poured it into a to go glass, walked it up to the dining room, where they poured it into a nice thin rimmed glass.  I'm one that thinks even a cheaper wine tastes so much better out of the proper wine glass.  I really don't care for those glasses with the bubble lipped rim ... I'm not even a wine snob ... it just honestly makes a difference. 

We enjoyed the Spellbound Petite Sirah. It's not a fancy wine but we like it. When we drank in in Vines in the nice glasses it tasted better than when we got it "to go" to take to dinner. I totally agree that the glass definitely does make a difference.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

When I was on Island I would bring wine on board and they did not charge me the $15.  This was my first Princess cruise.  Am I missing something?  

On initial boarding each passenger may bring one 750ml bottle of wine aboard without charge. It is to be consumed in the cabin. If you take it to the dining room they charge you $15 corkage. Any bottles above the allowance are supposed to be charged the $15 corkage fee when you board. Sometimes this doesn't happen. Also, quite often, when one purchases wine while in port (not at initial boarding) they are allowed to bring it aboard without being charged.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We enjoyed the Spellbound Petite Sirah. It's not a fancy wine but we like it. When we drank in in Vines in the nice glasses it tasted better than when we got it "to go" to take to dinner. I totally agree that the glass definitely does make a difference.

We also like the Spellbound. It was one of my mom's favourite wines so it has a sentimental aspect for me as well. Also, wine glasses definitely do make a difference.

5 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

We also like the Spellbound. It was one of my mom's favourite wines so it has a sentimental aspect for me as well. Also, wine glasses definitely do make a difference.

Sadly, it is no longer offered by the glass. On our last two cruises it was offered by the bottle but only in MDR - not in Vines. At the "regular" wine tasting (sorry, can't remember the name of the wine tasting - it's the one that is $9.99 or free if you arePlatinum or Elite) it was by far the most popular wine. I asked the maitre 'd who hosted the thing why it was discontinued while it was the most popular wine on the list for the wine tasting and he pretty much told me "because". He had no real explanation and it seemed like he really didn't know other than "someone else decided" or something of that sort.  He agreed with me that people liked the wine a lot but had no explanation as to why it was being discontinued. I asked if it was just too inexpensive to suit those who make the decisions and his "mannerisms" seemed to agree with that explanation but he obviously can't say things like that. He definitely did agree that it was was very popular choice.

13 hours ago, Ombud said:

When doing a B2B in March will I be charged for bringing the 2nd one onboard? (1 bottle each voyage). They have mine but if I can bring 2 on it's cheaper at Bevmo.com 

12 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Yup. One bottle per person. Per cruise.

You can bring TWO bottles on board per person when sailing B2B upon initial embarkation.  Just let them know you are doing that and be prepared to show them your booking confirmation or the paper boarding pass as proof if they ask.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

Thanks for the red wine recommendation.  Will have to try it out next time we get the wine bottle package.  

13 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

The first two are corkage free provided  you drink them in your cabin.  When boarding, you would need to stop by the wine table by security and have the bottles checked off for corkage there.  They register how many bottles you are bringing on, put a sticker on the bottles you choose to drink outside your cabin.  If you take an unstickered bottle to dinner, their policy dictates you will be charged the $15 for corkage at that time.  

But, like all Princess policies, they are inconsistently enforced.  We took a bottle to dinner that we full well were prepared to pay the corkage on and the maitre'd insisted it was his treat.  At other times, we've been charged the corkage in the dining room.  

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

Sadly, it is no longer offered by the glass. On our last two cruises it was offered by the bottle but only in MDR - not in Vines. At the "regular" wine tasting (sorry, can't remember the name of the wine tasting - it's the one that is $9.99 or free if you arePlatinum or Elite) it was by far the most popular wine. I asked the maitre 'd who hosted the thing why it was discontinued while it was the most popular wine on the list for the wine tasting and he pretty much told me "because". He had no real explanation and it seemed like he really didn't know other than "someone else decided" or something of that sort.  He agreed with me that people liked the wine a lot but had no explanation as to why it was being discontinued. I asked if it was just too inexpensive to suit those who make the decisions and his "mannerisms" seemed to agree with that explanation but he obviously can't say things like that. He definitely did agree that it was was very popular choice.

Well that’s disappointing, loved having a glass of the Spellbound in Vines with tapas or sushi. I’m not normally a wine drinker but I enjoyed this wine enough to buy a couple of bottles locally.

3 hours ago, Jojiboy said:

Well that’s disappointing, loved having a glass of the Spellbound in Vines with tapas or sushi. I’m not normally a wine drinker but I enjoyed this wine enough to buy a couple of bottles locally.

We were still able to get a bottle in MDR an enjoyed it with our dinner. We'll have to find another wine in Vines. Fortunately, our next cruise is a 33 day B2B2B with the beverage package so we can experiment to find what we prefer.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

We were still able to get a bottle in MDR an enjoyed it with our dinner. We'll have to find another wine in Vines. Fortunately, our next cruise is a 33 day B2B2B with the beverage package so we can experiment to find what we prefer.

Thanks, we’ll probably order a bottle in the MDR. Just not the same as drinking it while munching on tapas in Vines. I guess I’m just being nostalgic about it. There was a Rosé we enjoyed in Vines too. Unfortunately the name escapes me at the moment.

20 minutes ago, Jojiboy said:

Thanks, we’ll probably order a bottle in the MDR. Just not the same as drinking it while munching on tapas in Vines. I guess I’m just being nostalgic about it. There was a Rosé we enjoyed in Vines too. Unfortunately the name escapes me at the moment.

You can take a bottle from the MDR to Vines and visa versa. We have done it both ways with no problems. Just that Vines will not normally let you take their glasses with you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RMMariner said:

You can take a bottle from the MDR to Vines and visa versa. We have done it both ways with no problems. Just that Vines will not normally let you take their glasses with you.

Didn’t know that. Thank you, that’s a great tip.

On 1/26/2020 at 2:13 PM, Jojiboy said:

Didn’t know that. Thank you, that’s a great tip.

Better yet, if you start a bottle in Vines, they will probably send it to the dining room for you so you don't have to carry it there.  Most of the times, the sommelier (if that is what they are) that works in Vines, is really good.  We've run into a bad one now and again, but that is the exception, not the rule.  

58 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Better yet, if you start a bottle in Vines, they will probably send it to the dining room for you so you don't have to carry it there.  Most of the times, the sommelier (if that is what they are) that works in Vines, is really good.  We've run into a bad one now and again, but that is the exception, not the rule.  

Thanks, something to keep in mind. Do you know if that works in reverse too? Where you start a bottle in the MDR would they send it to Vines if requested?

3 minutes ago, Jojiboy said:

Thanks, something to keep in mind. Do you know if that works in reverse too? Where you start a bottle in the MDR would they send it to Vines if requested?

Probably not .... it's most likely, it is easier to just take it with you to Vines.  Or ... just empty the bottle into your glasses or take the bottle with you and go sit at Vines.  But, if that doesn't work for you, give it a try.  

Either way, I know that Vines will transfer your wine into one of their better glasses if you ask.  

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

Probably not .... it's most likely, it is easier to just take it with you to Vines.  Or ... just empty the bottle into your glasses or take the bottle with you and go sit at Vines.  But, if that doesn't work for you, give it a try.  

Either way, I know that Vines will transfer your wine into one of their better glasses if you ask.  

Thanks, I figured that might be the case. Either way, doesn't really matter. If we enjoy the wine I'm more than happy and willing to shuttle it back and forth if need be.

OP, Princess, like most restaurants, pours five glasses of wine out of a bottle.  Not a hard and fast rule, but their wine-by-the-glass pricing is about 1/4 their bottle price.  So, if you drink four glasses, you've bought a bottle.  You may feel that you are not going to drink four glasses, but if you drink two, you can have Princess store the remaining wine for you, and you can enjoy the rest of it at another time.  My wife and I never buy WBTG on a Princess cruise.

On 1/25/2020 at 6:34 AM, riffatsea said:

OK I see that my next ship the Star has Vines so will look forward to using it for tasting!!

I'm going to give you a tip, Riff.  We just left the Star Princess, yesterday, after a 15-day Hawaii cruise.  We made multiple visits to Vines.  On about the third visit I took a closer look at the bottles of wine that are displayed in the racks around the seating area.  I was a bit surprised to see some wines that are not on the Vines menu.  On our next visit, I asked Martin, one of the two bartenders, if those wines were available for sale.  He said that of course they were.  Great.  There were three bottles of 2013 Chappellet Merlot in the racks, and I asked for one of those.

IMG_5411.JPG.439d1629cdce3eec9574e0db9895c09f.JPG

Apparently, these are wines that were on a previous wine list.  The new wine list does not include them, but, in addition to decorating the room, they are, in fact, available for sale.

Sadly, for you, there is no more of the Chappellet available.  I had a second bottle a few days later, and the third is now in my wine vault.  

However, I also found this outstanding Seghesio:

IMG_5431.jpg.65a8977e63069cf975e53858efac24ca.jpg

I also, now, have one of these in my home inventory, but I left 7 or 8 of them in the racks.

Have a great cruise.

20 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

OP, Princess, like most restaurants, pours five glasses of wine out of a bottle.  Not a hard and fast rule, but their wine-by-the-glass pricing is about 1/4 their bottle price.  So, if you drink four glasses, you've bought a bottle.  You may feel that you are not going to drink four glasses, but if you drink two, you can have Princess store the remaining wine for you, and you can enjoy the rest of it at another time. 

It's funny ... I was just going to mention that. 

When you purchase a glass of wine, they will get 5 glasses to the bottle but when you purchase a bottle of wine, they will pour for 4 glasses to the bottle.  And, with the bottle, even when you've had enough, they will still try to finish off that bottle.  You have to be quick with your hand to cover your glass.  hahaha!  

42 minutes ago, Jojiboy said:

Thanks, I figured that might be the case. Either way, doesn't really matter. If we enjoy the wine I'm more than happy and willing to shuttle it back and forth if need be.

Oh yes, if you are sharing, one bottle is really only two (+ 1/4) glasses each.  That's easy to kill off in one night.  

56 minutes ago, Jojiboy said:

They will however transfer an unfinished bottle from the MDR to a specialty restaurant if you happened to be dining there one evening.

48 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

It's funny ... I was just going to mention that. 

When you purchase a glass of wine, they will get 5 glasses to the bottle but when you purchase a bottle of wine, they will pour for 4 glasses to the bottle.  And, with the bottle, even when you've had enough, they will still try to finish off that bottle.  You have to be quick with your hand to cover your glass.  hahaha!  

47 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Oh yes, if you are sharing, one bottle is really only two (+ 1/4) glasses each.  That's easy to kill off in one night.  

43 minutes ago, polmcs said:

They will however transfer an unfinished bottle from the MDR to a specialty restaurant if you happened to be dining there one evening.

It is easy to spot the XBGuys at Vines or any dining venue.  We're the ones with two open bottles of wine on our table--a red for me and a white for her--OK, the bottle with the white is probably in an ice bucket and not on our table.  Sometimes we take the remains of any given bottle back to our cabin, sometimes we ask them to store it for us and sometimes we leave it for staff.  The staff at Sabatini's loved the glass and a half in the remains of the Luce della Vite that I left for them a week ago.

• Like 1