31 Carnival Cruises down - Totally clueless for first RCL!!!

3 hours ago, Daniel1313 said:

Doesn't look like they offer any IPA's in the beer category ....

That's just the generic menu that was posted.  Pretty much every bar will have at least this selection. 

But each bar also has their own menu with specialty drinks for that bar.  Plus if the specialty restaurant has a bar you can visit it without eating at the restaurant (on Harmony this is Wonderland and Sabor).

The pub typically has at least one IPA..I've seen Lagunitas and Stone regularly on board.

42 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

That's just the generic menu that was posted.  Pretty much every bar will have at least this selection. 

But each bar also has their own menu with specialty drinks for that bar.  Plus if the specialty restaurant has a bar you can visit it without eating at the restaurant (on Harmony this is Wonderland and Sabor).

The pub typically has at least one IPA..I've seen Lagunitas and Stone regularly on board.

Awesome....  Thanks 

15 hours ago, Daniel1313 said:

Doesn't look like they offer any IPA's in the beer category ....

The menus can vary from ship to ship and bar to bar. I've seen IPA's at the sports bar or English pub for instance but not at the pool bar etc....

T

My wife and I recently did a short cruise on Navigator of the Seas after 35 consecutive cruises on Carnival. Based on one short cruise on one ship, my wife and I were both very impressed with Royal. We loved the layout of the ship and never felt crowded at any time during the cruise.  The adult area was far better than any Serenity area on Carnival (we have been on every class of Carnival ship multiple times except Splendor). 

The Promenade area was phenomenal and we really enjoyed all the different bars and the wide variety of drinks and beers available depending on which bar you were at.  The forward theater was the best theater we have seen and the ice skating show was excellent. 

We deliberately only ate food included in the cruise fare and thought the food was very comparable to Carnival’s food. 

The embarkation and debarkation were by far the best we have experienced, despite having priority status on Carnival.  It literally took us 12 minutes from the time we left our car in the parking garage until we were on the ship. We did self-assist debarkation and once again literally never stopped moving from the time we left our cabin until we got to our car.  The facial recognition they used instead of checking your passport was a first for us and I thought was really impressive and fast.  

I have nothing bad to say about Carnival, and maybe a part of why we were so impressed with Royal is everything was new to us, but both my wife and I agree we want to cruise on Royal for the forseeable future, which is why our next four cruises our booked on Royal.

One last thing to mention, we also really enjoyed Coco Cay. Both my wife and I can now say we have been on the tallest slide in North America.  However, neither of us had the guts to try the slide where the floor drops from under your feet or the blue slide which was a pretty steep straight drop. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 1

One thing to try as you sample any other cruise line for the first time is to put yourself right back to that very first cruise you ever took.  Remember that awesome feeling walking on a ship for the first time ever?

As seasoned cruisers it's easy to have that air about us... " I'm an experienced cruiser, I'm no rookie, I know the routine".  

The night before the cruise keep telling yourself  "I've never cruised before, this is my first cruise ever".  Then with your memory wiped of all your bad habits and preconceptions,  when you walk on that strange ship it will be like the first time all over again.  That's a pretty cool experience.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, twangster said:

One thing to try as you sample any other cruise line for the first time is to put yourself right back to that very first cruise you ever took.  Remember that awesome feeling walking on a ship for the first time ever?

As seasoned cruisers it's easy to have that air about us... " I'm an experienced cruiser, I'm no rookie, I know the routine".  

The night before the cruise keep telling yourself  "I've never cruised before, this is my first cruise ever".  Then with your memory wiped of all your bad habits and preconceptions,  when you walk on that strange ship it will be like the first time all over again.  That's a pretty cool experience.  

I love that thought!  Everyone has provided such great tips.  Half the fun has been all the research!

I am also coming over from Carnival, although I haven't sailed as extensively as the OP.  My first Royal ship was Harmony and I was floored.  I am booked on a Carnival cruise that is coming up soon.  I will never again sail the Carnival ships I previously sailed.  I'm hoping I enjoy the Vista class ships and the upcoming Mardi Gras.

If the Carnival Vista doesn't float my boat, then the Mardi Gras will be the last shot.

9 minutes ago, soremekun said:

I am also coming over from Carnival, although I haven't sailed as extensively as the OP.  My first Royal ship was Harmony and I was floored.  I am booked on a Carnival cruise that is coming up soon.  I will never again sail the Carnival ships I previously sailed.  I'm hoping I enjoy the Vista class ships and the upcoming Mardi Gras.

If the Carnival Vista doesn't float my boat, then the Mardi Gras will be the last shot.

I have been on a lot of RCI ships and used to sail Carnival in 1990's.

I sailed on Carnival Vista in 2018 and loved it.

Was very impressed with everything except lower level of main theatre. Odd setup and seats uncomfortable.

Pool are has middle level with lots of shade.

Enjoyed IMAX and food in buffet was very good.

My mattress on Vista was very nice. Not hard like on RCI.

Frankly I try all the ships. I was mildly happy with my Princess cruise in 2009, but just booked new Discovery Princess for 2022 with itineraries from LA just like new Panorama ship.

On 1/25/2020 at 12:08 PM, GB Chicago said:

2.  Dinners - Do we really need to pay for all those specialty restaurants or will we be happy in the main dining room?  Have done both on Carnival and I'm usually fine in MDR.

5.  Any other Carnival/RCL cruise tips on the difference between lines would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks from a hopefully converted RCL Cruiser!

You are going on an Oasis class ship, so there are lots of Specialty Dining options. I bought the Ultimate Dining package for my cruise on the Oasis, but the MDR and free food will be great. For contrast, I sailed on the Carnival Horizon and made two impromptu visits to specialty dining during that cruise because I didn't care for the MDR menu that night.

Pluses and minuses. Both cruise lines had free pizza but it was easier to get on RCL. RCL charges for popcorn, but has better soft drinks. (Carnival switched to Pepsi products, RCL has Coke Freestyle machines.) There are more free activities and areas on RCL.

1 hour ago, soremekun said:

Both my wife and I experienced the “wow” factor when we were on Navigator. That has never happened on any Carnival ship and we have been on every new Carnival ship over the last decade or so with the exception of Panorama.  However, I will always be a big fan of the Carnival ships themed by Joe Farcus.  

We have already booked several more cruises on Royal and I don’t see us going on another Carnival cruise any time soon. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 12:08 PM, GB Chicago said:

I am so excited for my upcoming April  Harmony of the Seas cruise.  I am a pro on Carnival - Platinum status - totally spoiled.  So here goes with my questions.  Help please!

1. Embarkation - We have noon on our boarding pass although I have read we can get there as early as 10:15 in Orlando and they don't enforce the set time like Carnival.  True?

2.  Dinners - Do we really need to pay for all those specialty restaurants or will we be happy in the main dining room?  Have done both on Carnival and I'm usually fine in MDR.

3.  Wine package - does RCL have a separate multi bottle purchase package?  Does anyone have the link?

4.  Unlimited drink package - boy I have read a lot of posts on the "sale" price pre cruise.  I don't think we will drink enough to make it worth $61 a day.  Does anyone have the link to the drink prices?

5.  Any other Carnival/RCL cruise tips on the difference between lines would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks from a hopefully converted RCL Cruiser!

I've cruised mostly RCL and Carnival once, and I can help with a few of these:

1. Yes, in Port Canaveral, I have boarded as early as 10:30 a.m.

2. We are perfectly happy in the main dining room. It's a great dining experience. Chops is okay. Giovanni's is GREAT and I do recommend it, but I don't eat there every cruise.

3. IDK

4. I've never bought a drink package because of how much you have to drink per day to make it pay off. I only drink a little alcohol, and I don't drink sugary non-alc drinks. I generally prefer to eat my calories rather than drink them.

5. Other tips:

* There is much better crew involvement in directing everyone to their muster stations for the muster drill on Royal. Royal's muster drills are much better organized, and it's easier to figure out where you're supposed to go.

* If you have kids under 12 with you, they will have to wear a wrist band the whole time. If they don't give them to you at check-in, be sure to ask a crew member as soon as you board. Sometimes the bands are issued on the first deck you enter upon boarding, sometimes at check-in.

* You should head to your muster station as soon as they start announcing that muster will be soon, and don't wait for the alarm horns at actual muster time. The crew and other passengers weirdly expect everyone to be checked in already at muster by the time the alarm horns go, and I've seen crew members mark people absent if they're not there when the alarm sounds, which is so odd to me because in a real emergency you're not going anywhere until the alarm sounds.

* I've only been on one Carnival ship (Liberty), and I hated the layout of it. Traffic flows much better on every RCL ship I've been on, but RCL has somewhat fewer elevators. I remember being blown away at how many elevators were on the Carnival ship.

* The Windjammer buffet is SOOOOO much better than Carnival's buffet, except the desserts are not good, IMO. I save my dessert calories for the main dining room, which does have good desserts.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Plat. on Carnival with our first Royal cruise booked for Oct. A couple of questions, Please. Does Royal have an online app similar to Carnivals Hub app? It's very handy for planning activities. Also I see that they have a coffee package. Is it a good thing to have? Thanks So Much!

18 minutes ago, cuppettmd said:

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Plat. on Carnival with our first Royal cruise booked for Oct. A couple of questions, Please. Does Royal have an online app similar to Carnivals Hub app? It's very handy for planning activities. Also I see that they have a coffee package. Is it a good thing to have? Thanks So Much!

Royal does have the "Royal Caribbean" app.  They started developing the app after Carnival so they are behind in that area.  It's gotten much better recently but still a work in progress.  

Oasis class and some Voyager class have an actual Starbucks on board where the coffee package doesn't work.   If you are a Starbucks person you are better off just buying coffee like you would at home.  The coffee package does work at non-Starbucks venues like cafe Promenade or Park Cafe where a barista will make you a coffee based on your order.

Here is a typical cafe menu with pricing so you can determine if the package is right for you.

oa_menus-20.jpg

If you buy the Deluxe Beverage package (alcohol) then you don't need the coffee package.  Starbucks is still not included with the deluxe beverage package but the coffee menu above is.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 12:20 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

We have already booked several more cruises on Royal and I don’t see us going on another Carnival cruise any time soon. 

Wow! I've followed your thoughtful posts on the carnival boards for years and generally agreed with most of your opinions. Surprised to see this take.

Cost wise, was it more expensive? Do you plan to do a full review? Going to try the status match with MSC or any other ships in the upcoming future?

I will have to take a second look at the other cruise lines again.