NYC 11:30am flight out of JFK on debarkation day?

darin2

Can this be done easily?  We are arriving back in Manhattan on Carnival Cruise on Oct. 11th, which is a Sunday.  I know they will let you off early if you have an early flight.  If we get on the road by 8am, I figure that gives us 1.5 hrs to make it to JFK ( I always like to get there two hours before departure).  Anyone have experience with this type of early flight?  Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

It's close to an all-success required plan. You have an hour of wiggle room.  Even on a Sunday, one accident can have you sitting in traffic a half hour or more.  Last time it happened to me coming into the city from LaGuardia the driver got off when we could and drove the streets of queens and we were an hour later than expected.  Also assumes no excess time at security checkpoint.  

You have good odds but must be prepared for not making it.  If that's a problem, book a later flight.

On 1/27/2020 at 7:38 PM, cruiserking said:

On a Sunday morning the traffic to JFK will be very light. You should make it on-time provided you are able to debark the ship at 8:00 am. 

Jonathan

There is never a guarantee that traffic to JFK will be light.There are always construction delays on NYC highways.

Sailed out of NYC 4 times on a Sunday, always were in line before 7 am for self disembarkment. Three times we were home before 8:30 am (live in NJ 10 miles away). Once we didn’t make it home until 11:30 due to a shortage of customs agents. My daughter’s Confirmation was at noon, it was pretty stressful. It happens now and then.

OP, I am looking at your Carnival Radiance 7 nights Canada/N.E. cruise returning on a Sunday, scheduled arrival at 8 am - correct ??

If true, everyone needs to clear CBP upon disembarkation in NYC (I don't believe it's done at Halifax, the last port stop) and that is going to slow things up quite a bit.  Unless the ship arrives back early, numerous factors can impact on whether you can be first off the ship, priority for flights aside - time for the ship to dock safely, getting clearance with the gangways ready - and, even with facial recognition tech for quicker processing, etc.  Tide & river currents had been known to delay arrival, plus a busy port terminal with more than 1 or 2 ships coming back on the same day - Fall season is very busy & popular with cruise lines doing the same routes.  Ground transportation might be gridlocked in and around the cruise terminals - waiting for the car/driver to come & find you ... (you) finding them across 12th Avenue to get picked up. 

Odds are slim to none that you can "leave" Manhattan's West Side pier toward JFK anytime earlier than 8:45 to 9:15 am, if not later than that ... I would say 9:30 isn't all that "late" as your plan.  No way, "Jose" for being on the road/highway by 8 am, possibly 8:15 to 8:30 am if the ship is early as in docked by 7 to 7:30 am - and that would be your lucky day, buy a lottery ticket on your way home once at JFK's terminal (which airline ?? - it can be a long walk from TSA checkpoint to the gate ... we aren't known for "people movers")   

Next, add 60 to 90 minutes for that 25 to 35 miles trip out to JFK, depending on traffic, weather, road conditions and routing with a good driver (taxi is a flat rate - no surprises & surcharges, etc.)  Getting to JFK to 10 am should be a must, even with you have "Pre" ... to speed thru, others in the lines ahead can slow you down (and, doing carry-on only or bag checking)  There is zero margins for things to go bad and getting there earlier than 10 to 10:30 am, way - way - too close for my comfort for a 11:30 JFK flight.  On our last JFK domestic with JetBlue with Pre-Check, got there 90 minutes early and still, with lines & bag drop, almost missed our flight and among the last to get to the gate, almost released our assigned seats.  

Find & book a later flight unless you are love taking chances and willing to sweat it out.  It is doable.  Easily, not so much. 

On 1/27/2020 at 12:29 PM, darin2 said:

Can this be done easily?  We are arriving back in Manhattan on Carnival Cruise on Oct. 11th, which is a Sunday.  I know they will let you off early if you have an early flight.  If we get on the road by 8am, I figure that gives us 1.5 hrs to make it to JFK ( I always like to get there two hours before departure).  Anyone have experience with this type of early flight?  Thanks

It “can be done” — but certainly not “easily”.   Unless you can be virtually certain of being “on the road by 8am”.   That 11:30 flight leaves the gate at 11:30 - meaning you should be at the gate and ready to board by 11:00 - and even on a Sunday with Pre-Chek you want to be at the airport by 9:30 at the latest.  Yes, if everything works - no problem.  

Assuming you you are flying to Atlanta, there have to be later options.

Edited by navybankerteacher