Ambulatory Accessible Stateroom (Horizon) - what is that?

Nickles76

I recently booked adjoining rooms on the Horizon for me and my family. When I checked the deck map, it says that one of the rooms is an ambulatory accessible stateroom. What is that exactly? Is it any different from regular balcony rooms?

Edited by Nickles76

54 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

So, I went to google and asked. You just took an ADA Accessible cabin away from someone who may need it.

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3850/~/ada-ambulatory-accessible-cabins-(aac)

I didn’t ask for it … this was the cabin that was assigned to me. I asked for 2 adjoining rooms and that room is what they gave me. I just asked if these rooms were any different. 

1 minute ago, Nickles76 said:

I didn’t ask for it … this was the cabin that was assigned to me. I asked for 2 adjoining rooms and that room is what they gave me. I just asked if these rooms were any different. 

Understood. Everyone is human and humans make mistakes.

But when mistakes are made and realized, it's how that mistake is corrected that tells us who we are.

I'd be calling my TA (or whomever) back and bringing this little hiccup to their attention to get this corrected.

The other alternative would be to wait, and wait, and wait,,, only to find out that your connecting ADA Accessible room has been taken away from you because it's truly needed by another customer and your left with 2 balconies that don't connect.

I have not had this type cabin on Horizon but have had it on Glory and Fascination.  The only differences I found from a regular cabin were in the bathroom.  The bathroom was larger and there was no lip on the threshold to the bathroom or the shower.  There were numerous hand rails in the shower and in the toilet area.  I think there was a pull down seat in the shower?  I did not request these cabins, they were assigned to me a few days before each sailing.   

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I've read that these are different.. Cabin space is smaller as the bathroom is larger, taking up cabin space, for wheelchair access.

I wonder if Ambulatory means they're not wheelchair accessible but have the grab bars and shower seat- basically different elements of a ADA but not fully accessible 

Yes, this is what was explained to me when I called and asked why we were assigned this type of cabin when we weren't handicapped. Now, I do not use a wheelchair, but I do not think a wheelchair would fit through this type of cabin door, or there was not enough room in the cabin for a wheelchair. A wheelchair could certainly be used in the bathroom, but that was the only area that had extra room.   

Designed for use by guests with mobility disabilities who:

• Do not require the regular use of a wheelchair, scooter, or other similar assistive devices
  • Device must be 21" or less and stored in the guest's cabin
  • Only uses an assistive device (such as a cane or walker) for traversing longer distances
  • May benefit from certain accessible features, such as grab bars to assist with balance
  • The entry doorway measures approximately 22 inches (therefore mobile device must be 21” or less), an 8 inch lip into the cabin bathroom, a 4 inch lip into the shower stall and for cabins with balconies, a 7 inch lip to the balcony.

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3850/~/ada-ambulatory-accessible-cabins-(aac)

11 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Understood. Everyone is human and humans make mistakes.

But when mistakes are made and realized, it's how that mistake is corrected that tells us who we are.

I'd be calling my TA (or whomever) back and bringing this little hiccup to their attention to get this corrected.

The other alternative would be to wait, and wait, and wait,,, only to find out that your connecting ADA Accessible room has been taken away from you because it's truly needed by another customer and your left with 2 balconies that don't connect.

I have been given handicap cabins twice when I booked a guarantee. When I was a TA many moons ago we couldn't book these cabins to folks who didn't need them till after final payment. Your post doesn't say how far out you booked. I don't know who assigned these cabins to you but I would go back to your TA, PVP.....whoever and perhaps see if there are two balcony cabins  that aren't ADA accessible you can move to?

• Like 1

Also know, that they can switch you to another cabin type - since you don't have a need for that kind of cabin. If they start getting more requests for that type of cabin, then they put able bodied people elsewhere. So if you really want adjoining rooms, you might want to be proactive, before all adjoining rooms are gone.

You might change nothing and everything holds the way it is. But there have been plenty of reports of people getting bumped out of adjoining rooms because one of them was in a accessible room.

An Ambulatory accessible cabin is NOT equip to handle a wheelchair. There are grip bars in the bathroom and other features. There's no huge difference in these cabins like a full accessible one would be.The link posted above gives a perfect and accurate description.

If they put you there, then I wouldn't worry about the possibility of being moved. Oddly enough, we were actually upgraded to an ambulatory balcony on our upcoming Horizon sailing. Didn't ask for it or for an upgrade at all. But my TA said he was contacted. Apparently the cabin we originally booked was in the middle of a big group, so they moved us. Fine with me. Also, being that my husband does use a cane sometimes, I'm not in the least worried about being moved.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

Designed for use by guests with mobility disabilities who:

• Do not require the regular use of a wheelchair, scooter, or other similar assistive devices
  • Device must be 21" or less and stored in the guest's cabin
  • Only uses an assistive device (such as a cane or walker) for traversing longer distances
  • May benefit from certain accessible features, such as grab bars to assist with balance
  • The entry doorway measures approximately 22 inches (therefore mobile device must be 21” or less), an 8 inch lip into the cabin bathroom, a 4 inch lip into the shower stall and for cabins with balconies, a 7 inch lip to the balcony.

⬆️ This ⬆️

20200129-103222.png

Located @:

✌️