Seabourn and the current issues surrounding the Corona Virus

SLSD

Seabourn Ovation has cancelled our Sri Lanka to Dubai segment. They said that its Dubai to Athens is currently "in review". Who here thinks that Seabourn Ovation's Dubai to Athens will get cancelled? Dubai is not accepting cruise ships now.

40 minutes ago, germanshep said:

Seabourn Ovation has cancelled our Sri Lanka to Dubai segment. They said that its Dubai to Athens is currently "in review". Who here thinks that Seabourn Ovation's Dubai to Athens will get cancelled? Dubai is not accepting cruise ships now.

Would seem like it, will be interesting where the Ovation will go if Dubai is not accepting ships, slow sail to the region and hope something changes?

Interesting that sailing is under review but our Encore SL to Dubai cruise was cancelled for Apr 17 sailing, which is after the Ovation would be leaving Dubai.

So what was the catalyst for the Encore cancellation, India only closed until Mar 31 at this point, Dubai unknown but we wouldn’t arrive until you left. Had SL flipped and banned embarking as well? 
Probably a combination of all those ports with uncertainty, whereas the 2nd legs have a different itinerary altogether. Intriguing but wise.

If CLIA were to ban folks over 70 it would shut down cruising.   They could also be sued for refusing passage to healthy 70+ year olds.    It would even be problematic if they were to require only those over 70 to have some type of medical certificate regarding health.   Quite a few passengers under 70 have health conditions that should negate cruise travel.

What might be more interesting coming from the CLIA would be their member's plans to deal with the COVID19 cruise ship refugees if and when situations like Princess has found itself.  It seems to be so far, CLIA members have handed the problem over to the government of the country where the ship finally lands.  Take a look at what the California Governor said yesterday - and was hinted at by the Fed's.  I don't envy any cruise line and just yesterday cancelled a cruise on Odyssey almost exclusively because the issue of what happens "...if".   A very trying time for everyone.

We are probably setting a Seabourn record, as I doubt there has been a Seabourn cruise that has had 15 days in a row without getting off the ship. The good news is we all feel safer out here than on land, with only five  more days to go before we kiss the ground in Broome. 
  Since we’ve been going in the same straight line for the past five days, I wake up to the same  scene at 615 am from my room and visit the other side at 615 pm for the sunset. 
tonight, there was a sock hop, with everyone dressed like James Dean with burger, fries and shakes for dinner. It seems everyone showed up for life’s simple things. 
given what’s going on around the world, getting off might be harder than staying at sea. 

2CDE3A98-3E32-4F0E-8C84-87465C8CAB40.jpeg

3BE66E68-643E-48E0-B9C7-22544C48A03D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Westmount - thanks for the ongoing updates.  Sounds like everyone, guests and crew, are making the best of the situation.  It great to see that and read your reports.  I suspect you all with have a heck of celebration the night before your landing in Broome!!

16 hours ago, Videopark said:

Look how simple and direct some cruise companies are doing:

"Holland America said it will offer all guests affected by the cancellations a full refund, a 50 percent future cruise credit and reimbursement of cancellation fees."

This is exactly what Seabourn needs to do if they want to avoid disgruntled customers.

17 hours ago, Videopark said:

Look how simple and direct some cruise companies are doing:

"Holland America said it will offer all guests affected by the cancellations a full refund, a 50 percent future cruise credit and reimbursement of cancellation fees."

Another poster said HAl  owns Seabourn. I thought they were all part of the Carnival umbrella. Regardless, different policies across brands  of a company doesn't make sense IMHO.

1 hour ago, westmount said:

. The good news is we all feel safer out here than on land... und in Broome. 

Given what’s going on around the world, getting off might be harder than staying at sea. 

I can see that both of these statements could be true!  Back here in the real world Mr. SLSD and I are trying to figure out how to make sure our mothers (93 and 97) do not get this virus!  It probably includes fewer and fewer visits from those of us who are out in the world.  Our plan was to escape to our isolated rural farm, but we still have responsibilities in the city.  Enjoy your time onboard!

Edited by SLSD

2 minutes ago, plane7c said:

Earlier today at a press conference in Geneva, WHO Director General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus declared coronavirus a global pandemic.  

So many people I see commenting are saying that this so called pandemic is totally media hype.  The jury is out.  The real situation will become evident in due time.  

5 hours ago, westmount said:

We are probably setting a Seabourn record, as I doubt there has been a Seabourn cruise that has had 15 days in a row without getting off the ship. The good news is we all feel safer out here than on land, with only five  more days to go before we kiss the ground in Broome. 
  Since we’ve been going in the same straight line for the past five days, I wake up to the same  scene at 615 am from my room and visit the other side at 615 pm for the sunset. 
tonight, there was a sock hop, with everyone dressed like James Dean with burger, fries and shakes for dinner. It seems everyone showed up for life’s simple things. 
given what’s going on around the world, getting off might be harder than staying at sea.

Which port was the last port that you were able to get off? Was that in Victoria, Mahe, Seychelles? 15 consecutive days at sea is a long time, longer than what most people on other cruise lines usually go on! Are you sure you will be able to land in Broome and not get turned away?

Edited by germanshep
error

We're scheduled on back to back Odyssey sailings starting 3/21 out of St. Maarten.  Not overly concerned about the Caribbean but obviously with Portugal having cases now, it will be interesting once we get across the Atlantic.  Anyone scheduled to be on Odyssey next week?

7 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

On CNBC the CLIA head implied restrictions on passengers over 70 are coming.  Also restrictions on health-challenged folks.

they are waiting for US government to sign on before announcing new measures.

I wonder how quickly this will be implemented?  We join a cruise on 3/15 and my husband is over 70.  We have to have time to get that certification so hopefully it won't be immediate.

5 hours ago, plane7c said:

Earlier today at a press conference in Geneva, WHO Director General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus declared coronavirus a global pandemic.  

Trying to recall exactly but I thought the WHO had previously said if they declare it a pandemic then it can no longer be contained. I thought when this happened it meant the end of quarantines and other isolation policies? However the news reports posted above state that there is no change in policy and in fact it reinforces the previous contaminated policies.

Who is the WHo referring to when it continually states certain members are not doing enough?

On CNBC the CLIA head implied restrictions on passengers over 70 are coming.  Also restrictions on health-challenged folks.

they are waiting for US government to sign on before announcing new measures.

I noted it also includes more restrictions on passengers from other countries. I found it interesting they mentioned Japan considering the USA has already doubled Japan in number of cases and deaths.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

President Trump just announced a 30 day travel ban from Europe (exempting the U.K.).  It will be interesting to see how Seabourn responds to those of you with cruises to Europe in the next month knowing their US passengers will not be able to fly home. 

3 minutes ago, Chairsin said:

President Trump just announced a 30 day travel ban from Europe (exempting the U.K.).  It will be interesting to see how Seabourn responds to those of you with cruises to Europe in the next month knowing their US passengers will not be able to fly home. 

Interesting, is it a 2 way ban? Does it ban flying to Europe as well? 

3 minutes ago, Chairsin said:

He did say that there would be exceptions for U. S. citizens who are properly screened (he was vague on the standard).  Still--I see it as problematic to assume you would be able to fly back to the United States.  AND, how many flights will there be?  I don't quite understand the exemption of the UK.  It seems like Europeans from any country could just plan to fly from the UK.  Am I missing something?

Evidently, Trump did not explain the new flights from Europe policy precisely.  Here is more clarification:  https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/homeland-security-acting-secretary-chad-f-wolf-s-statement-presidential-proclamation?fbclid=IwAR2us7Q9ZOEQsQbvRrOVR3JD03D-MqpXBpz_o0wtQKv0jho_wCjm5D_Fieg

From the statement, "

(WASHINGTON) Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.  "

Edited by SLSD