Hurricane Season

10 hours ago, ashley0308 said:

Thanks everyone.  We are a pretty (knock on wood) healthy family, and really if anything major happens (when it comes to illness where we can't go) the cruise would probably be the least of our worries.  I was just more making sure that if a hurricane does happen and the cruise decided to cancel then we would be ok.  The kids are excited to spend a couple of days in NYC so if we had to extend that I don't think they would mind

I was healthy too until I took a swing at a golf ball and dislocated my kneecap which caused me to fall on my ankle and break and dislocate it this past Aug.  Ankle is basically healed and knee is getting there.  Anyway, because we had insurance, we got all our money back.  Hurricane season is June 1-Nov 30 so 6 months out of the year.  Travel insurance doesn't typically cover hurricanes as the cruiselines cover those if they can't sail or there are changes.  But, we buy travel insurance in case of a medical issue or major issue with one of our elderly parents.  

The only time I've ever seen cruise lines outright cancel a cruise due to a hurricane was when the departure port was closed for days. And the ports are only closed during the hurricane and if there's any damage afterwards. Even then the cruise lines prefer to shorten the cruise. 

I would say the odds of a cruise out of Jersey being canceled is very slim - you'd need a hurricane still strong when it hits NJ. Possible but doesn't happen often at all. However you'd likely be rerouted somewhere... though being on Oasis that definitely limits the options. 

10 hours ago, Drock20J said:

Depends on the severity. They gave the OPTION for a refund, that was a lot of trouble. They gave everyone who did sail on the shortened cruise a FCC and the equivalent OBC.

So they MIGHT refund, but RCI would rather give you FCC so you can come back and spend money.

You wrote " IF royal were to cancel the cruise, they would refund you the cruise in form of Future Cruise Credit. "

Not true. They would refund credit card used to pay

17 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

Or you might get lucky like we did on the Hurricane Dorian cruise last August.  We were on a 7 day on the Harmony that turned into an 11 day cruise because the all ports were closed in Florida.

We had perfectly smooth seas, beautiful sunshine and warm weather.  Only drawback was we did have to go to Cozumel three times because of limited docking space for all the ships waiting out the storm.

One of our best cruises ever!!!  

I would have loved that but I missed it by one week 😞   We wound up taking the 100% cruise credit as soon as it was offered.  Just wasnt worth driving down to FL into a lot of uncertainty for a three night cruise.   Dorian was still predicted to make landfall around Melbourne when we cancelled.  

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Drock20J said:

Once again, I am going by my own experience, I am not trying to get into a wrestling match to say who is right and wrong.

There is not right or wrong in the case of a cruise being cancelled all together. Royal has ALWAYS refunded and in most if not all cases also gave a 25-50% credit towards a future cruise within a year