Are there any good sightseeing opportunities within walking distance of Civi port?

OnTheJourney

We're doing a Viking cruise that leaves out of Rome but there are no pre-cruise extensions offered. Not being one to opt for making independent travel arrangements in foreign countries (I'm ok if the cruise line arranges the hotels, transfers, etc.), I was wondering what we might be able to do for the better part of a day. As with most flights from the US east coast to Europe, I assume we'll arrive early in the morning and then don't sail till 11 p.m. Thanks for any suggestions.....

Edited by OnTheJourney

34 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

We're doing a Viking cruise that leaves out of Rome but there are no pre-cruise extensions offered. Not being one to opt for making independent travel arrangements in foreign countries (I'm ok if the cruise line arranges the hotels, transfers, etc.), I was wondering what we might be able to do for the better part of a day. As with most flights from the US east coast to Europe, I assume we'll arrive early in the morning and then don't sail till 11 p.m. Thanks for any suggestions.....

IMHO, there are no significant sightseeing opportunities within walking distance from the port of Civitavecchia. There is a small archaeology museum within walking distance. 

If you are arriving early morning FCO on the day of your cruise, will you be taking a cruise transfer to the port? If you are arriving a day early, why not stay in Rome (tons to see there)?

Edited by dogs4fun

There really isn't anything to do in Civitavecchia. It's a not-very-charming place that exists mainly because of its port.

Before you make up your mind what to do, I suggest doing some research and asking yourself some questions.

For example, it is generally recommended if flying to a port (and particularly if it is an intercontinental flight), you should arrive at least a day early in case of any travel hiccups.  Do you really want to fly in on the morning of your cruise departure?  Yes, you have a window of opportunity between morning and evening but if your flight is cancelled due to mechanical issues, weather, etc. there may not be available seats on other flights that day....

Second, are you going to forego seeing Rome altogether?  It is not difficult to get around the central part of the city and there are plenty of guidebooks (and lots of advice available on this forum) that can help you plan a 2-3 day stay in Rome prior to your cruise. You can book tours during the day with operators if you are not the DIY site. You will not face language issues in central Rome. Why not consider it?

Edited by cruisemom42

Good points. I quite honestly had not done too much planning on this whole thing yet. We only recently found out more of the details on this chairman's cruise that Viking has offered us (Sky guests from the rather unusual events of this past March). Typically we like to go a day or two early when traveling internationally if for no other reason than to adjust to the time zone, but also usually do it in conjunction with either a cruise line's or land tour company's offered excursion. Arriving the day of embarkation is certainly risky and not something I prefer to do. As I mentioned, we'll be in Rome again the following October (at least that's the plan) but...you're all correct...really shouldn't pass up the opportunity to do some sightseeing, especially now knowing that not much can be done from the port. Carpe diem, as it were. I'll check with Viking further on whether they might still be able to assist with hotel accommodations and transfers at the least. Thanks...

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'll check with Viking further on whether they might still be able to assist with hotel accommodations and transfers at the least.

Do you have a travel agent? A good TA can certainly assist with hotel accommodations and transfers. If you book a hotel in the Centro Storico (historical center of Rome), choices are practically unlimited in what you can easily DIY by foot.

On 2/1/2020 at 9:08 AM, OnTheJourney said:

We always book multiple days pre-cruise when cruising in Europe...and we've spent a lot of time in Rome in the past...So, we've taken to exploring other places throughout Italy when cruising out of Civitavecchia...but, then again, we are more of the independent types and I am willing to rent cars and drive in Italy (This July, for example, we are flying into Milan 9 nights ahead of the cruise and going to Lugano, Lucerne, Lauterbrunnen and the Cinque Terre...and ending up the night before embarkation in Civitavecchia)...I, typically, prefer to spend the night prior in Civitavecchia to avoid any stress or hassle the morning of the cruise.

So, when we've explored outside of Rome and near Civitavecchia, it's typically been the day or two before, not the morning of the cruise itself.

We haven't really found anything of note in Civitavecchia itself...It's a port city...and that's about it...It does have some restaurants and small hotels...and you could walk around town...But my usual preference is to just get to the ship early and relax.

There are a few places of note north of Civitavecchia...

Tarquinia (about a half an hour drive north) has some very interesting Etruscan tombs which you can climb down into...each decorated with well-preserved frescoes...

Pitigliano (about an hour and twenty minutes drive north) and Orvieto (about an hour and a half northeast) are two of my favorite hill towns--each incredibly scenic and worth a visit some time in your life...Theoretically, you could hire a private guide with a car to pick you up at FCO and take you to these places and then to the ship, but, you really won't have that much time to see them, not the sort of time they deserve.  Save them for some time when you can spend a few days in the area...

Here's a photo of Pitigliano:

Pitigliano1 (373x280).jpg

Edited by Bruin Steve

So at this point I will be looking for either a package that includes a hotel and transfers (airport / hotel / port) or other arrangements that have all that. I have no interest in renting/driving a car, or even making all the accommodation / transfers myself if I can avoid it. I'll also consult with my local travel agent since Viking has indicated they really wouldn't be able to put anything together in lieu of not offering the usual extensions. 

A single private company can handle your transportation needs from airport to hotel, hotel to port, and even take you on a tour of Rome if desired. There are several companies that have, over the years, amassed literally hundreds of positive recommendations on these boards -- just do a search for RomeInLimo and Rome Cabs on this Forum. 

For private transfers expect to pay around 55-60 euro from airport to hotel, around 120-140 from hotel to port. As for sightseeing in Rome, you would have to work that out with the company, including whether you want a driver or also a guide at certain sites.

I cannot recommend them personally as I am a do-it-yourselfer, but given your preferences I don't think you could go wrong. 

That leaves only your hotel arrangement to make. I've stayed at numerous hotels in Rome over many years. I don't know your budget, which will not stretch as far in high season, but my absolute favorite hotel is the Albergo del Senato, which sits right on the Pantheon piazza. I just stayed there for 10 days in November (very low season rates!) and it is just as good as I remembered from previous stays. 

If that is a bit too pricey, you might consider Albergo Santa Chiara which is almost as well located just behind the Pantheon. 

I have stayed at Hotel Navona and it is a very good hotel for the cost but it is definitely a city hotel -- it occupies a few floors of an old palazzo, check-in and a small lobby are not on the ground floor. The rooms are smallish but very modern and the location is excellent and quiet at night.

On 2/2/2020 at 6:02 PM, watertraveler said:

Bruin Steve ~  Have you traveled south to Anzio?  It looks to be about 2 hours away.  We had considered going there before our cruise in October to see the WWII American cemetery.  

I have not been to Anzio...

56 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have stayed at Hotel Navona and it is a very good hotel for the cost but it is definitely a city hotel -- it occupies a few floors of an old palazzo, check-in and a small lobby are not on the ground floor. The rooms are smallish but very modern and the location is excellent and quiet at night.

Thanks for all that. I've found that many hotels also offer the transfers, so to make things simple think we'll just do it that way. Funny you mention the Navona - it was one of those that I came across this evening. I also found the Barocco which gets great reviews, so we'll make this work. At most we'll probably only add 2-3 days before the cruise since the entire trip is already close to 3 weeks - about as long as I prefer to be away for just about any sort of travel. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Another company that might be able to arrange something to fit your needs is NCC...We're using them this next visit just for transportation from the ship to our Rome hotel and from the hotel to FCO Airport...But, on one previous visit, we used them, along with 6 ship mates, to pick us up from the ship, take us on a tour of Rome, then drop us off at our Rome hotel and take the other six back to the ship for the second half of a back-to-back cruise.

I note that, on their website, they do offer a tour of Rome with pick-up at FCO and drop-off at the ship...

http://www.nccplus.it/programs-view/pre-cruise-tour-of-rome-from-airport/

And, I am guessing that, at the right price, they can customize something different for you as well.

Here's another option found on TripAdvisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g656615-d18756541-Pre_Cruise_Tour_Country_Side_from_FCO_Airport_to_Civitavecchia_Port_of_Rome-Fiumic.html

A problem you are going to have with multi-day group tours is that they generally are designed to go from FCO and back to FCO...and not to end in Civitavecchia...Only ones that seem to do that are as above.  And most are designed to tour Italy's main tourist cities--Rome, Florence, Venice, etc.  So, for the most part. if you want something that, say, avoids Rome (because you have a later visit there already planned) and delivers you to the port, it's probably going to be a custom designed private tour--just for you...and, therefore, will be quite pricey.  If you are willing to pay the price, there are a number of providers who will put something together for you.

I, on the other hand, have always had little problem designing my own pre-cruise and post-cruise tours.  It is really not all that hard to, for example, book a ride from FCO to Orvieto...or Tivoli...or other nearby towns worth visiting, book a hotel in one of those towns...have the hotel arrange taxis to sites (Villa Adriana from Tivoli, for example) and transportation from there to the port.  I understand you feel more comfortable having the cruise line put everything into a neat package for you...but, as you've discovered, it's not always among the offerings...So, I'll suggest this:

Contact a shuttle, limo or van company (such as NCC) and get a quote on a ride from FCO to Tivoli  and Tivoli to Civitvecchia (It could be done by train, but it sounds as though you would prefer door-to-door service)...Book a nice hotel in Tivoli for two or three nights.  We stayed in this one:

http://www.catillo-tivoli.it/en/

Absolutely marvelous...

Go tour the Villa Adriana, the Villa d'Este and Villa Gregorian and Temple of Vesta...Enjoy the nice town (just east of Rome)...

Then you would have had a nice two or three days to decompress, you would have all of your transportation and hotel booked ahead of time.  You wouldn't be on anyone else's schedule.  And you'll save Rome itself for your next visit.  Trust me...it may be easier and more relaxing than a ship tour.

Edited by Bruin Steve

• 2 weeks later...