Nieuw Statendam 2Feb leaving ship

pilot

My last two Caribbean cruises were on Kdam, and both of them had delays. It wasn't because of baggage, it was because of slow processing of passengers. When the lines for immigration/customs got so long that it would take an hour to get through, disembarkation was stopped for about a half hour. I don't know if it was the port's decision or HAL's. but someone figured people would be better off sitting on the ship than standing in the terminal. I think our stoppage last time was from 8:30 to 9:00.

10 hours ago, Himself said:

It was a lot easier until about eight years ago.

The ships are bigger now, carry more guests. They need more officials   so   there can be more lines being processed  at  the same time.  HAL has nothing to do with how many Officials are assigned to clear  their ships ...  oR    how many other ships    are in  FLL same  day.   Sorry it was so  slow for you but thanks for  letting us know.

When Ft Lauderdale cut back on the number of immigration officials a few years ago, that is when problems began getting off the ship.

Also Saturdays and Sundays are big ship days there.  Sometimes there have been 8 ships there and with fewer officials it takes a lot longer to get the passengers off the ships and through immigration. 

• Like 1

My last three disembarkations in Port Everglades (June, July and December from Celebrity's Terminal 25) have been the easiest ever. They're using facial recognition and we just walked straight through without delay. Later this year, we are coming back to HAL after an 8 year break. It sounds like returning might mean back to the long lines. I hope not.

They made announcement that they had to move ship into a slightly different position at the dock (think it was only 12 meters; things seemed to move pretty fast once they started after the delay.  Also no customs since it was done in Key West!