Specialty Dining Package - when/where/how best to purchase

Weenah

I do my best to "assimilate" to the culture of online forums by lurking and making wise use of the search feature before asking questions. However, I haven't seen anyone mention this in the past few months (or I just missed it). I do know how to use the search function but admittedly don't know which parameters to search with on my query.

I'm aware I can purchase the Specialty Dining Package for Y nights in the cruise planner. But I was curious if this is the best place to do it based on things I've learned by lurking. eg: I know there are passengers that upgrade to the premium beverage package while on board with a bartender. This will often curry favor with the bartender because a little something extra goes in their pockets. Assuming the price is the same in the cruise planner as well as on board, are any of you aware if directly purchasing a Specialty Dining Package with a crew member will help out the fine folks who take care of us in the way of a few extra dollars in their wallets? Note I'm aware passengers can often find discounts at the specialty dining restaurants while on board.

Thanks in advance.

If we buy a dining package we do so pre-cruise for a number of reasons:

1.on some sailing the 3 & 4 night packages have sold out-not always the case but disappointing when it happens,

2. we like to spread the cost out so we purchase & pay months before the cruise

3.  We lock in the price. We bought a 3 night package months before our Edge Cruise a few months later they increased the price by $20pp.

I don’t know whether the staff selling dining packages on the ship get any extra for the packages they sell but presume they do.  We do often upgrade the beverage package onboard and we do that with a bartender at the bar we plan to frequent often.  With the dining package it is less likely you would have that person who sold you the package as your server. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jelayne said:

If we buy a dining package we do so pre-cruise for a number of reasons:

1.on some sailing the 3 & 4 night packages have sold out-not always the case but disappointing when it happens,

2. we like to spread the cost out so we purchase & pay months before the cruise

3.  We lock in the price. We bought a 3 night package months before our Edge Cruise a few months later they increased the price by $20pp.

I don’t know whether the staff selling dining packages on the ship get any extra for the packages they sell but presume they do.  We do often upgrade the beverage package onboard and we do that with a bartender at the bar we plan to frequent often.  With the dining package it is less likely you would have that person who sold you the package as your server. 

All great points and thank you for the guidance.

Full transparency, we're on the fence about purchasing before setting sail mostly because we've never been on a cruise and have no idea if the MDR will be to our liking. I've stated in previous threads we're not food snobs and as long as the food doesn't suck we'll be fine. But the ambiance and atmosphere of the MDR vs specialty may be important to us; we'll find out. Depending on the time one goes to the MDR we're aware it can be a little crazy.

If the cost does go up while on board we likely wouldn't purchase the package as we figure we can likely get discounts on a per-night basis. If your presumption is correct that whomever we purchased the package from while on board gets a few dollars that'd be great. To your point that it'd be unlikely the person we bought it from would be our waiter, assistant waiter, et al, I'm curious if anyone knows if it's possible to purchase the package from a bartender that I would frequent often.

i find the 'best to purchase' depends on what you want and how long your cruise is.

A) if you're a gambler (like i am), dont care if you dont eat at a speciality restaurant or on a 7-9 day cruise:

1) pre-buy the 1st night dinner

it's usually cheaper than what's offered onboard. USUALLY. on my last cruise a few months ago, i got 50% off Le Petite Chef (old version) for first night when i came onboard.

2) walk around public areas during the day and find restaurant people trying to sell reservations to speciality restaurants.

- sometimes the discount is more than the dining package, sometimes the discount is less than the dining package, and sometimes there is NO discount for that particular restaurant you want.

- If the discount isnt more than the dining package, i just walk away and try again the next day. rinse/repeat. (i find it fun to find the best bargain especially if there's nothing else i want to do on the ship during that time.)

3) i've come away with eating at NONE of the specialty restaurants because the discount wasnt greater than the dining package for the whole cruise

B) if you really want to eat at specialty restaurants and your cruise is 10+ days:

1) buy the 4 meal plan and optionally, pre-buy the first night plan for 5 diners total

the discount of the 3 meal plan is SMALL and makes getting the 4 meal plan a no brainer.

Weenah

We like the specialties and always eat in all of them on a cruise; to us it's just part of the entire cruise experience.

On our upcoming cruise we bought the package for all the nights.  We booked the time and restaurant for the first night, and as soon as we board we'll set the restaurant and times for the others.   Often we take a suite, but this time we're in a regular cabin and are eating every night in specialties.  Still came out way ahead $$$ wise.  We got all 4 perks so it looks like it'll be a pretty sweet cruise.  We might do this from now on.  

fstuff1,

" USUALLY. on my last cruise a few months ago, i got 50% off Le Petite Chef (old version) for first night when i came onboard".  I'm curious--How did you get the 50% off?  Was the discount advertised on the daily newsletter? 

The last time I checked, a 3-N dining package is for $137; at $55 a pop, there's a saving of $28 right there.  I think that alone is an incentive to pre-book. 

Thanks. 

4 hours ago, outandabout said:

fstuff1,

" USUALLY. on my last cruise a few months ago, i got 50% off Le Petite Chef (old version) for first night when i came onboard".  I'm curious--How did you get the 50% off?  Was the discount advertised on the daily newsletter? 

The last time I checked, a 3-N dining package is for $137; at $55 a pop, there's a saving of $28 right there.  I think that alone is an incentive to pre-book. 

Thanks. 

I had pre purchased the meal pkg last cruise but decided to cxl a couple weeks before.  I ended up buying dinner first night online for the 33% At the LCG, reflection, discount and then bargained with the people selling the pkgs thruout the cruise. It was an 11 night one and got anywhere from 40-50% off doing it this way in the other nights I ate in them.  Yes had to compensate not always the ideal time but I’m on a cruise where do I really have to be?   Plus all you can do is ask, if don’t like the price or they don’t take your offer walk away.  The food I found really good to outstanding in mdr and overview cafe for dinners. 

Since this is your first cruise I think you should wait and try the included dining venues before buying a dinner package. You may be quite happy with the included dining.  We cruise often and usually only have one dinner and one lunch in specialty restaurants.

On 2/2/2020 at 1:32 PM, Weenah said:

All great points and thank you for the guidance.

Full transparency, we're on the fence about purchasing before setting sail mostly because we've never been on a cruise and have no idea if the MDR will be to our liking. I've stated in previous threads we're not food snobs and as long as the food doesn't suck we'll be fine. But the ambiance and atmosphere of the MDR vs specialty may be important to us; we'll find out. Depending on the time one goes to the MDR we're aware it can be a little crazy.

If the cost does go up while on board we likely wouldn't purchase the package as we figure we can likely get discounts on a per-night basis. If your presumption is correct that whomever we purchased the package from while on board gets a few dollars that'd be great. To your point that it'd be unlikely the person we bought it from would be our waiter, assistant waiter, et al, I'm curious if anyone knows if it's possible to purchase the package from a bartender that I would frequent often.

" we've never been on a cruise and have no idea if the MDR will be to our liking. "

Suggestion : 

For some of the ships ( S Class ??? ) there is an app that you can download and view the daily dinner menu for each day on the cruise . I believe the menu is the same on every ship . Try the Reflection's app as a guide.

As a matter of fact, because it is soooo cold here today, I am going to do that for our upcoming cruise in March.

9 hours ago, outandabout said:

fstuff1,

Thanks. 

not advertised. just walked onboard, saw restaurant workers trying to get people to rsvp and i asked if there was a discount.

right off the bat he said 50% off at Le Petite Chef but for tonite only. SOLD!

as for the 3meal package, you can usually get $35 from the restaurant people trying to get passengers to rsvp.

that is  much better than the 3 meal price. but it's a gamble because if the restaurant you want is near full, they won't be able to offer a discount.

also, some restaurants are only $45 for normal price so that 3meal package isnt saving you any for those.

Edited by fstuff1

4 hours ago, bikerunner said:

I had pre purchased the meal pkg last cruise but decided to cxl a couple weeks before.  I ended up buying dinner first night online for the 33% At the LCG, reflection, discount and then bargained with the people selling the pkgs thruout the cruise.

It was an 11 night one and got anywhere from 40-50% off doing it this way in the other nights I ate in them.

what restaurants regularly offered 40-50% off?

26 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

what restaurants regularly offered 40-50% off?

None ever offered it I asked And one time said okay others walked away. Then they sometimes rounded back to me.  But I got lcg  Tuscan  both at 50%   I got Murano late at 40% off one day.   Didn’t care about le petit chef. And able to get an all you can eat at sushi  for 25.    As said times were not great.  

7 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

None ever offered it I asked And one time said okay others walked away. Then they sometimes rounded back to me.  But I got lcg  Tuscan  both at 50%   I got Murano late at 40% off one day.   Didn’t care about le petit chef.

And able to get an all you can eat at sushi  for 25.    As said times were not great.  

what did you ask for?

50% everytime and walked if they couldnt?

And how did you get $25 for the sushi place?

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

what did you ask for?

50% everytime and walked if they couldnt?

And how did you get $25 for the sushi place?

Yep.  Just asked  50% was my starting number.  I was fine walking away.  To me the restaurants are great but I was fine eating in Mdr too. Of course I didn’t get it every night.  But what can it hurt to ask.  I been on enough celebrity cruises, 2-3 to Elite plus that I know the drill.  I didn’t get the ideal times, I was fine going in when they opened or late seating. I just adjusted the day accordingly.