Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Capeviewer

6 hours ago, Portybelly said:

Yeah, Cheers NCL! Thanks for cancelling the cruise completely, rather than just giving the 'cancel free of charge' option allowing all the worriers to get their cash back and let the rest of us with a sense of perspective who accept the small risks, head to Thailand or wherever and enjoy the ship and whatever exotic places we end up🤦😤. Thanks for giving in to the pitchforks and torches brigade...

It's okay to troll me on cruise critic, but please don't mischaracterize what has happened here, to me or the fellow guests on this voyage. 

At no point was I worried about catching COVID-19. I was panicked that we'd get to Singapore and NCL would pull the rug out from under us. For many of my fellow passengers, this is exactly what happened.

We have travel insurance, so a return flight would have been fully covered. And I like sea days (we've done the QM2 crossing before).

The real issue was how this was rolled out: Imagine spending hours on the phone with your airline attempting to find and change flights from Hong Kong to Singapore less than a week before departure. Packing, heading to the airport, and spending 30 hours in transit to Singapore, only to find out that after weeks of hemming and hawing, NCL did exactly what every other line had the foresight to do weeks ago and canceled the voyage in this case three days before departure. 

I had the prescience to book another vacation that I could cancel if we actually boarded the Jade. It appears now I'll be taking my pitchforks and torches to Asia, just not with NCL. 

• Like 7

My family and I were supposed to board Norwegian Jade on 2/6 from Toronto. We booked this trip a 1.5 year in advance....the purpose of this trip was to visit my grandparents in Hong Kong because I recently got married and they have never met my husband. I also haven't been back in 20 years, so it was a very big trip for my family and I.

On 1/31 my husband wasn't feeling well and was advised by the doctor he had flu-like systems and should not be travelling, and my parents are also cancer survivors and over the age of 63.We contacted NCL many times regarding our trip, and with the Coronavirus Panedemic, we decided not to go even if it meant we had to choose between our money and the health of our family and the health of other passengers.

On 2/8 NCL updated their policy to the below:

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/travel-alert/coronavirus

• Guests who have travelled from, visited or transited via airports in China, including Hong Kong and Macau, within 30 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality, will not be allowed to board any of our vessels. The standard incubation period recognized by the WHO and U.S. CDC for this virus is 14 days.
    • Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund when they provide proof of travel

My family would have been traveling from YYZ-HKG-SIN....which based on the following communication from NCL....we would have been kicked off on 02/07. Although we didn't actually board, NCL took ALL of our money, so we should be able to get ALL of it back just based on this alone.

image.thumb.png.613e9426458bf623314e2b8000a4ac91.png

NCL has by far the worst customer service, including the VP of Guest Relations who was extremely condescending to me. 

I cannot wait until those 110 passengers who were disembarked return home, because this entire thing will be a PR nightmare.

The Jade Norwegian should have never set sail to begin with.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PhilBenz said:

Wait, I don't understand. How can you hope to travel to any foreign country without a passport? Seems like a must-have item to me. Guests who are just boarding for the day to attend a wedding are a different story. If NCL is springing a last-minute regulation like that without prior notice, that's another strike against them, IMHO.

I'm sorry if my description wasn't clear.

You can travel to a foreign port with just a birth certificate and drivers license, as long as the cruise begins and ends at the same US port (closed loop).  That has been the policy for as long as I can remember, and hasn't changed.

My friends planned to have their wedding on NCL Gem (out of New York) 18 months ago and have 50 guests scheduled to go onboard just for the wedding, and an additional 25 that are staying onboard for the cruise.  23 days before the wedding, NCL changed the policy to require that non-sailing guests have a passport and they are refusing to offer a full refund even though it is their change of policy that is causing the cancellation.

After reading stories on this and other threads, I am even more appalled by NCL's apparent disregard for their paying customers.  I cruise often (typically 1-3 times per year) and NCL's attitude is confirming that NCL is not the right line for me. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

Bingo!

NCL isn't playing chicken... You need to understand that cruise lines themselves have loss insurance. If they can't offer an itinerary or all the ports close they can refund all the customers and file a claim with THEIR insurance. But it needs to fit the terms for them to do so. Just in the same way you have terms and conditions on how you get refunded for travel insurance, these cruise lines have the same with business insurance...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Portybelly said:

Yeah, Cheers NCL! Thanks for cancelling the cruise completely, rather than just giving the 'cancel free of charge' option allowing all the worriers to get their cash back and let the rest of us with a sense of perspective who accept the small risks, head to Thailand or wherever and enjoy the ship and whatever exotic places we end up🤦😤. Thanks for giving in to the pitchforks and torches brigade...

I was one of the people holding the pitchforks and torches.  But I have always said that I wanted NCL to give each of us the option to cancel.  I would have been very happy if they just gave me the option to get 100% FCC.  And I would think that most people here would feel the same.  As long as I have the option to get out of something that I feel is not safe, I don't want to take away other people's choice.  So I agree with you to a certain extent.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sskc said:

• Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund when they provide proof of travel

if you are denied boarding they have to have proof of where you were in order to deny you. so they already have the proof 🙂 right? 

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

if you are denied boarding they have to have proof of where you were in order to deny you. so they already have the proof 🙂 right? 

My family did not decide to sail on Feb 6, so no I was not denied by boarding, however if I traveled 20+ hours to get to Singapore, I would have. Either way we paid our fare......regardless if we were physically on the ship or not, we should still get a refund.

If we had went there would be more expenses made that NCL would have to cover for disembarking us

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

This story made it on YouTube, Don's Family Vacations. He is not a huge NCL fan to begin with. But he basically blasts their customer service beginning at the five minute mark. Love it! Well done, Don.

Yep; I just watched this. It's great to watch the video, but Don literally reports on anything cruise-related. If a drink was spilled on the pool-deck, he would 'report' on it. Socially media is great but Don's opinion is not the end-all-be-all.

Not related to Don but... :Anyone can post a video on YouTube; it doesn't make them smart or insightful. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lou33 said:

Here's the petition that the passengers on the Feb 6 Jade cruise are presenting to NCL.  They are demanding a 100% refund.   So far they have over 600 signatures.  

image.thumb.png.563a3fed551fb84304df77d4b7113f6b.png

Thank you so much for sharing this! How did you find this? Do you have any idea how to get in touch with those who signed this petition? Please let me know!

A 83 years old US passenger that finally disembarked the Westerdam in Cambodia after being at sea for 2+ weeks, is said now to be tested positive for VOCID-19 per the Malaysia Health Ministry.  Her 85 years old husband tested negative - flew (most likely by charter air) to Malaysia with 144 fellow passengers after disembarking from the ship (news reported within the hour by the South China Morning Post, HK) - link is here https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/southeast-asia/article/3050814/coronavirus-us-passenger-westerdam-cruise-ship-infected

Also - https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2020/02/15/us-woman-from-cruise-ship-is-latest-covid-19-victim/?fbclid=IwAR1SZa35J_lzQOupNZ_3lAWwKcNvKIEQreuJ2vn1rc4cbwpYnjcCIjrxxaA

This story is unfolding about the highly contagious (airborne & droplets, not just direct contact or fluid) virus - itself not necessary highly deadly, many had since recovered with prompt supportive clinical care & intervention.  This info is strictly FYI and not intended to stir up more emotions & fear, simply raised more questions, while the situations on the Diamond Princess quarantined in Japan continued to unfold.   

NCL, are you paying attention !  Banning would be ship passengers holding "Chinese" passports issued alone, isn't sufficient and enough.  THINK thru carefully your policies and measures, again. 

Meanwhile, a 4th death outside mainland China reported in France, a 80 years old Chinese tourists from Hubei, China that arrived there last month & hospitalized in isolation since Jan. 25th. as conditions worsen, passed on Feb. 14 from lung infection.  Link - https://www.scmp.com/news/world/europe/article/3050802/coronavirus-infected-chinese-tourist-france-dies-europes-first  (This is also on CNN News ... patient's daughter also tested positive but said to being treated & recovering well under isolation care.) 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Wndwlkr3 said:

Check on the 6 Feb NCL Jade Facebook page

Could you paste the URL please? I for one would sign it but will NEVER join Facebook. Do you think those of us who made a decision of our health comes first and did not board should sign?

4 minutes ago, Newbie1313 said:

Could you paste the URL please? I for one would sign it but will NEVER join Facebook. Do you think those of us who made a decision of our health comes first and did not board should sign?

Same I also do not have it. If we don’t or cannot sign I propose we try to gather more people to create another petition. I reached out to the gentleman who left his email on that post About the petition (he had his email on the letter).... waiting to hear back from him

3 minutes ago, sskc said:

Same I also do not have it. If we don’t or cannot sign I propose we try to gather more people to create another petition. I reached out to the gentleman who left his email on that post About the petition (he had his email on the letter).... waiting to hear back from him

I think this may be the best bet....the petition was generated onboard and was being signed by those currently on the Jade. There was a photo of it posted on Facebook so I think that SSKC's email to the gentleman who has generated the petition may be the best method of finding out how to access and become involved....the posting on Facebook was really information only and since the document is live it may be necessary to amend and adjust its "aliveness" for others to access???? Not sure, but seems like the lines of communication are there!

10 minutes ago, Wndwlkr3 said:

I think this may be the best bet....the petition was generated onboard and was being signed by those currently on the Jade. There was a photo of it posted on Facebook so I think that SSKC's email to the gentleman who has generated the petition may be the best method of finding out how to access and become involved....the posting on Facebook was really information only and since the document is live it may be necessary to amend and adjust its "aliveness" for others to access???? Not sure, but seems like the lines of communication are there!

I can keep you posted, I can use my husbands Facebook to check out that Facebook page in the meantime and see if there is anything there to help out 

31 minutes ago, Wndwlkr3 said:

this is what Norwegian just sent to me because I didn’t actually BOARD the plane 

however they accepted 100% of the money for me not to be there

0D6C8AE2-6014-490C-A18C-6FA6C8F0DC45.jpeg

sskc....I understand and see your point; I do not know what to say at this point....other than to keep all your documentation as well as records of emails, phone calls etc....not sure about insurances as many are saying they will not pay for this circumstance; did you have insurance? what, if so, does it say?  There is a much bigger picture out there, many other affected in the same way as your were....it may be worth checking on some of the other boards as well as this one to see who also is in similar situation and band together as well....the petition they are writing on the Jade is, as I understand, addressing the concerns of those who are currently onboard...but, as already state, there are many, many people in your similar situation so perhaps there is something that can be done from that position as well.....I don't know; but if you don't try you already know what your answer will be....so sad this is....it has affected soooo many people all over the world....who would think, eh?  Best to you and your family; and all the others as well....it is truly a difficult and new situation for all of us!

2 hours ago, sskc said:

I can keep you posted, I can use my husbands Facebook to check out that Facebook page in the meantime and see if there is anything there to help out 

There is a photo copy of the petition on this. Oats, post #865. Maybe that will help you get connected