Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Capeviewer

I bet that the Jade, currently in Port Klang, Malaysia, is busily scrubbing the whole ship down and rotating crew. They might even change their port of embarkation. I'm sure they are eager to put the controversy of the 17 Feb sailing behind them.

Will they cancel the 27 Feb sailing? Unlikely.

Edited by PhilBenz

I submitted my flight change claim to NCL this morning, reminding them that when they told us to change our flights from Hong Kong to Singapore, they confirmed they would pay any "reasonable" flight change fees incurred. Many passengers changed flights solely based on this assurance from the cruise line.

It appears that now they are only going to pay $300 per person for flight changes, based on their second communication after the cruise was canceled. It cost us $567 per person to change the flights initially, meaning we're over $530 in the hole because we did exactly what NCL told us to do, and assured us we would be covered for. 

This has crossed a line from "poor customer service" to blatant lies. If this isn't illegal, it's certainly underhanded, deceitful, and duplicitous. It boggles my mind that a company would do this to passengers in these circumstances.

For Cruise Critic - Norwegian Jade Voyage of 2172020 copy.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

This has crossed a line from "poor customer service" to blatant lies. If this isn't illegal, it's certainly underhanded, deceitful, and duplicitous. It boggles my mind that a company would do this to passengers in these circumstances.

This is absolutely not ok

• Like 1

Sadly, you are entirely at the mercy of NCL's estimation of your "reasonable" expenses, since there is no yardstick for the word "reasonable". But don't forget, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Complain until you are blue in the face, and take all you can get. Don't hesitate to contact press outlets if their offer is distinctly underwhelming.

This said, only do all that if you have lots of time on your hands. You might just have to accept the loss.

8 minutes ago, PhilBenz said:

Sadly, you are entirely at the mercy of NCL's estimation of your "reasonable" expenses, since there is no yardstick for the word "reasonable". But don't forget, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Complain until you are blue in the face, and take all you can get. Don't hesitate to contact press outlets if their offer is distinctly underwhelming.

This said, only do all that if you have lots of time on your hands. You might just have to accept the loss.

The worst part is that multiple people on this voyage called NCL for clarification on "reasonable," and the call center's explanation was "as long as you're changing flights from economy to economy, we'll cover it." Everyone changes their flights (for more than $300 since we're all around a week out from departure) and then NCL cancels the voyage several days later and comes up with a new $300 max. 

I'm going to contact the AGs offices in both Florida and New York... this is completely insane. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

The worst part is that multiple people on this voyage called NCL for clarification on "reasonable," and the call center's explanation was "as long as you're changing flights from economy to economy, we'll cover it."

Actually, that could be a good sign. Make your request in good faith and quote the above, clearly. Perhaps NCL will surprise us and do the right thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhilBenz said:

Perhaps NCL will surprise us and do the right thing.

I assume you're being sarcastic? If not, I appreciate your optimistic perspective!

When I made my claim to NCL, I outlined all of this, and they responded with the $600 max offer. I'll certainly attempt one more time, but at no point in this process have they done the right thing, and I don't want to fill up cruise critic with further bemoaning about how poorly they've treated us. I've talked to other cruisers who are out thousands in cancelation fees and last minute flight changes, so I probably shouldn't gripe any further.

This whole experience just speaks to NCL's complete disregard for the passengers, who've been forced to jump through hoops for the last two weeks, only to have the line wash their hands of us after the fact. 

• Like 4

Here is the latest problem from a cruise ship related to the virus.  From a Washington Post article:

Tracking down Westerdam passengers

Another cruise liner, the Westerdam, owned by Holland America Line, is at the center of a coronavirus-related investigation.

Hundreds of passengers have flown home, mostly through Thailand or Malaysia, after the ship docked in the Cambodian port of Sihanoukville and Cambodian health authorities deemed it coronavirus-free.

But an American woman has since tested positive for the virus, setting off a scramble to trace the infection.

Holland America Line said Monday that it was working closely with government and health officials in Malaysia and Cambodia, as well as experts from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization, to try to trace people who may have been exposed to the virus.

An 83-year-old American woman who disembarked from the ship at Sihanoukville on Friday took a charter flight to Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, along with 145 other passengers. They had all passed health checks by Cambodian authorities and cleared to leave the ship and travel onward.

When the woman arrived in Kuala Lumpur, she reported not feeling well and tested positive for the virus. Malaysian authorities say she is in stable condition.

Her traveling companion tested negative, and none of the other passengers or crew members reported symptoms, the company said in the statement.

The Westerdam on Monday remained in Sihanoukville, where it had docked last week after spending two weeks at sea. Authorities in Japan, Taiwan, Guam, the Philippines and Thailand had turned it away after seeing what had happened with the Diamond Princess, where the number of infections had grown rapidly even while the vessel and its passengers were supposed to be quarantined.

Cambodia’s strongman prime minister, Hun Sen, who has vowed not to do anything to anger China and even wanted to visit Wuhan, said his country would take the ship, which had been deemed virus-free.

The U.S. ambassador to Cambodia, W. Patrick Murphy, visited the cruise ship while it was in port and posted photos on Twitter of him and his family with American passengers.

• Like 2

For anyone who has been following David Able from the Diamond Princess on Facebook.

It has just been reported on the BBC news in the last few minutes that David and Sally Able have tested positive to the virus.

David has posted on his page confirming this and is awaiting transport to medical facilities.

So awful what is happening on this ship.

DA.JPG.12695f8bbcb4185fe0308a4e7749d4cd.JPG

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I assume you're being sarcastic? If not, I appreciate your optimistic perspective!

When I made my claim to NCL, I outlined all of this, and they responded with the $600 max offer. I'll certainly attempt one more time, but at no point in this process have they done the right thing, and I don't want to fill up cruise critic with further bemoaning about how poorly they've treated us. I've talked to other cruisers who are out thousands in cancelation fees and last minute flight changes, so I probably shouldn't gripe any further.

This whole experience just speaks to NCL's complete disregard for the passengers, who've been forced to jump through hoops for the last two weeks, only to have the line wash their hands of us after the fact. 

You're well entitled to gripe imo. 

I really hope you all get this sorted out. I'm pretty disgusted at how this has been handled. 

21 hours ago, PhilBenz said:

I bet that the Jade, currently in Port Klang, Malaysia, is busily scrubbing the whole ship down and rotating crew. They might even change their port of embarkation. I'm sure they are eager to put the controversy of the 17 Feb sailing behind them.

Will they cancel the 27 Feb sailing? Unlikely.

Cancel?  Probably not. After all, they have to get the ship to Dubai one way or another.  However, the other option you mentioned is what concerns me the most: changing the port of embarkation.  And not doing so until just a few days before the 27th.  We're scheduled to fly to Singapore in two days and I'm afraid that once there, NCL will inform me that I'll need to fly somewhere else to board the ship.

And as others have stated, the most aggravating thing is that NCL won't communicate what their plans are.  They are just parroting over and over that the cruise is going forward as planned.  Of course, that's exactly what they told the passengers booked on the Feb 17th cruise as well.  At the very least, they could tell us what they're doing in Port Klang and what their plans are until the 27th.  Even a simple statement such as yours, that they're scrubbing the ship down and rotating the crew with plans to be back in Singapore on the 27th would help to assuage some fears. But no, we get no comment or info about the current status of the Jade at all.

• Like 1

Daily Mail Headline:

Deadly coronavirus 'kills 15 PER CENT of patients over 80' and the never-before-seen strain is 'up to 20 TIMES more infectious than SARS'

Another:

Locked in a coronavirus breeding ground: Cruise quarantine put hundreds of vulnerable people in the perfect environment for contamination and left the ship with more cases than the whole world outside China

Text:

At least 542 people on the cruise ship have now been diagnosed with the virus, called SARS-CoV-2
There are more patients from the ship than all countries combined without China, figures have revealed
Countries, including the US and UK, are beginning to evacuate their citizens after the 'failed' quarantine 
The virus has now infected more than 73,000 people, most in China, and killed 1,873

I was reading part of an article in Nature the other day. It was written in 2013 by Chinese researchers. Based on that, and other articles I have read I believe that the Chinese have known about this, or viruses very much like it for a long time. They know all about it. Everything.

Look at what they are doing. Think about what we are being told, and what our governments are doing, compared to what they are doing over there. 

Make wise choices.

For those of you that are keeping up with David and Sally Abel.  They've sent an update and things are getting a little better for them.

David Abel
19 mins · 

From the REAL David Abel 🙂

Sally & I packed and waited 8 hours in the cabin to be transported to a hostel. We are still on the ship!

They do NOT send folk with the virus to a hostel!

Massive communication error yesterday. The Japanese quarantine officials to not speak any English. They came to our door & told us to be ready to be taken to the hostel. My mindset was ‘virus’ and said ‘positive then’. He nodded.

I don’t think he was saying yes to the virus but positive we were moving out??

He followed up by saying it will probably be just 4 or 5 days. You would not say that to a virus victim.

The consulate in Tokyo are being very good with me. I am being listened to and Sally & I feel really well.

I will get more info out when I know what’s happening. Thank you for your love and concern.

Sally & David xx

• Like 3

On 2/17/2020 at 1:12 PM, AstoriaPreppy said:

The worst part is that multiple people on this voyage called NCL for clarification on "reasonable," and the call center's explanation was "as long as you're changing flights from economy to economy, we'll cover it." 

I got a completely different answer. They told me that they would determine how much they would reimburse me after I submitted my receipts after the cruise was done. So they wouldn’t commit any amount to me. It’s amazing how inconsistent they are and how horrible they handled this entire situation 

• Like 1

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line, thank you very much for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice.

Due to growing concerns regarding coronavirus in Asia, we are forced to cancel the Norwegian Jade sailing on February 27, 2020 from Singapore. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

All guests currently booked on this sailing will receive a full refund that will be processed automatically to the form of payment provided at the time of booking. In addition, and as a goodwill gesture, you will receive a future cruise credit worth 25% towards your next cruise. This credit can be applied towards any of our currently published 2020 sailings. 

Furthermore, we will cover up to USD $300 per person for any airfare penalties or change fees associated. All receipts should be submitted at www.ncl.com/case-submission.

If you are interested in another sailing, please contact your travel professional or contact Norwegian Cruise Line at 1.866.234.7350. For any guests booked outside of the U.S. or Canada, please visit www.ncl.com for our local contact information.

We greatly appreciate your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the very near future.

Shouldn't NCL be reimbursing people more than $300 given that they most likely would be flying specifically for the cruise? Also, what if people aren't comfortable cruising this year? They should extend the credit.

Is anyone else as a result cancelling/considering postponing a domestic cruise?