HAL in Antarctica

HAL Sailer

Rick - Go for one of those last 2 listed cruises to Antarctica - because there likely will be no more except on the very expensive expedition ships.

HAL online consultants are hardly likely to know about the Polar Code.  Some cruise line managers were scheduling there ships down there in 2020 - they know nothing about it either.

It seems pretty clear that the large cruise ships will no longer be doing the drive-by cruises as they will fail to reach the required standards.   One of the requirements of the standard in particular is a full immersion suit for every passenger.  Imagine the cost to the companies of that alone when they are trying to cut costs in every way they can?

I have chosen to do the drive by on Westerdam,  Nov 27  2020 departure from Santiago.

Reasons:
1)  Despite being a polar historian, and desperately keen to go to Antarctica, my physical ailments mean that I would have great difficulty getting in and out of zodiac boats, which is what most of the expedition ships use for landings.  

2) While I am happy on sea days of a cruise, my husband tends to go a bit stir crazy.   So we have booked with a large Sky & Telescope group on this cruise.  This offers a full program of astronomy and science seminars on sea days which will be of great interest to both of us.  This cruise has the huge added bonus of a Total Solar Eclipse on December 14, which is why this group is going.  Like even getting to Antarctica,  this activity could be a total wipeout subject to the weather,  but a ship offers considerably more flexibility in situation in the eclipse zone than a land based tour.    Those of you on mainland USA had an opportunity to see a TSE a couple of years ago, hope you took advantage of it.  We saw it in Madras, Oregon.   This next one will hopefully be our 6th TSE.   If you have never seen a Solar Eclipse, it is one of the MOST AWESOME SIGHTS OF NATURE,  and you should definitely consider it.

3)  The part of the season for visiting Antarctica had no bearing on our decision,  due to the eclipse date.

4)  The part of Antarctica that I really really, really want to go to is either Commonwealth Bay (Mawson's Huts)  first choice, or McMurdo Sound (Scott and Shackleton's huts) second choice.   Cruises to either of those locations come at a significantly higher cost, and a much longer sea transit time.  (For example, from $27,700 USD per person for Ross Sea 2021) 
This cost is more than double what the Westerdam cruise will cost us with business class flights included.   So for what this cruise is costing us,  even with a compromise in Antarctic location, it represents the best value for money experience to see the continent at all for us personally,  but not necessarily for others.

5)  The polar code will probably make cruising to Antarctica unviable financially for a very significant number of people in the short term.  Even if larger ships eventually do meet the code,  that would have to come at an additional cost.   

So if cost is a consideration for you,  and you would be satisfied just to see Antarctica without setting foot on it,   GO IN THE 2020/2021 SEASON.  You may not get another opportunity.   If you want the bonus of the Solar Eclipse,  look at the Nov 27 departure.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 6:50 PM, TriumphGuy said:

Off topic a bit but can someone briefly explain what the "new regulations" are and how they affect HAL sailings beyond 2020? We would love to do an Antarctic cruise, but it would be something we'd have to do in 2021 or 2022.

Thank you.

Here you go:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We sailed from Chile around Cape Horn to Buenos Aires on the Veendam in 2011 and regretted not sailing past Antarctica and adding Easter Island and Iguazu Falls. Thought we would never set foot on Antarctica because of sea sickness concerns on excursion ships. We found a great price on a Seabourn Antarctica cruise, booked it, and were so glad we took a ship with Antarctica landings.

Setting foot on my seventh continent did not thrill me as much as I thought it would, but being up close and personal with penguins and seals thrilled me much more than I thought it would. A world cruiser mentioned seeing little birds fly away from the ship so close to the ocean that they left ripples. My guess is that he saw flightless steamer ducks, very large ducks, paddling rapidly across the water with their wings. Believe me, seals, penguins and other animals look different at water level than from deck 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9. Some of our fellow cruisers were also close to whales. We made two trips through scenic Lemaire Channel. There were nineteen men and women on the excursion staff and any number of lectures. Wonderful cruise, I blogged about it here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2724452-the-grouch-on-seabourn-quest-january-12-2020-san-antonio-to-buenos-aires-via-antarctica/

The blog I envied is here (go to South Georgia, if you can): https://patrickinantarctica.com/2018/02/25/543/

Keep an eye on prices. Our 21 day Seabourn cruise was about four times as expensive as the cheapest 22 day Zaandam drive by cruise I saw and about one third more than the cheapest neptune suite price I saw on the Zaandam. Not cheap, but a great value.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 6:11 PM, HAL Sailer said:

RuthC, may I ask which HAL ships you were on? And, about cabins: depending on itinerary, we usually book a Verandah or an Inside but rarely an OV. I will be solo as DH can't manage this trip healthwise, so I'm considering an Inside as I think it will be too cold for much balcony time and I'd likely want to move port & starboard, forward & aft for viewing. Obviously, the Inside would be more affordable solo, too, but that isn't controlling. Any thoughts?

Having just taken the December 18th Zaandam cruise to Antarctica, I discovered a consideration that would nullify any reason I might have to take an inside cabin on such a cruise.  I became ill with the flu on Christmas Day and was quarantined for five days, four of which the ship was in Antarctica.  Had I been in an inside cabin, I would have missed out on Antarctica altogether, except for the ship's descriptions over the TV.  Fortunately we were in a Neptune (a delightful upgrade from HAL at the time we checked in!)  We were actually booked  in a Vista Suite, so we still would have had the balcony, and I consequently missed very little.  For people who choose an inside, it would seem that the type of cruise should be considered.  If it is a once in a lifetime, as this one was for us, then a possible illness aboard should be considered.  Sometime luck is not with us.

• Like 4

My husband and I took a South America / Antarctica cruise on Princess and booked a balcony. If you can swing it, I would highly recommend the balcony. On most cruises we have taken, we book inside rooms, but for this one we wanted to insure views at all times. Yes, we also went up on various decks etc., but we also spent a lot of time on our balcony. It was only approximately 30 degrees Fahrenheit (not taking wind into account) during our four days in Antarctic waters.  Being able to quickly duck back in our room to warm up and then go right back out again was very helpful.

We are going on our first Holland America cruise in April to the Caribbean. We are really excited to experience Holland America!

I did the Santiago to Buenos Aires route quite a few years ago.  It is my most memorable cruise.  One consideration on this route is that you can add a visit to Iguazu Falls post-cruise.  Believe me, Iguazu Falls is not to be missed.  It was the icing on the cake for me.

Here is my 2 cent opinion.  A cabin on the lower promenade on the Zaadam near an exit door gives you the opportunity to float back and fourth between Port and Starboard with ease to view what is going on either side.  Problem is the early birds who slam the doors running in and out which  is not that big of a problem.  Plus when it is cold you can run out get your photo shot and run back in to your cabin.  Then look out your window for the next opportunity.  

East versus West.  After Antarctica it is pretty much downhill going East to West.  Glacier Alley is bland, Fjords are just a quiet cruise with nominal views.  Saw no wildlife in those areas.  Also there are nine sea days post South Pole and HAL has extremely limited activities besides bingo and trivia.

I will waiver the 2 cents. 

For those who cannot or will not pay the cost of an excursion cruise to Antarctica and want to see penguins up close, bear in mind that you can see lots and lots penguins, upclose and personal, in Puerto Madryn, Argentina, the Faulklands, and in Chile  (forgot which port).  They are just as endearing in the sand as they re on the ice and snow.

• Like 2