Questions about Temperature Scans

This is more of a curious question than a serious concern, but I do wonder. I know someone who's healthy normal temperature is lower than 98.6 so a temperature of 100.0 means they're really ill so I wonder if there are also people for whom a temperature of 100.6 doesn't mean they're ill? What about if you are in menopause and having a hot flash? Does it make the scan read you as hot and if so is it hot enough to make you seem like you have a fever? Are there other conditions that could make you read to hot while being perfectly healthy? 

4 minutes ago, CoolNickname said:

This is more of a curious question than a serious concern, but I do wonder. I know someone who's healthy normal temperature is lower than 98.6 so a temperature of 100.0 means they're really ill so I wonder if there are also people for whom a temperature of 100.6 doesn't mean they're ill? What about if you are in menopause and having a hot flash? Does it make the scan read you as hot and if so is it hot enough to make you seem like you have a fever? Are there other conditions that could make you read to hot while being perfectly healthy? 

Body temp does not rise during a hot flash.   Felling hot and having  a temperature can be totally independent of each other. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2

I worry about the hot flash thing and I am not sure there is no rise in body temp. The back of my neck is very hot to the touch when I am having hot flashes and my DH has commented about how hot my skin feels. If they are using external forehead monitors will those indicate a fever  even if my internal body temp is actually not elevated.?  Update according to John Hopkins website hopkinsmedicine.org hot flashes can raise body temperature

Edited by imescaping
Update

1 minute ago, slurry57 said:

My body temp does rise during a hot flash! This was actually tested at my Dr office as I was having so many in a row! It went up 1.6 degrees.  

Yes- it happens for sure.  Also for MS patients, who have trouble regulating their body temperature. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, reneemartin10 said:

Yes- it happens for sure.  Also for MS patients, who have trouble regulating their body temperature. 

Agree, was aware but many others might not. Thanks for posting, OP also. Not same but my norm Temp has always averaged 97.3, but these examples can change what or if a Fever is. My Ex Blood Pressure averaged 79/54, until she was in mid 40s. Then was 120/? which normal to some, not her and wasnt. Good to be aware these differences. Twice Ex was in labor they thought her BP was incorrectly low/dropping.

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, OSUZorba said:

Are they doing temperature scans on everyone now? I thought it was only if you were in one of the categories for extra screening?

Didn't have to do it when we boarded the Radiance in Sydney on the 9th.