Alaska on Bliss in Aug w. 10 yr old

sue2020

I have a tentative reservation on Bliss for Alaska on Aug 9. This would be our first ever cruise and it would be w. our 10 yr old grandson. We don't have flexibility regarding timing and location. I have a few questions:

- how warm is the water in the outdoor pool on Bliss?

- how much time does one get for $15 on the race track and how much time for $10 for laser tag?

- which included eating location is less crowded and best with kids for breakfast?

- can one watch the glacier from the balcony (we have room 12814, mid-ship)

- at what time is the Beatles show?

- is there a long wait for lunch in the main dinner locations between 12 & 1pm?

- are the water park and the race track safe and appropriate for a 10 yr old (knowing that weight and height requirements are met)?

- if you took this cruise in August, was it very rainy and cold?

I am trying to figure out if this is the "right" cruise for us. 

Any other comments, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The buffet will be jam packed for breakfast, but there is another buffet location with fewer options but also fewer people. The main dining room will be slow service for breakfast, but it will be a quieter affair.   Because it is AK people will want to be off the ship and sightseeing all day.  Usually lunch options include O'Sheehans which is like a pub and one of the main dining rooms.  Be forewarned that the lunch and breakfast menu will be the same every day.

August might not be too rainy at all, it might be downright hot, so pack for layering. 

Yes, you can see the glacier from the balcony, but its also fun to be up high on the deck to see it too.

The Cavern Club will be jam packed you will need to get there at least 45  minutes before showtime just to get a seat, it will be Standing Room Only closer to show time. 

Others will have to chime in about the Bliss, I haven't sailed on her yet.

18 minutes ago, sue2020 said:

I have a tentative reservation on Bliss for Alaska on Aug 9. This would be our first ever cruise and it would be w. our 10 yr old grandson. We don't have flexibility regarding timing and location. I have a few questions:

- how warm is the water in the outdoor pool on Bliss? The pools, water slides, and water feature in the Spice H20 are heated. The pool is heated to pool water temperature (not bath water temperature). The jacuizzis are heated to bath water temperature. Lots of kids in the water, even when it is cool outside. 

- how much time does one get for $15 on the race track and how much time for $10 for laser tag? About 8-10 laps on the race course. 

- which included eating location is less crowded and best with kids for breakfast? Most mornings, you will be trying to eat quickly to get off the ship and to an excursion. The Garden Cafe buffet, while crowded, is where you want to be. If you want a 1+ hour sit down breakfast, you can go to the Taste or Savor main dining room or slightly faster at The Local pub. 

- can one watch the glacier from the balcony (we have room 12814, mid-ship) The ship will rotate 360 degrees at the glaciers. You will see it head-on for a minute or two. But, you will probably want to be up and about on deck. Glacier Bay is a full day activities. 

- at what time is the Beatles show? On our cruise, it was 7:00 and 10:15. But you need to show up at least 45 minutes early to get a seat. 

- is there a long wait for lunch in the main dinner locations between 12 & 1pm? If you go at opening (which is only on sea days), you will be seated quickly. Once the seats fill up, you have to wait until people leave. 

- are the water park and the race track safe and appropriate for a 10 yr old (knowing that weight and height requirements are met)? yes

- if you took this cruise in August, was it very rainy and cold? You are visiting a rain forest area. It could rain a lot. It could be cold. It could be warm. Some days, it was shorts weather. Some days a jacket. Glacier days are heavy jackets, hats, gloves. 

I am trying to figure out if this is the "right" cruise for us. Alaska is a wonderful place to cruise. Enjoy. 

Any other comments, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Enroll your grandchild in the Splash Academy as soon as you embark. And make sure he attends on the first night when all of the kids are making friends. Then let him set the pace with the activities. If you're lucky, you can drop him off every evening and enjoy the evening. 

Triple check that you have all of the paperwork required to have your grandson with you. You will need signed NCL forms from the parents. You want medical power of attorney in case of illness. And there are additional forms required because the ship calls in Canada which is much more strict when a minor is not traveling with his parents. 

Enjoy the Bliss. She is a beautiful ship!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the very helpful advice and information.

If you don't mind, please clarify "The ship will rotate 360 degrees at the glaciers. You will see it head-on for a minute or two. But, you will probably want to be up and about on deck. Glacier Bay is a full day activities. ".  What activities are on the ship usually at Glacier Bay? I don't assume one gets off, it is defined as a sea day. On which deck (your own) should one be? Doesn't it get very crowded there?

Can one reserve time for the paid for activities (race track and laser tag) to avoid staying in line?

What should and can one reserve ahead of time (before getting on the ship)? 

Interesting comment re. breakfast and lunch menus being the same every day.  I saw a description stating that menus keep changing. Hopefully if one doesn't go to the same place every day, it doesn't become boring. We are not foodies, so hopefully they have the variety we are usually looking for.

Part of the package we have 3 nights for the specialty restaurants for paying $39 as service charge for this package. Our grandson could eat for free from the kids' menu. Are these specialty restaurants crowded too? Can they be reserved before boarding? 

36 minutes ago, sue2020 said:

If you don't mind, please clarify "The ship will rotate 360 degrees at the glaciers. You will see it head-on for a minute or two. But, you will probably want to be up and about on deck. Glacier Bay is a full day activities. ".  What activities are on the ship usually at Glacier Bay? I don't assume one gets off, it is defined as a sea day. On which deck (your own) should one be? Doesn't it get very crowded there?

Can one reserve time for the paid for activities (race track and laser tag) to avoid staying in line?

What should and can one reserve ahead of time (before getting on the ship)? 

Interesting comment re. breakfast and lunch menus being the same every day.  I saw a description stating that menus keep changing. Hopefully if one doesn't go to the same place every day, it doesn't become boring. We are not foodies, so hopefully they have the variety we are usually looking for.

Part of the package we have 3 nights for the specialty restaurants for paying $39 as service charge for this package. Our grandson could eat for free from the kids' menu. Are these specialty restaurants crowded too? Can they be reserved before boarding? 

They bring on a ranger from the national park and they start speaking from the bridge over the intercoms by 8am. I think it actually started at 7. There will also be a couple rangers walking around public areas. It was around 9am when we got to the big glacier - this was not the first glacier seen of the day - where the ship stayed about an hour while turning in a circle. We then went to the next glaciers and did a 180 around there - probably about 30 minutes to do that turn. I believe the last thing done on board by the rangers was 1pm. (I think there were some kid oriented stuff the rangers were doing, but I didn't pay attention to that) After that there wasn't much glacier viewing left, but we hadn't completely made it out of the bay before the sun started to set (this was May so 4-5) because I was just leaving the hot tub (I hopped in after the prime glacier viewing stopped) as the temperature was dropping. 

I didn't have a balcony, but I'd be afraid that it'd limit your vision too much. You really want a 360 view of it. The top decks weren't crazy busy - I'm guessing the observation lounge was packed by those that didn't want to put on jackets. They also open up the bow for passengers to go out on which was also really cool. 

You want reservations for race track and laser tag. They often won't take walk ups. You can only reserve on board. The comedy shows you will also only be able to reserve on board. The main shows you want to reserve ahead of time. They only release a small portion of specialty dining ahead of time so if you can't get the timing you want that's also on board. 

You know your grandkid better than me, but at 10 I would have been pissed eating the free kids meal when everyone else was eating much better specialty dining meals. The kid menu is the same in all dining venues and is the normal boring kid meal stuff. I went on a cruise with my 2 and 4 year old niece and they were horrified at the kids menu and after they stole their parents food the first night the parents ordered off the adult menu for them. Unless the kid is picky or very basic in eating I would strongly suggest buying him a dining package. 

Edited by smplybcause

Thanks! This is so helpful, particularly for someone like me who has never been on a cruise before.

So if all 4,000 passengers boarding can make reservations only after boarding for the race track, laser tag, restaurants, etc. , how does that happen? Any advice to avoid staying in line the whole day to make reservations or missing the chance to enjoy (for a lot of money) these attractions? Does one get details about the type of food, sample menu before making restaurant reservations? 

I assume one has to have a clear plan for any off-shore time and try to make reservations around them or stay on board when others are away. It sounds a little bit crazy, high pressure and stressful for a time when one is supposed to be on a relaxed vacation....  Is everything on this cruise a race for a chair, a seat, a spot, etc.? Hopefully no stampede 😧.

The specialty dining places have set menus. You can search on here to find posts of them. The MDR menus aren't quite so set so no one can say exactly what will be on each day. 

You can reserve the track and laser tag either via interactive TVs on board or going to one set location (last year it was at the social so it probably will this year). It shouldn't take the whole day though. I boarded around 1130 or 12 and waited in the show reservation line for no more than 30 minutes. At that time the line for laser and race track reservations had no one in it. Though there were lines other times from what I heard. I didn't walk back by the area until well after sailaway so I can't say how the lines were later on. 

Thanks. Based on what you mentioned, it seems that there are separate lines for shows, dinner and attractions, which might make sense, unless one needs reservations for all. If easy to use and one can get into the cabin after on board, maybe using the TV is a better option (???) - if it works at that time and is reliable.

Does one have to go through many "steps" when boarding and after boarding before getting to the cabin? If one boards between 11:30 and 12, at what time can one go to the cabin?  Are all lunch locations open at that time? Is food served during the day all day long or they have windows for (and gaps in between) breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Cabins won't be open until at least 1, but it could be closer to 2. I've never had later than 2, but it's not impossible that it would happen. There are interactive TVs near the elevators you can use to reserve things. 

There's checkin. After you checkin you may have to wait until they start boarding. After you're on board you can go anywhere on the ship except the cabins. They'll announce when they're open, usually after 1pm like I said. The buffet will be open when boarding starts as well as the local. The main dining room usually doesn't open until 12. The main dining room will have the shortest hours. There will also be some food in the observation lounge but it's lighter fare. The local is 24/7 with the exception of a short bit of time when they switch between breakfast and their regular menu (and maybe between regular and late night but I've never gone then). The buffet also has a short time between meals, but they usually close down one side to turnover first and then they close down the second a bit before they open the first with the new meal. 

There is so much to learn about a cruise. Thanks for having the patience and making the time to address my naive questions.

As I am getting familiar with this website, I can see that there are reviews for each cruise ship. I will be reading them, with the understanding that past experience, expectations that can be different, luck with the weather, etc. can "color" the review and the perspective of the reviewer. But I have learned that when many people are mentioning the same (good or bad) it makes sense to listen. I want to make sure that if I spend the money (a lot of it) I get the value that I am assuming for it.

Thanks again.

We were on the Joy in late August. The weather was pretty startlingly cool some days for a lot of people, and they got nasty shocks as they clearly didn't do their research, and thought tank tops and sandals would do. We didn't get to the glacier at all, as it was really foggy, and we just took a turn to the right, and kept going. Hoonah was good. Sunny. The Lumberjack show in Ketchikan is good. Juneau was a total 'meh' due to rain, but there is a really good fudge shop in town past all the jewelry places. Otherwise... We missed Skagway entirely, which is a bummer, as we would have liked to have done the railway trip.

We had a lot of very heavy fog this time. We had been twice before, but most days it was heavy fog and/or rain. But other trips it has been sunny and fairly warm. It's unpredictable. 

Oh, if you go to Victoria don't catch the bus into town. It is an obscene rip off. Grab a cab. They are right next door to the buses. And book a carriage ride in advance. They are awesome. Royal BC Museum is exceptional as well. 

Traveled with grandchildren ages 12,10 and 7 last summer on Bliss, early July.

First, there are great things for kids in Seattle.  Make sure to check it out.

Kids did some Kids Clubs activities.  Not really fans, but gave the parents some alone time.

LOVED the gokarts.  

The best recommendation would be to check excursions from your ports of call.  Ours loved the Ketchican Lumberjack show.  In Skagway, we took the Trail of 98 Tour.  The driver was amazing about tailoring the trip to meet the needs of the kids.

This is a great family tour.

Thanks. Yes, great suggestion. I reserved a hotel in Seattle for 3 nights before the departure.

I am reading reviews to spend time there. There are lots of things our grandson would be interested in. I know he would love the Go-carts too and on the ship, but (even if one can get a reservation), he cannot have too many rides as the price just went up to $15/ride. I am not sure what they do at the Kids' Club, so I am not sure if he would like it. 

I am reading the reviews and can see that so much depends on luck. On some of these cruises to Alaska on the Bliss, some or most of the attractions just didn't work for the duration of the cruise, the water slide was out of order and due to bad wether, some ships skipped the glacier. 

In Victoria we would not go anywhere because unfortunately the arrival is scheduled when it will be dark...  So Victoria would not mean anything for us.

Still learning and researching. Your answers and comments are much appreciated.

3 hours ago, sue2020 said:

If you don't mind, please clarify "The ship will rotate 360 degrees at the glaciers. You will see it head-on for a minute or two. But, you will probably want to be up and about on deck. Glacier Bay is a full day activities. ".  What activities are on the ship usually at Glacier Bay? I don't assume one gets off, it is defined as a sea day. On which deck (your own) should one be? Doesn't it get very crowded there? Glacier Bay is the big day on your itinerary. The ship enters the bay in the wee hours of the morning and US Park Service personnel board and provide narration for what you are seeing on both sides of the ship. You would want to be up on deck (or even on the bow of the ship) to see some of the sights. 

Can one reserve time for the paid for activities (race track and laser tag) to avoid staying in line? You must book as soon as you embark. They can only be reserved onboard. And they will sell out for the entire cruise very quickly. 

What should and can one reserve ahead of time (before getting on the ship)? 120 days prior to your cruise, you can book the two main theater shows and specialty dining. If you have a dining package, you MUST make reservations. Prime time dining will sell out quickly online, so booking exactly 120 days out is recommended. They hold tables for booking on embarkation day, but by 1 pm on embarkation day, some of the popular restaurants will be totally sold out for the entire cruise. If you are just dining in one of the complimentary dining rooms (Manhattan Room, Taste, Savor, The Local, Garden Cafe Buffet), non reservations are required.

On embarkation day, you can also book comedy shows (they sell out fast). escape rooms (doing puzzles in a group), Canvas by U (painting classes - extra charge). 

Interesting comment re. breakfast and lunch menus being the same every day.  I saw a description stating that menus keep changing. Hopefully if one doesn't go to the same place every day, it doesn't become boring. We are not foodies, so hopefully they have the variety we are usually looking for. Dinner menus have "dishes of the day" along with "classic dishes - which never change". That way, you can always get a steak, chicken dish, fish dish, vegetarian dish. Breakfast menus are the same every day. Lunch menus are always the same (open on sea days only). 

Part of the package we have 3 nights for the specialty restaurants for paying $39 as service charge for this package. Our grandson could eat for free from the kids' menu. Are these specialty restaurants crowded too? Can they be reserved before boarding?  If you have a dining package, you MUST make reservations. Prime time dining will sell out quickly online, so booking exactly 120 days out is recommended. They hold tables for booking on embarkation day, but by 1 pm on embarkation day, some of the popular restaurants will be totally sold out for the entire cruise. If you are just dining in one of the complimentary dining rooms (Manhattan Room, Taste, Savor, The Local, Garden Cafe Buffet), non reservations are required.

If you want to get an idea of what happens on a cruise ship, the link below is to a live post from the Bliss to Alaska (itinerary did not include Glacier Bay). You can look at some old menus, and daily programs. 

WOW!

BirdTravels, thanks so much. I would have never found this link, which is the most useful reading I have done until now. It gives a great insight to what to expect in terms of information, how things work on board, etc. Reading it end-to-end will turn me into an educated cruise prospect. Thanks for doing all this legwork and sharing.

I just wish it would as "empty" as in some of the pictures.

• Like 1

BirdTravels, I want to thank you one more time for the link to your review and pictures. The copy of info distributed after one gets on board, the schedules and copies of other materials have been extremely helpful for me. Also I will ask a lot less questions that would require time for the kind forum members to answer. I am now doing a "sanity check" to determine if this cruise (which will cost at least $8,500 for 1 week for the 3 of us by the time I factor in all service charges, the attractions on the ship, one off-shore excursion in 2 ports, etc.) will deliver enough "value' for us. I am using all the answers to-date, the reviews on this website, at Tripadvisor, etc. vs. my expectations and what I know that would be of interest to each of us. It will be a tough decision, based on what I see. For $8,500 one can buy a lot of vacation on land, so I have high expectations.

I am wondering if this "overcrowded" feeling mentioned even by those who provided high ratings, the lines for almost everything (including for the 2 elevators), the need to race to reserve most attractions, shows, restaurants is specific to Bliss or if this is the way things work on all cruise lines, all cruises. Not having been on any, I have no idea, but it really turns me off.

If you have been on other cruises and can compare, I'd appreciate an answer.

Edited by sue2020

You can avoid all these concerns & issues by sailing on a smaller ship !  And choose one that has a better itinerary than the Bliss.  ISeriously, Ketchikan 7am - 1pm.    With a kid in tow, what time do you realistically expect to be done with showers, bfast and disembark ?  Then you have to be back by noon.  So you might have 4 hrs to 'do' Ketchikan.  Is that enough time for you to accomplish your sightseeing plans ?

And Juneau 2:30 - 11pm.  Yes it stays light later, but do you think you'll disembark at 3pm and stay off the ship until 10pm, or will you sightsee for a few hrs then come back to the ship for dinner,  then not go out again.

And while Victoria is a beautiful location, it's not Alaska and arriving at 7pm doesn't provide much time to see and do anything.  Just another sea day.

I would also suggest looking at RT Vancouver, over Seattle.   More scenic route and calmer waters.

Lots of bells and whistles on the Bliss, but I don't think it's the best opportunity for seeing Alaska.  IMHO.

Thanks mapleleaves. The more I read, the less excited I am about this specific cruise. We would see little of Alaska, nothing of Victoria (which I would not might enjoying for a day); we don't really drink, would not care for night life, would care maybe for 1 show (if could get in). The on board fun for our grandson would be expensive, limited and weather and maintenance dependent. While the ship is new and cabins are supposedly small but well designed, the cruise (for us) is not about staying in the cabin. The other reason I appreciated the newness is the modern stabilizing system. Both my grandson and I are prone to motion sickness. Everything else seems to have issues: the food, finding a place to sit down, customer service, etc. I really tried to talk myself into it but based on all the info it doesn't seem that this cruise is for us. For me vacation is relaxing, finding peace and quiet and no stress. This cruise seems to be everything else but this.

If I jumped at the wrong conclusion and you think otherwise, please let me know.

If you're prone to motion sickness, that's another reason to consider a Vancouver departure.  

Vancouver ships travel BETWEEN the mainland and Vancouver island which has lovely scenery and is sheltered waters.

Seattle ships travel on the west side of Vancouver Island so no scenery and open seas there can be rough water. 

I would have to go back to square 1 to see which cruise lines go from Vancouver, have great stops with interesting off shore excursions, good activity choices for kids, an indoor pool and great reviews - if there is such a cruise.......

Regardless, thanks to each of you who answered my questions (and maybe helped me save $8,500 for a few different vacations with our grandson). Now at least I know a lot more about cruises than before. They might be great for some, not appropriate for others, depending on one's interests, age, etc.

They also added the following clarification - should anyone be interested:

"We have extensive checks for our member reviews.  We also process member reviews with real people that have years of experience and knowledge about most of the ships that are sailing.  I’m not able to discuss our processes with you but you can fell secure that member cruise reviews on Cruise Critic are from actual cruisers.  If you ever see a review that you question the validity of, you can write to us and we can look at it closer. 

Having said that, we don’t offer an authenticity guarantee on our member reviews.  I don’t think any review site can guarantee that.  I’ve been manually processing member reviews for 13 years.  I know what I’m looking for and I can spot fakes and trends pretty easily.  You have very little to worry about with fakes on Cruise Critic."

I did an Alaskan cruise on the Bliss last May. It my 5th cruise, but my first one on a NCL ship.

I think you are worrying too much about overcrowding/having to rush to activities/not finding chairs, etc. The only issue with crowds I had was some days at the buffet for breakfast, it took a while to find an empty table. And I just walked around until I found one, and I always did.

The live shows take reservations ahead of time, and they also have a second line for walk in. Once the people with reservations take their seats, they let the walk ins in.

We didn't make our dinner reservations at exactly the moment they opened but we still got what we wanted. You may need a little flexibility, but you will be fine. We also got one reservation for time that was too late for us, and we were able to check that day and change it.