Cruise Critic Community
moatenote

Considering visiting Lucca from Livorno port

We've been to Pisa and Florence and were wondering about an optional Viking tour to Lucca.  Would appreciate any information about it from folks who've been there.

Our stop at Livorno is on a Sunday (not sure if that affects any sights).  Thanks!

I´ve just been to Lucca last week. I will have some photos. We only had 1.5 hours in the city so we didn´t do the city wall. We went to a vineyard later on.

You can easily get to Lucca by train and the train station is right close to the historic city center. The hassle is to get to the train station in Livorno. You usually have to take the shuttle bus out of port into town and then take a public bus to the train station.

steamboats

Lucca is very nice for a day trip from Livorno. Closer than Florence. We hired a taxi with Tuscany by Taxi at the port for a tour to Pisa and Lucca. 

We're on our snowbird visit to LA [Lower Alabama!] so I don't have access to my travel books.  But I think that Rick Steves can give you good advice on this – either his Italy book or his Mediterranean Cruise Ports book.  Your local library probably has them!  [says the retired librarian...]