Considering visiting Lucca from Livorno port

moatenote

We've been to Pisa and Florence and were wondering about an optional Viking tour to Lucca.  Would appreciate any information about it from folks who've been there.

Our stop at Livorno is on a Sunday (not sure if that affects any sights).  Thanks!

I´ve just been to Lucca last week. I will have some photos. We only had 1.5 hours in the city so we didn´t do the city wall. We went to a vineyard later on.

You can easily get to Lucca by train and the train station is right close to the historic city center. The hassle is to get to the train station in Livorno. You usually have to take the shuttle bus out of port into town and then take a public bus to the train station.

steamboats

We're on our snowbird visit to LA [Lower Alabama!] so I don't have access to my travel books.  But I think that Rick Steves can give you good advice on this – either his Italy book or his Mediterranean Cruise Ports book.  Your local library probably has them!  [says the retired librarian...] 

I'm very jealous. We're on a TA in November and have a port call in Livorno.  We were all set to head to Lucca, but the date coincides with the final date of the annual Lucca Comics and Games convention, the largest in Europe.  The tour operator several of us had planned to use said it would be a no-go that day because of the festival.   🙁

Enjoy Lucca!

We loved Lucca. Our stop was in late September and a beautiful fall day.  Some event was going on concerning Puccini  - perhaps his birthday, and many homes had windows open and opera was playing  - it was magical.

We caught the shuttle to the town centre then the public bus to the train station. We, too, visited on Sunday. It was lovely and quiet wandering round the streets, but a little frustrating to see things in the local shop windows but be unable to look closer or buy anything

On 2/25/2020 at 1:15 PM, suekay said:

We caught the shuttle to the town centre then the public bus to the train station. We, too, visited on Sunday. It was lovely and quiet wandering round the streets, but a little frustrating to see things in the local shop windows but be unable to look closer or buy anything

I bought a beautiful handbag there.