Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

1 hour ago, lvmypug said:

Just got off the phone with Cunard.  They are offering 50% future cruise credit on the non refundable portion of our 2  cruises set to leave on March 17 and April 18th.   I can't believe they are not matching what Carnival, Princess,  Royal, Celebrity are offering.  We are in the high risk category (over 60 with underlying health issues).  We will lose thousands of dollars if they don't offer a full credit.   I will NEVER cruise with them again if that happens!

Thank you for the update.  They are being very sneaky and underhanded.  The refusal to update their cx policy online or in press releases and force people into long phone waits is a clear example of their lack of customer concern and focus.  The refusal to give full FCC and essentially rob passengers who are out of options is just appalling.  I am astonished....but I will remember their actions well in the future.  We may lose $1000 and be forced into one cruise with these fools once in order to not lose $2000 more, but I will then leave the “classy” Cunard alone to reap what it sows, and I will wish them nothing good, and never will I have a good word to say about the company.

• Like 3

I communicated with my US Senator today about Cunards refund policy during this public health emergency because they are owned by an American company that went to see Trump asking for help just last week. I wound ask all Americans to do the same.

• Like 2

The P&O tweet..... 

In light of the Coronavirus situation, we are reviewing our current transfer & cancellation policies to offer greater flexibility for our guests. Details will be available within 48 hours. For sailings within 48 hours please call us on 03453 555 111 to discuss your options.

18 hours ago, oskidunker said:

My first Cunard cruise was to be-in Sept. sent them an email advising them I wont make the final payment 4 months in advance. The silence is deafening. 

Sadly, Cunard rarely replies to e-mails, even in "normal" times. I sent two last year on two different subjects and never received the courtesy of a reply.

It seems Cunard needs to clean house of much of the shoreside staff - certainly not the on-board crews who are generally excellent. If the management responsible for not changing their cancellation policy affects the Cunard Line significantly they should be the first to go. I needn't mention in detail the IT staff which should have been replaced long ago.

• Like 2

We are booked on QM2 from NYC on April 25th and we were waiting for the travel advice from the Canadian Government. Now thankfully We can cancel and claim that stupid penalty Cunard is asking to pay 500$ thru our travel insurance. Given the circumstances I am bewildered  on how Cunard is handling this crisis ( charging a penalty and 90days to rebook ) #neveragainCunard

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html#cruise

19 minutes ago, Eric79DAM said:

We are booked on QM2 from NYC on April 25th and we were waiting for the travel advice from the Canadian Government. Now thankfully We can cancel and claim that stupid penalty Cunard is asking to pay 500$ thru our travel insurance. Given the circumstances I am bewildered  on how Cunard is handling this crisis ( charging a penalty and 90days to rebook ) #neveragainCunard

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html#cruise

The policy I have requires an advisory by the Dept of Foreign Affairs. The recommendation is helpful but it does not meet the requirements for payment by our insurance company - and some others I am aware of. I hope your insurance will pay for a recommendation, although I expect an official advisory might be coming soon.

We have about three weeks before our final payment is due, so if Cunard doesn't offer a reasonable inducement we will have to cancel to avoid any loss.

23 minutes ago, Eric79DAM said:

You get away lightly, if I cancel our transatlantic, I stand to lose $1500. Then there’s the return crossing in June, another $500+

Question, Has anyone purchased CC and tried to used it?  According to the policy it's suppose to: 

Cancellation Fee Waiver Program1 – waives the non-refundable cancellation provision of your Passage Contract and pays you the value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation (up to a limit of $50,000 per guest) in the event that you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation (for specified reasons).

We are suppose to go May/June and are in a wait and see approach. I did purchase CC, but even if they refunded me 100% I'd be losing almost all my other 3-weeks worth of travel/accommodations/tours etc....   ? 

Edited by Glamorkat

Cunard has NO SHAME!

I just got an email from Cunard advertising future bookings. "Enjoy magical evenings when sailing with Cunard"  No mention of "book this month and we will waive change fees" the way the other cruiselines have been advertising. Just an ordinary email, no promo involved:

Discover something new.

Evenings on board your Cunard Queen are sure to be a highlight of your vacation and the perfect time for socializing with like-minded guests. Make the night your own occasion with a host of options ahead of you – will you try a Perfect Serve at the Gin & Fizz bar? Or waltz on the beautiful sprung dance floor perhaps? The choice, as always, is yours. Contact your Travel Advisor, call Cunard at (800) 728-6273 or visit Cunard.com to reserve your stateroom or Grill Suite.

And then it talks about entertainment, food, etc. It's as if they have no idea anything out of the ordinary is going on in the world. 

• Like 1

My TA just got off the phone with Cunard: my cancellation penalty is $3101 (25%), but they are offering 50% of that penalty back as a Future Credit Cruise, which is subject to change at any time (!!).

This is disappointing....

9 minutes ago, Meliador said:

My TA just got off the phone with Cunard: my cancellation penalty is $3101 (25%), but they are offering 50% of that penalty back as a Future Credit Cruise, which is subject to change at any time (!!).

This is disappointing....

I would have expexted that to be 100% back tbh, given the circumstances and your government basically not advising cruise travel (afaik).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hypercafe said:

I communicated with my US Senator today about Cunards refund policy during this public health emergency because they are owned by an American company that went to see Trump asking for help just last week. I wound ask all Americans to do the same.

Thank you for this suggestion.  I have just contacted both senators for my state.  I also encourage others to do the same.  I also went to Cunard on Facebook and expressed my grievance on their board.  I suggest that others also chime in.  We may get nowhere but if we stay silent we are guaranteed to gain nothing.  The more of us who squawk, the more they will notice.

I cannot see how this is not gouging the customer.  They are essentially STEALING our money.    Prior to Corona they would have given me $2100 as a credit and $2100 as a FCC for a $4200 cruise.  Now, with Corona they have pulled out a gun and are robbing me of $1050...multiply this by every passenger similarly affected and they are stealing significant sums.

I urge everyone affected to sound off, and let your dissatisfaction be known.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric79DAM said:

We are on the same one as you from UK my father is 81 as I previously discussed. We will probably not be going. Rang Cunard in UK tonight and got the response the policy will be revised in next couple of days.

As I have said before and been shouted down for it I think the response of Cunard proves they are in serious trouble financially hence why they are not offering even full cruise credit nevermind a refund and fwiw in 6 weeks time there will likely be many thousands of corona cases in nyc. I wonder how that will affect their thinking.

I'm still holding onto my reservation. Two months before departure from NYC. But I'm not very optimistic that it will be better in May, especially since Italy is our ultimate destination. I'm collecting all lodging cancellation dates and will be sure to make a final call before I lose too much more money.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

As I have said before and been shouted down for it I think the response of Cunard proves they are in serious trouble financially hence why they are not offering even full cruise credit nevermind a refund and fwiw in 6 weeks time there will likely be many thousands of corona cases in nyc. I wonder how that will affect their thinking.

Where are the Cunard financials?  I only find an annual report for Carnival.  My bigger question is whether this argument applies to all the Carnival lines, or are some more vulnerable to the current situation than others? 

I guess a related question is why the cancellation policies would differ across the Carnival brands.

We have another week before the cancellation penalty for our Apr 16 cruise goes to 75%.  Hoping to have some clarity by then.

4 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

The policy I have requires an advisory by the Dept of Foreign Affairs. The recommendation is helpful but it does not meet the requirements for payment by our insurance company - and some others I am aware of. I hope your insurance will pay for a recommendation, although I expect an official advisory might be coming soon.

We have about three weeks before our final payment is due, so if Cunard doesn't offer a reasonable inducement we will have to cancel to avoid any loss.

My final payment is due May 14 for a Sept 11 cruise. I will also cancel unless the final pay date is moved to july 14. Most-expensive cruise ever booked in Princess Grill. Can not afford to lose that money. Insurance would cost us $1200 and would only cover 75% . Not going to do that. First cruise on Cunard and so far not impressed. Bad web site for months with obviously no desire to fix along with no indication of caring about people. 

50 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

We are on the same one as you from UK my father is 81 as I previously discussed. We will probably not be going. Rang Cunard in UK tonight and got the response the policy will be revised in next couple of days.

Your father is at risk for sure. Both early 40s, we are not fearing the virus itself, its the quarantine we don't want !!!! this was going to be our first cruise on Cunard, we were looking forward to this crossing but the way Cunard is handling this disaster, no way, never again Cunard, will stick with  Holland in the future

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lvmypug said:

Just got off the phone with Cunard.  They are offering 50% future cruise credit on the non refundable portion of our 2  cruises set to leave on March 17 and April 18th.   I can't believe they are not matching what Carnival, Princess,  Royal, Celebrity are offering.  We are in the high risk category (over 60 with underlying health issues).  We will lose thousands of dollars if they don't offer a full credit.   I will NEVER cruise with them again if that happens!

***UPDATE****   At 4 pm this afternoon, our TA called (at my insistence) Cunard again.  This time they offered us a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100% of our cruise that was to leave March 17 and 50% refund and 50% future cruise credit on our April 18th cruise.   The lady at Cunard said this new offer went into effect a 1/2 hr prior to us calling. We must book a new cruise within 90 days of receiving the FCC but the cruises can be anytime between now and 12/31/2021,     I am beyond sad we had to cancel these cruises but thrilled Cunard finally stepped up and offered what the other cruise lines are offering.   

Edited by lvmypug
typo correction
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Eric79DAM said:

Your father is at risk for sure. Both early 40s, we are not fearing the virus itself, its the quarantine we don't want !!!! this was going to be our first cruise on Cunard, we were looking forward to this crossing but the way Cunard is handling this disaster, no way, never again Cunard, will stick with  Holland in the future

Eric, that's exactly what I'm worried about....I personally cannot afford the risk of a 2 week quarantine on top of an 8 days crossing. Even if I had access to a great internet connection (!!) it would still be very difficult to work remotely.  I wished Cunard would accept to simply postpone my cruise...I would be willing to do that, but to penalize me by losing half of our original $3k deposit ($1550) is very short sighted.  And to think that I cancelled a cruise on the new Regent's Splendor to try the Grills....ohwell. C'est la vie. 

14 minutes ago, lvmypug said:

***UPDATE****   At 4 pm this afternoon, our TA called (at my insistence) Cunard again.  This time they offered us a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100% of our cruise that was to leave March 17 and 50% refund and 50% future cruise credit on our April 18th cruise.   The lady at Cunard said this new offer went into effect a 1/2 hr prior to us calling. We must book a new cruise within 90 days of receiving the FCC but the cruises can be anytime between now and 12/31/2021,     I am beyond sad we had to cancel these cruises but thrilled Cunard finally stepped up and offered what the other cruise lines are offering.   

15 minutes ago, lvmypug said:

Nothing on changing the 4 month in advance deposit requirement?

23 minutes ago, lvmypug said:

If this is their new policy I applaud them for making the correct move.  I will call again tomorrow to see what I hear and will report back.

• Like 1