Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

Thanks bluemarble,  I just intended to warn those who may be counting on the cancellation advice off of the Cruise Critic main page "Cruise Lines Modify Cancellation Policies..." which only references the UK policy.  I have sent in a feedback on that link.  Those of us only have the option to forfeit our deposit in April rather than pay 100% betting that this policy will be modified AFTER they have 100% of our funds and hoping for a 40% FCC.  I "printed" to PDF at 11am AK DLT.

37 minutes ago, resordanis said:

I had an email overnight re our cancelled 15/3 cruise and as we want a full refund, it states that Cunard could take up to 10 weeks to refund! I do feel for you having all that money outstanding! They are all very quick to take our money but very slow giving it back.

Who was the email from?? Actually, although our cruise was cancelled on 19 Feb, the cruise itself was meant to depart on 06 May!!!! It could be this "late" departure date that is holding up our payment. 

8 minutes ago, LucyLu10 said:

Thanks bluemarble,  I just intended to warn those who may be counting on the cancellation advice off of the Cruise Critic main page "Cruise Lines Modify Cancellation Policies..." which only references the UK policy.  I have sent in a feedback on that link.  Those of us only have the option to forfeit our deposit in April rather than pay 100% betting that this policy will be modified AFTER they have 100% of our funds and hoping for a 40% FCC.  I "printed" to PDF at 11am AK DLT.

Ah, yes. Very good point about that Cruise Critic article which is only quoting the cancellation cutoff date from the UK policy.

7 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Who was the email from?? Actually, although our cruise was cancelled on 19 Feb, the cruise itself was meant to depart on 06 May!!!! It could be this "late" departure date that is holding up our payment. 

8 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Our email was from the TA. My communication with Cunard has been non existent even though they said they would be in contact on Saturday evening to arrange our travel!

9 hours ago, Austcruiser84 said:

Major economies are already in talks about wartime production style approach to manufacturing a cure and vaccine. Scientists have already moved to trials of a cure and it really is a matter of two months. 

The Queen Mary 2 will be back to plying the Atlantic by June 21st. 

I hope you are not a betting person!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

They are keeping us guessing about QE's plans aren't they? After sailing at around 10 knots for most of yesterday, she's picked up speed to 15+ knots for the past 7 hours or so, has sailed past Brisbane, and based on her current heading, it looks to me like she may well be planning to turn northwest and continue along the coast of Queensland. Still "Awaiting Orders" as her destination.

4 hours ago, sfred said:

Yes, as at 6.40a AEST, QE is about 50k off Fraser Island Queensland, 356 degrees at 16.2 knots, and still "awaiting orders".  Whereever she's headed, she's in a bigger hurry than yesterday when speed was only 8 or 9 knots at times.

I had sort of hoped that Brisbane would be the lay-up port.  Lots of dock and anchor space, good access to supplies and maintenance, and an international airport to fly in crew when times improve and Cunard wants to restart operations.  Queensland gets much less populated as she heads further north.  The ports are mostly for iron, gas and coal export and except for the area around Cairns, not really designed for large passenger ships.

QE has made that turn to the northwest. Not sure what to make of that. Unfortunately that does put the earlier reports that she might be planning on returning to Southampton back into play.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

QE has made that turn to the northwest. Not sure what to make of that. Unfortunately that does put the earlier reports that she might be planning on returning to Southampton back into play.

From Cunard’s fb 

We know many of you are interested in the current whereabouts of our ships, so the following information should be helpful. Today, Wednesday 18 March, Cunard ships are in the following locations: 

Queen Mary 2 is crossing the Indian Ocean towards Mauritius on passage back to Southampton, estimated arrival 11 April. 

Queen Elizabeth has disembarked all guests and is staying in Australian waters. 

Queen Victoria has sailed from Port Everglades and is on her way across the Atlantic back to Southampton, due to arrive on 26 March.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

She has turned into the main "Inner Barrier Reef" channel northwards. Probably heading to Cairns - or even possibly the Whitsunday islands area.  

20 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

She has turned into the main "Inner Barrier Reef" channel northwards. Probably heading to Cairns - or even possibly the Whitsunday islands area.  

Certainly hope the Captain and the crew of QE have more communication from their head office than we, the paying passengers.

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

From Cunard’s fb 

We know many of you are interested in the current whereabouts of our ships, so the following information should be helpful. Today, Wednesday 18 March, Cunard ships are in the following locations: 

Queen Mary 2 is crossing the Indian Ocean towards Mauritius on passage back to Southampton, estimated arrival 11 April. 

Queen Elizabeth has disembarked all guests and is staying in Australian waters. 

Queen Victoria has sailed from Port Everglades and is on her way across the Atlantic back to Southampton, due to arrive on 26 March.

17 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Thanks for those replies. I had seen the facebook post from March 16 stating "we can confirm that ... Queen Elizabeth will remain in Australia." Somehow missed that later post from the morning of March 18 (my time) stating "Queen Elizabeth ... is staying in Australian waters." Will continue to operate under the assumption that she is indeed planning to remain in Australia until there is firm evidence or an announcement to the contrary.

18 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Thanks for those replies. I had seen the facebook post from March 16 stating "we can confirm that ... Queen Elizabeth will remain in Australia." Somehow missed that later post from the morning of March 18 (my time) stating "Queen Elizabeth ... is staying in Australian waters." Will continue to operate under the assumption that she is indeed planning to remain in Australia until there is firm evidence or an announcement to the contrary.

Apart from anything else, Southampton is going to be full, given how many cruise ships are ‘based’ there.

I just got an email off Cunard entitle An IMportant Update to Our Flexible Booking Policy. But I'm not sure there's anything different? Or has the FCC gone down from 125% to 110%?

Cancelling your holiday.
New cancellation policy as of 19 March 2020.

Please see our new temporary policy here. This policy enables you to cancel your holiday up to 48 hours before departure and benefit from an enhanced Future Cruise Credit offer or cancel under our original terms. As you're booked on a Cunard voyage sailing before 31 August 2020, you still may cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure. The new terms apply to all guests, including British Nationals aged 70 or over and people with underlying health conditions.

This new policy supersedes any information you may have received over the last few days. If you have already submitted a transfer or cancellation based on the previous policy before today, we will honour this and we will be in touch with confirmation in due course.

As you can appreciate we’re dealing with an unprecedented volume of calls and we're having to prioritise in order of departure date. Please bear with us and do visit our social media channels and website for the latest updates. If you would like to transfer or take advantage of our enhanced Future Cruise Credit offer please let us know via this web form. If you have booked through a travel agent, please contact them directly.

We truly value your support at this difficult time and hope that our more flexible policies and enhanced Future Cruise Credit show you our commitment to helping you have the voyage you're looking forward to, be it this year or later. Whenever you choose to travel, we look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Edited by Ray66

Guest SilverHengroen
3 hours ago, IB2 said:

Apart from anything else, Southampton is going to be full, given how many cruise ships are ‘based’ there.

Looks like quite a few small/ medium sized ships have been moved to Tilbury docks for their mothballing, I wonder if this is to leave room in Southampton for the larger ships to be moored, or just because they want to try and leave big, deep water docks free for what continuing operations there will be? Saga's Spirit of Discovery and Saga Sapphire, Viking Cruises' Viking Star, C&Ms Astoria are all there already. P&Os Aurora is also heading 'somewhere' now, though still showing destination as GBSOU. 

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

She  appears to be staying - currently heading up the Queensland coast. However Australia will close their borders to everyone except Australian permanent residents and citizens (with a few exceptions) tomorrow. I don't think many will be flying in to cruise on her anytime soon. 

Edited by lissie

14 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

It is what it says.  For cruises before 11 April (I.e. those actually cancelled), they are “offering you” FCC.  You still have the opportunity to claim a refund, but they are keeping this in the small print and you have to send in the forfeit form to qualify.  For later cruises - I.e. those not actually cancelled (but surely will be), the terms as set down apply, which give more flexibility about changes but penalise you, as normal, if you cancel.

So if you have a later booking, wait for them to cancel, and pay any balance as necessary.  Provided you book through a protected route you’ll get your money back, eventually.

37 minutes ago, IB2 said:

It is what it says.  For cruises before 11 April (I.e. those actually cancelled), they are “offering you” FCC.  You still have the opportunity to claim a refund, but they are keeping this in the small print and you have to send in the forfeit form to qualify.  For later cruises - I.e. those not actually cancelled (but surely will be), the terms as set down apply, which give more flexibility about changes but penalise you, as normal, if you cancel.

So if you have a later booking, wait for them to cancel, and pay any balance as necessary.  Provided you book through a protected route you’ll get your money back, eventually.

Ok, I can’t see anything about a refund 😞

basically we’re due for a cruise 2nd May and ideally we’d like as much as refund (as I don’t think my friends would ever go again at this rate esp as they are older!).

so my dilemma is to take the 40% refund now OR wait until it’s likely to be cancelled nearer the time (considering they may just offer credit OR go bankrupt by then!) 

any informed advice/opinions would be great. Thanks so much! 🙂

9 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

Ok, I can’t see anything about a refund 😞

basically we’re due for a cruise 2nd May and ideally we’d like as much as refund (as I don’t think my friends would ever go again at this rate esp as they are older!).

so my dilemma is to take the 40% refund now OR wait until it’s likely to be cancelled nearer the time (considering they may just offer credit OR go bankrupt by then!) 

any informed advice/opinions would be great. Thanks so much! 🙂

I’d wait for them to cancel.  If they cancel, you are entitled to a refund, even though they will make you jump through hoops, and wait, to get it.  You can’t blame them, they must be draining cash at the moment.

Provided you book through a protected route (i.e. with them directly, or through an ABTA/ATOL agent) you are protected, even if exercising that will mean more hoops and more time.   Plus you have travel insurance as a backstop.

The only reason to cancel early is if you think the price of the cancellation penalty is worth suffering in order to get the rest of your money back sooner and put the whole thing behind you.  That’s up to you.

Edited by IB2
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, IB2 said:

Pay the balance and wait for them to cancel.  If they cancel, you are entitled to a refund, even though they will make you jump through hoops, and wait, to get it.  You can’t blame them, they must be draining cash at the moment.

Provided you book through a protected route (i.e. with them directly, or through an ABTA/ATOL agent) you are protected, even if exercising that will mean more hoops and more time.   Plus you have travel insurance as a backstop.

The only reason to cancel early is if you think the price of the cancellation penalty is worth suffering in order to get the rest of your money back sooner and put the whole thing behind you.  That’s up to you.

Oh wow! Thanks so much! Much appreciated.

the only thing is if the cruise does go ahead then I’ll be stuck with a ton of credit (im guessing it’s non transferable as id probably use theirs!) haha xo

3 hours ago, Ray66 said:

I just got an email off Cunard entitle An IMportant Update to Our Flexible Booking Policy. But I'm not sure there's anything different? Or has the FCC gone down from 125% to 110%?

Cancelling your holiday.
New cancellation policy as of 19 March 2020.

Please see our new temporary policy here. This policy enables you to cancel your holiday up to 48 hours before departure and benefit from an enhanced Future Cruise Credit offer or cancel under our original terms. As you're booked on a Cunard voyage sailing before 31 August 2020, you still may cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure. The new terms apply to all guests, including British Nationals aged 70 or over and people with underlying health conditions.

This new policy supersedes any information you may have received over the last few days. If you have already submitted a transfer or cancellation based on the previous policy before today, we will honour this and we will be in touch with confirmation in due course.

As you can appreciate we’re dealing with an unprecedented volume of calls and we're having to prioritise in order of departure date. Please bear with us and do visit our social media channels and website for the latest updates. If you would like to transfer or take advantage of our enhanced Future Cruise Credit offer please let us know via this web form. If you have booked through a travel agent, please contact them directly.

We truly value your support at this difficult time and hope that our more flexible policies and enhanced Future Cruise Credit show you our commitment to helping you have the voyage you're looking forward to, be it this year or later. Whenever you choose to travel, we look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

US terms are now worse, 100% only.  I really wish they would harmonize the regional policies, it's already a lot to keep up with and people are easily misinformed.

image.png

Edited by alc13

15 hours ago, LucyLu10 said:

I've been following Cunard's Posts on "Flexible Booking" on their US site. As of Mar 12th, the policy on cancellations for voyages sailing on or before 8/31/2020 could be cancelled up to 48 hours beforehand for FCC on non refundable portion.  (I even made a PDF of it) If you will check on the US site now, that policy only applies on voyages sailing...before 7/31/2020.  Whereas their GB site remains with the 8/31/2020 date.  This is critical for those in the US who will be due to pay the full amount in April.  One could hope this is a mistake that will be corrected but I doubt it.  I went into "My Cunard" to ensure my email was current, however was unable to access anything, much less my email or other contact details, though it did recognize my booking number and name.

I had been prepared to "hang in there" for our back-to-back voyages, the first of which was on 31 July and the second one on 14 August. But when I saw that discrepancy I had second thoughts. An e-mail from our travel insurance company, written in plain English and not the usual solicitor-written terms in the policy, made it clear we had to cancel. With the Canadian Government issuing an advisory against travel by cruise ship, then another advisory to avoid travel outside the country, the cancellation portion of the insurance would be invalid for any new bookings made or further payments made to an existing booking.

Fortunately we had made deposits for both of these voyages with Future Cruise Deposits so there is no refund of money.  We can always re-book these voyages if they go ahead and if the advisories are lifted.

Further update on Cunard fb

We know many of you are interested in the current locations of our ships, so the following information should be helpful. Today, Thursday 19 March, our Cunard ships are in the following locations: 

Queen Elizabeth has disembarked all guests and is currently anchored at the Port of Gladstone. 

Queen Mary 2 is crossing the Indian Ocean on passage back to Southampton, due to arrive 11 April and berth at the QEII terminal. 

Queen Victoria has sailed from Port Everglades and is on her way across the Atlantic back to Southampton, due to arrive 26 March. She will berth at the QEII Terminal before relocating to anchorage at Portland.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ray66 said:

I just got an email off Cunard entitle An IMportant Update to Our Flexible Booking Policy. But I'm not sure there's anything different? Or has the FCC gone down from 125% to 110%? ...

Here is what I am seeing for what has changed in the new UK Flexible booking policy. Please correct me if I have misunderstood any of this.

First of all, nothing has changed for the voyages that Cunard has already cancelled (through April 11). They are still offering either a full refund or 125% FCC.

The significant changes are in the cancellation schedules for those voyages that Cunard has not yet cancelled (up to August 31). The previous flexible booking terms offered a refund of the refundable portion of the fare plus FCC in the amount of the non-refundable portion. For reference, here is the previous flexible booking terms cancellation schedule for Cunard and Early Saver Fares which is no longer in effect (highlighting mine).

Cunard Fare and Early Saver Fare.

Period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received by Cunard

Original cancellation charges
Percentage of total fare charged

New Temporary Policy (assuming voyage paid for in full by required date)
Percentage of total fare refunded and FCC applied:

From the date of booking until 91 days before departure

100% of deposit

FCC given to value of deposit

90 to 57 days

50% of fare

Refund 50%; FCC 50%

56 to 42 days

60% of fare

Refund 40%; FCC 60%

41 to 16 days

75% of fare

Refund 25%; FCC 75%

15 to 6 days

90% of fare

Refund 10%; FCC 90%

5 to 2 days

100% of fare

Refund 0%; FCC 100%

Less than 2 days

100% of fare

Refund 0%; FCC 0%

Here is what the new UK flexible booking terms cancellation schedule looks like for voyages departing from April 12 to August 31 (highlighting mine).

For all fare types.

Period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received by Cunard

Original cancellation charges
Percentage of total fare charged

Updated Temporary Policy (assuming voyage paid for in full by required date)
FCC applied

From the date of booking until 91 days before departure

100% of deposit

FCC given to value of deposit

90 to 57 days

50% of fare

110% FCC

56 to 42 days

60% of fare

110% FCC

41 to 16 days

75% of fare

110% FCC

15 to 6 days

90% of fare

110% FCC

5 to 2 days

100% of fare

110% FCC

Less than 2 days

100% of fare

0% FCC

So essentially, if you now decide in the UK to cancel a voyage departing up to August 31 under their flexible booking terms, they have sweetened the offer to 110% of the total fare paid, but the catch is you get that all in FCC, none of it is refunded to you anymore.

Nothing similar has been posted on the US site yet. As alc13 indicated, the flexible booking terms as stated on the US site are still "Canceled bookings will receive a Future Cruise Credit equivalent to the cancelation fees and refunds will be given on any remaining funds paid." Also, the cutoff date for cancellations in the US is still July 31 rather than August 31 as it is in the UK.

Edited by bluemarble