Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

Thanks everyone who replied to my earlier question.  Having read the conditions again  (as it stands) we have to make a decision of what to do before we pay the balance which is due in mid-June for October?

I had thought that we could pay the balance and then make a decision nearer the time but clearly this is not an option?

I read  talk about trips in the Spring. For Cunard NYC is a very important port and I live here not that far from the port. Things here will not be back to normal anytime soon. If things don't start to at least level off we are looking at a shelter in place order. Right now all bars and restaurants are closed, lots of stores, Macy's, and they are trying to build emergency hospital expecting a big surge.

1 hour ago, hypercafe said:

I read  talk about trips in the Spring. For Cunard NYC is a very important port and I live here not that far from the port. Things here will not be back to normal anytime soon. If things don't start to at least level off we are looking at a shelter in place order. Right now all bars and restaurants are closed, lots of stores, Macy's, and they are trying to build emergency hospital expecting a big surge.

I agree.   I can't see how those cruises can sail.  Cunard does seem to be dragging their corporate feet over canceling them.  They may be hoping for more passenger cancellations, because they would rather owe FCCs than cash refunds.  Or they may just be slow in making complex decisions. 

There is an old expression about decision making, something about the Queen Mary taking quite a while to execute a turn.  Who would know better than Cunard!

14 hours ago, Vogatrice said:

It's a lot simpler in our case. If the westbound TA leaves Southampton on May 6, I'm optimistic our May 13 eastbound would go too. If she doesn't leave Southampton as scheduled, she ain't gonna be in New York for us to embark. I'll wait until they cancel on me, but I don't think we're going anywhere in May. I've paid a new deposit for December, but it's refundable and I'm not holding my breath for any 2020 sailings.

This will be over in a couple of months. By May there will be mass production of a cure and vaccine. By June the airlines and cruise lines will be starting up and the world will be returning to normal. 

Yes, it looks bleak right now but people need perspective. Cunard, like most other travel companies, will be back before we know it. 

3 minutes ago, Austcruiser84 said:

This will be over in a couple of months. By May there will be mass production of a cure and vaccine. By June the airlines and cruise lines will be starting up and the world will be returning to normal. 

Yes, it looks bleak right now but people need perspective. Cunard, like most other travel companies, will be back before we know it. 

I agree that things will one day return to normal. But not so quickly.  A vaccine has to be identified, tested for safety, tested for effectiveness, and then produced in sufficient quantities.  Each of these three steps is likely to take six months and even if corners are cut we’re talking about 2021 before any can be rolled out in sufficient volume. And my guess is that cruising will be the very last industry to resume normal trading.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IB2 said:

I agree that things will one day return to normal. But not so quickly.  A vaccine has to be identified, tested for safety, tested for effectiveness, and then produced in sufficient quantities.  Each of these three steps is likely to take six months and even if corners are cut we’re talking about 2021 before any can be rolled out in sufficient volume. And my guess is that cruising will be the very last industry to resume normal trading.

And probably not without the help of government bailouts.  You are right that both cures and vaccines need testing and then manufacturing scale-up before they will be available for broad use.

1 minute ago, IB2 said:

Major economies are already in talks about wartime production style approach to manufacturing a cure and vaccine. Scientists have already moved to trials of a cure and it really is a matter of two months. 

The Queen Mary 2 will be back to plying the Atlantic by June 21st. 

4 minutes ago, Austcruiser84 said:

Major economies are already in talks about wartime production style approach to manufacturing a cure and vaccine. Scientists have already moved to trials of a cure and it really is a matter of two months. 

Dream on.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/when-will-a-coronavirus-vaccine-be-ready

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, IB2 said:

I’ll rest easy knowing dreams come true. Just as I was right when Cunard moved QE to Australia and Alaska, so too will I be vindicated come June. 

Peddling doom and gloom I’ll leave to the Tabloids and hoarders of bog roll...

Something to consider, as things improve in April and May, fingers crossed, this will not just disappear overnight. How many people will want to travel on a cruise ship so soon a how many ports will want thousands of people arriving over night?

Cunard has announced cancellations only through April 11, but the Cruise Lines International Association, of which Cunard is a member, has announced that all members have "suspended operations from the US" for 30 days effective March 14.  This appears to include Cunard departures from the US scheduled for April 12, if any (but maybe there aren't any).

The announcement is posted at www.cruising.org.

10 minutes ago, hypercafe said:

Something to consider, as things improve in April and May, fingers crossed, this will not just disappear overnight. How many people will want to travel on a cruise ship so soon a how many ports will want thousands of people arriving over night?

That is why I say cruising will be the absolute last industry to return to normal.  The length of time people spend on board, the close quarters environment and recirculating of air, the lack of full medical facilities on board and the demographic profile of the passenger base mean that it’s exceptionally high risk.  Ports aren’t going to welcome in cruise ships again until there’s a global all clear. 

I also expect cruise ships themselves will have to make some changes.  For example beefing up their medical facilities, introducing proper air filtration of the air conditioning like they have on planes, enhanced passenger screening and prohibitions on taking passengers who already have significant underlying medical conditions.  All this will take time.

Edited by IB2
+

16 minutes ago, hypercafe said:

Plus in the UK coronavirus is now excluded from new insurance policies (and possibly excluded from new bookings?). Can't see anyone booking a cruise without that cover for some time.

5 minutes ago, IB2 said:

That is why I say cruising will be the absolute last industry to return to normal.  The length of time people spend on board, the close quarters environment and recirculating of air, the lack of full medical facilities on board and the demographic profile of the passenger base mean that it’s exceptionally high risk.  Ports aren’t going to welcome in cruise ships again until there’s a global all clear. 

Something else, people's disposable income. Who knows how the world economy will be afterwards. A month ago I was happy to spend 9k on a week trip on the QM, now not so much and I am retired. How about a person who just had their business shut down?

2 hours ago, Neuhoftraveler said:

Cunard has announced cancellations only through April 11, but the Cruise Lines International Association, of which Cunard is a member, has announced that all members have "suspended operations from the US" for 30 days effective March 14.  This appears to include Cunard departures from the US scheduled for April 12, if any (but maybe there aren't any).

The announcement is posted at www.cruising.org.

Cunard may want start running cruises from April 11th, but as most borders will still be closed, they will have nowhere to go. realistically I can not see any cruises running until July / august at the earliest and then they will only have passengers if they drop the prices to the $30- 50 per night level

2 hours ago, Austcruiser84 said:

I admire your optimism, amid all this pessimism, selfishness and greed.

Necessity is the mother of invention.
Cometh the the hour, cometh the man (or woman).
Necessity makes the frog jump.

When the going gets tough...

18 hours ago, D&N said:

As I think Bluemarble pointed out earlier, QE is currently off East coast of Australia heading north slowly "Awaiting Orders".

It looks like they intend to try and find a berth for her somewhere in the Pacific so she'll be in a better position to restart the Alaska season. Obviously that depends on if and when the authorities permit them to restart.

They are keeping us guessing about QE's plans aren't they? After sailing at around 10 knots for most of yesterday, she's picked up speed to 15+ knots for the past 7 hours or so, has sailed past Brisbane, and based on her current heading, it looks to me like she may well be planning to turn northwest and continue along the coast of Queensland. Still "Awaiting Orders" as her destination.

10 hours ago, babs135 said:

Thanks everyone who replied to my earlier question.  Having read the conditions again  (as it stands) we have to make a decision of what to do before we pay the balance which is due in mid-June for October?

I had thought that we could pay the balance and then make a decision nearer the time but clearly this is not an option?

My cruise was cancelled a month ago on 19 Feb. We received an email from Cunard saying that the cruise was cancelled and that we would receive a refund of the fare ($20,000) . It has gone awfully quiet since then and both TA and Cunard are basically saying "Don't call us - we are too busy"!!  Emails to both TA and Cunard asking about the when and how of the refund have not been answered. I would be very careful about paying Cunard any further cash moneys at this time!!!!!

I've been following Cunard's Posts on "Flexible Booking" on their US site. As of Mar 12th, the policy on cancellations for voyages sailing on or before 8/31/2020 could be cancelled up to 48 hours beforehand for FCC on non refundable portion.  (I even made a PDF of it) If you will check on the US site now, that policy only applies on voyages sailing...before 7/31/2020.  Whereas their GB site remains with the 8/31/2020 date.  This is critical for those in the US who will be due to pay the full amount in April.  One could hope this is a mistake that will be corrected but I doubt it.  I went into "My Cunard" to ensure my email was current, however was unable to access anything, much less my email or other contact details, though it did recognize my booking number and name.

Edited by LucyLu10

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

They are keeping us guessing about QE's plans aren't they? After sailing at around 10 knots for most of yesterday, she's picked up speed to 15+ knots for the past 7 hours or so, has sailed past Brisbane, and based on her current heading, it looks to me like she may well be planning to turn northwest and continue along the coast of Queensland. Still "Awaiting Orders" as her destination.

Yes, as at 6.40a AEST, QE is about 50k off Fraser Island Queensland, 356 degrees at 16.2 knots, and still "awaiting orders".  Whereever she's headed, she's in a bigger hurry than yesterday when speed was only 8 or 9 knots at times.

I had sort of hoped that Brisbane would be the lay-up port.  Lots of dock and anchor space, good access to supplies and maintenance, and an international airport to fly in crew when times improve and Cunard wants to restart operations.  Queensland gets much less populated as she heads further north.  The ports are mostly for iron, gas and coal export and except for the area around Cairns, not really designed for large passenger ships.

25 minutes ago, LucyLu10 said:

I've been following Cunard's Posts on "Flexible Booking" on their US site. As of Mar 12th, the policy on cancellations for voyages sailing on or before 8/31/2020 could be cancelled up to 48 hours beforehand for FCC on non refundable portion.  (I even made a PDF of it) If you will check on the US site now, that policy only applies on voyages sailing...before 7/31/2020.  Whereas their GB site remains with the 8/31/2020 date.  This is critical for those in the US who will be due to pay the full amount in April.  One could hope this is a mistake that will be corrected but I doubt it.  I went into "My Cunard" to ensure my email was current, however was unable to access anything, much less my email or other contact details, though it did recognize my booking number and name.

My cruise is Sept 11 so my only option is to cancel before May 14, unless they extend the final pay date. Not anxious to give them $9000.00. Princess has a similar cruise that leaves a day after so that is my other option. Princess does not require I pay until. July 11. 

44 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

My cruise was cancelled a month ago on 19 Feb. We received an email from Cunard saying that the cruise was cancelled and that we would receive a refund of the fare ($20,000) . It has gone awfully quiet since then and both TA and Cunard are basically saying "Don't call us - we are too busy"!!  Emails to both TA and Cunard asking about the when and how of the refund have not been answered. I would be very careful about paying Cunard any further cash moneys at this time!!!!!

I had an email overnight re our cancelled 15/3 cruise and as we want a full refund, it states that Cunard could take up to 10 weeks to refund! I do feel for you having all that money outstanding! They are all very quick to take our money but very slow giving it back.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LucyLu10 said:

LucyLu10, here is what I posted shortly after the "Flexible booking terms" were first posted on the Cunard US website on March 12th. That difference in cancellation dates (July 31st for the US versus August 31st for the UK) was the main difference I noticed when I first saw the policy posted on the US website.

On 3/12/2020 at 8:24 PM, bluemarble said:

Comparing the "Flexible booking terms" between the Cunard UK and US websites, most things look the same.

One difference is the date through which voyages may be cancelled to receive FCC. Not sure why they would have different cutoff dates between the UK and US, but here is what they say (emphasis mine).

The UK website states

"If you’re booked on a Cunard voyage sailing before 31 August 2020, you may now cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure."

The US website states

"If you’re booked on a Cunard voyage sailing through July 31, 2020, you may now cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure."

Another difference I see is there is no "Transfer your booking" section on the US website. The FAQ section on the US page does mention "You can transfer your voyage to a different voyage free of charge. This option is available until July 31, 2020."

The July 31st cutoff date for US cancellations is also the date mentioned in an email I received from Cunard at 6:10pm on March 12th. Here is a copy and paste from that March 12th email.

Cancelling your voyage.

Applicable to voyages departing through 31 July 2020.

Should you wish to cancel your voyage, you’ll be pleased to know we’ve temporarily relaxed our cancellation policy given the circumstances. Here’s a guide to what you need to know:

• If you’re booked on a Cunard voyage sailing before 31 July 2020, you may now cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure.

• Cancelled bookings will receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) equivalent to the cancellation fees and refunds will be given on any remaining monies paid.

• Your Future Cruise Credit can be used on bookings made up to the end of next year (31 December 2021) and can be redeemed against any Cunard voyage sailing until the end of March 2022.

So, if you saw an August 31st cutoff date for cancellations posted on the US website, it would appear that was soon "corrected" to July 31st. Not that any of this really helps with your situation. Just saying that date for US cancellations wasn't changed to July 31st within the last few days.