Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

2 hours ago, longton said:

My cruise Cape Town to Southampton on QM2 is cancelled. It was due to depart 1st April.

In the cancellation email I was offered FCC of 125% for cruises booked before 31 December 2020.

On Cunard.com it now states:

If you have a Cunard voyage booked that was due to depart prior to 11 April 2020, we’re very sorry to have to cancel your plans. We are pleased to offer you a 125% Future Cruise Credit to be used for a new future cruise sailing any time before the end of March 2022 – simply book by 31 December 2021. 

Contradictory messages.

We were due to sail on the same from Cape Town and have received the same email. We don't want a FCC we just want our money back. Cunard won't allow us to use the FCC against any of the 3 cruises in 2021 & 2022 that we've put deposits on so why would we want another cruise. We've booked the only cruises that were of interest and have no time this year even if travel restrictions are lifted to take another cruise. 

Fortunately we had booked through a TA so it is in their court to refund us under their ABTA insurance. We will be lodging a claim through our own insurers and the credit card company that we used to pay for the cruise as well. 

In for the the long haul but hopefully we will eventually get our money back from someone. 

1 hour ago, alc13 said:

Just received email here in the US that Cunard is suspending operations until April 11.  The website has been updated, too.  QM2 and QV are returning to Southampton.  QE seems to be staying in AU.

Correction - the email link goes to the (fully informative) UK site.  The US site has not been updated.

US site is updated now.  A relief to have consistent information, finally.

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I'm pretty sure they know that anyway ...

I seriously doubt there is anything that Cruise Critic can do except keep people informed.

However please contact community@cruisecritic.com if you want to discuss it.

lololol

thanks Hattie, those posts really made me laugh and your response was apt.....

come on guys get a grip...this is unprecedented, in my mind Cunard has responded appropriately and is doing Im sure all it can to resolve any issues that it has to deal with. Patience is a virtue and Im sure in the end it will all come out in the wash. 

I wish all those in Perth the best for getting home safely, its a great city, I hope you can all make the best of the situation and are home before too long.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, sfred said:

After the cancellation of QE's 15 March sailing from Sydney yesterday, I see on marinetraffic.com that she is southbound at 13.4 knots off the NSW coast this morning.  Destination is vague -- "bass straight" in grey type.  Does anyone know where she is going?   

You may have noticed QE reversed course about four hours ago off of Green Cape and is heading back north. That, combined with Cunard's statement about QE suspending her Australia itineraries (rather than returning to Southampton like QV and QM2), leads me to believe Cunard is still trying to salvage QE's later Australia voyages. Hopefully the Australian Circumnavigation departing April 12 might still happen. We can hope anyway for the sake of those of you on that voyage.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, roscoe39 said:

lololol

thanks Hattie, those posts really made me laugh and your response was apt.....

come on guys get a grip...this is unprecedented, in my mind Cunard has responded appropriately and is doing Im sure all it can to resolve any issues that it has to deal with. Patience is a virtue and Im sure in the end it will all come out in the wash. 

I wish all those in Perth the best for getting home safely, its a great city, I hope you can all make the best of the situation and are home before too long.

At last - a proportionate and sensible response. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

You may have noticed QE reversed course about four hours ago off of Green Cape and is heading back north. That, combined with Cunard's statement about QE suspending her Australia itineraries (rather than returning to Southampton like QV and QM2), leads me to believe Cunard is still trying to salvage QE's later Australia voyages. Hopefully the Australian Circumnavigation departing April 12 might still happen. We can hope anyway for the sake of those of you on that voyage.

Just got off the phone from our TA. 

As we are coming from the UK we would have to self isolate for 14 days prior to embarking but as far as Cunard are concerned the cruise is still going ahead as there maybe changes to the 14 day rule before arrival. Where and how we would do that I have no idea. 

It strikes me that Cunard (and P&O) , presumably on the instruction of Carnival Corp, are waiting until they absolutely have to to cancel cruises and refund money. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

It would be nice for those involved if you're right.

I suspect they've just managed to arrange berthing somewhere between Australia and Alaska, rather than return to UK.

The QE's summer season is all Alaska and extra cost of returning to UK and then getting back to North Pacific would be substantial.  The other 2 ships are due to operate in Atlantic, Baltic etc for summer, so are best back in UK.

Got an email from Cunard saying they had been trying to contact us. Must have been ringing UK, even though I changed number to South African phone in voyage personaliser ages ago.

Given the uncertainty and South African government announced that they would be banning people from the UK entering country from Wednesday onwards. 

Decided planes may not be running for much longer.

So booked to leave asap on Friday with BA

Will sort out refunds when we get home. Luckily  didn't need Cunard to help with flights

Cunard have just told us our cruise around Alaska from Vancouver in June is still going ahead! 😮  That is despite Canada banning all cruises until July???     Not impressed, presume they are hoping we pay the balance due tomorrow!

Edited by larrythelabrador

48 minutes ago, larrythelabrador said:

Cunard have just told us our cruise around Alaska from Vancouver in June is still going ahead! 😮  That is despite Canada banning all cruises until July???     Not impressed, presume they are hoping we pay the balance due tomorrow!

Wow!  Way to go Cunard. Not the best way to build customer confidence.

Edited by samiam1
  • Like 1

Not sure if everyone has seen this form yet on the Cunard websites to apply for a refund on cancelled voyages (through April 11) instead of the 125% Future Cruise Credit. The link is found in the FAQ from the "COVID-19 – Keeping you updated" page, within the answer to this question.

(Q) I don’t want an FCC, I would like a refund?

(A) We very much hope that you will take the 125% future cruise credit and enjoy a holiday on board with us.  However if this does not meet your needs and you would like to forfeit the 125% FCC we are happy to give you the amount of monies paid on your booking.  We ask that you use the online form if you are requesting a refund if you booked your cruise/voyage through us or a travel agent.

This online form is called "Forfeit of 125% Future Cruise Credit."

For those is the US, here is the link to the form. https://www.cunard.com/en-us/media-contacts

For those in the UK, here is the link to the form. https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/media-contacts

For those in Australia, here is the link to the form. https://www.cunard.com/en-au/request

I don't know how well this actually works, since I don't have a booking on a voyage that's been cancelled (yet). Just mentioning this in case it might help those looking to obtain a refund rather than an FCC on the cruises that have been cancelled so far.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

This online form is called "Forfeit of 125% Future Cruise Credit."

"Forfeit"???  The only word for this desperate attempt of the marketers to discourage applications for cash refund is, "disgusting."  Is pitchmen all they have in that company, not crisis communications managers?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Neuhoftraveler said:

"Forfeit"???  The only word for this desperate attempt of the marketers to discourage applications for cash refund is, "disgusting."  Is pitchmen all they have in that company, not crisis communications managers?

Yeah, I thought "Forfeit" was a rather unfortunate choice of words as well.

7 minutes ago, Neuhoftraveler said:

I think they are fighting for their fiscal lives and want to hold on to as much cash as they can, which from their POV is completely understandable.  Costs continue to be incurred for overhead, ships and crews, despite little (no?) new revenue flowing in.  Yeah, I'd be doing everything I can to discourage refunds too.  It's not about "pitching", it's about surviving.  

Edited by ClipperinSFO

Thanks for all the useful info people are posting here. I’m certain my April 16th Atlantic Coast adventure will be cancelled and they are doing them in stages to reduce workload on the poor telephone operators. I will go for refund as the 125% fcc isn’t much use with the new booking criteria. Plus I work for an airline and enforced unpaid leave is on the table so the cash will be handy.

15 minutes ago, siforest65 said:

Thanks for all the useful info people are posting here. I’m certain my April 16th Atlantic Coast adventure will be cancelled and they are doing them in stages to reduce workload on the poor telephone operators. I will go for refund as the 125% fcc isn’t much use with the new booking criteria. Plus I work for an airline and enforced unpaid leave is on the table so the cash will be handy.

Same cruise, also waiting for a cancellation and full refund.  Your theory about canceling them in stages makes sense.  I'd thought they were hoping Spain would reopen its ports in April and they could then complete the cruise, although that seems unlikely.  Sorry you are facing unpaid leave, not good.

18 minutes ago, siforest65 said:

I am sure it will, to avoid the risk that you get more adventure than you have paid for.

I don't know about everyone else but I am certainly taking note off all the companies (Cunard and Cunard's insurance company included) that I have booked w/ and taking note of how they have handled the cancellation policies. If you have already cancelled (even if only by a day) and they end up cancelling your trip later (May/June) you only get the FCC (assuming you can use it).

I get companies are trying to save $ and face, and it's not their fault anymore than it is ours. But when you have Pandemic/World Travel Bans/ Lockdowns in the places you were suppose to visit they should have a heart and refund. It doesn't cost them a dime b/c they technically haven't provided you a service yet.  Interestingly enough all the small businesses have been the most kind in refunds/fees. They are certainly the ones that I will make sure I use when I re-book after all this mess is over. The larger companies especially the who have the most $ are the most hateful and will NEVER see another dime of mine again. 

I do feel bad for those currently stuck trying to figure out how to get home. Once that is taken care of I just hope Cunard and others remember their other passengers (current & future) too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Thanks for the link to the form.

Filled in

Response says your refund will be processed in 45 days , unacceptably slow. When I get back to UK will get on the phone

They sure are quick to take it... figures they will delay returning it. You can't even file other insurance yet until you know for sure you have been / will be refunded. 

• Like 1

My mother is stuck in Perth staying at the Novotel, due to the sudden ending of the QM2 world cruise at Fremantle. She was told Cunard would arrange her flight back to the UK, but on the Monday was given a letter under her door with a flight on Qatar Airways with my sisters name as the passenger instead of her (she only shared my mothers cabin on the Sydney to Fremantle segment and is already back home in Sydney.)

When my mother went to the pursers desk, she was simply told it had been booked like that in Southampton, and no apologies or anything. When it came to leaving the ship no one helped her with her luggage, the coach she was on went to the wrong hotel and simply left people there. The luggage went to the Novotel, finally my mother was told she should be at the Novotel. She got a taxi there as there was no one to take her from the other hotel.

She spent ages trying to locate her luggage, finally she and other passenger found all the bags dumped outside the back of the hotel!

I believe she spoke to a "Cunard rep" who was at the Novotel, but still has heard nothing about a flight back to the UK in her name.

it is absolutely a shambles. 

I have tried phoning Cunard at Southampton but no one is picking up the phone to deal with this urgent situation, also left messages on their flights and complaints website queries.

Does anyone happen to know a phone number I could call in Southampton  other than their customer service line, who can escalate this?

Well I have cruised 25 trips on Princess and my first upcoming on Cunard was to be Sept 11. Princess has cancelled all cruises for 60 days. Cunard only 30. Princess allows final payment 60; days out while Cunard still demands 120 days and loss of deposit if not cancelled before May 14 th. I am not impressed and watching this closely. 

So they think Cruising can go on as normal in 30 days? I was looking forward to the Princess Grill but that is fading. I think Cunard is in trouble financially or management is doing a poor job. 

• Like 1

I just noticed this faux pas on the Cunard US website on their "Flexible booking terms" page (highlighting mine). I realize they are trying to move quickly to get this information out to us, but it is still rather important to get the details right. At least the Cunard UK website appears to have avoided this mistake.

Existing bookings impacted by our temporary suspension.

For bookings departing before April 11, 2020, and departing before August 31, 2020.

For all guests impacted by our temporary suspension, we are offering you a Future Cruise Credit of 125%. Your Future Cruise Credit can be used for a new booking made before December 31, 2021, and can be redeemed against any Cunard voyage sailing before March 31, 2022.

Edit: I suppose logically speaking the only bookings departing before April 11, 2020 and also departing before August 31, 2020 are only those bookings departing before April 11, 2020. But still...

Edited by bluemarble