Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

13 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Agree but financially I have bet the farm on the world cruise and have no further funds short of a social security check which covers expenses back home. Could not pay for any living anywhere else. Maybe foolish but who knew.

Is this a hypothetical question or are you currently in this situation ?

7 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

that would not be a plane you would care to be on with me. Pretty much a snowflake when it comes to riding in an aluminum can filled with others and landing it at 300 miles an hour on old tires.

I believe the cruise line would say here is the plane, if you don't want to go good luck. Roy said same passengers unfit to fly can stay onboard. Before you go get a certificate from a doctor, very legal, saying you are unfit to fly. How do you plan to go RT to from the trip from New Hampshire,?

Some Canadian Travel insurance companies have started to let policy holders know they have 10 days (or as long as it takes to get back to Canada) before their policies are no longer in effect. My sister got the notice today from her company today (went to Florida in November, wasn't due back until April.) This is in response the Federal Government global travel advisory to avoid non-essential travel. 

Waiting this out overseas may not be an option. 

https://www.rto-ero.org/prepared

Edited by CanadianKate

2 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Here is what appear to be a silly question. What about a person such as myself that has never flown in my 80 plus years of life and refuses to get on a plane. Do they truss me up and toss me on, where I could create a panic incident. do they put me up in the country they have now dumped me in on their dime . Interesting question, Probably no answer as there are very few of us but we do exist and that is why we cruise when we travel.

They are not going to "put you up" where they have "dumped you" on their dime. Maybe a night or two in a hotel until your flight leaves. But not indefinitely. That would be on you, and who knows how long it would be until you could get a ship home? Unless you have a medical reason for not flying, you may have no choice but to fly home.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hypercafe said:

I believe the cruise line would say here is the plane, if you don't want to go good luck. Roy said same passengers unfit to fly can stay onboard. Before you go get a certificate from a doctor, very legal, saying you are unfit to fly. How do you plan to go RT to from the trip from New Hampshire,?

I think you're right. The cruise line will arrange flights and that's all they will do.

To attempt to answer your question, Amtrak serves most eastern port cities and New Hampshire/Vermont stations.

1 hour ago, hypercafe said:

Amtrak back and forth and auto.

26 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

They are not going to "put you up" where they have "dumped you" on their dime. Maybe a night or two in a hotel until your flight leaves. But not indefinitely. That would be on you, and who knows how long it would be until you could get a ship home? Unless you have a medical reason for not flying, you may have no choice but to fly home.

Well i suppose well liquored up the panic of flying might reside until say mid flight from S Africa to Boston then they might have to divert the plane as I attempted to open the door or something else. Not a flyer and those who hit the lottery of flying with me would certainly have a memorable experience.

24 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Well i suppose well liquored up the panic of flying might reside until say mid flight from S Africa to Boston then they might have to divert the plane as I attempted to open the door or something else. Not a flyer and those who hit the lottery of flying with me would certainly have a memorable experience.

You might want to evaluate freighter travel as an option, if that is even still possible.  (With thanks to @Heidi13 for her links over in the Freighter thread.

http://www.freightervoyages.eu/Ship Types.htm

https://www.freighterexpeditions.com.au/

https://www.cargoshipvoyages.com/ViewAllVoyages/

2 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Agree but financially I have bet the farm on the world cruise and have no further funds short of a social security check which covers expenses back home. Could not pay for any living anywhere else. Maybe foolish but who knew.

Talk to Cunard.

7 hours ago, turnip eater said:

Have you got your flights yet? We’re flying out tomorrow, Monday, with American Airlines, booked through British Airways. The flight was wide open yesterday morning, now there only a few spaces left. Just can’t wait to be back in Blighty.

Don't rush to come back here. It's total madness. Like the world is about to end. We're stuck the wrong side of the world as well. But that's because although we're UK resident we have NZ residency and decided to treat ourselves to the Cape Town voyage on QM2. Have to go into isolation if we go back to family in NZ. Bonkers !

3 hours ago, alc13 said:

Not a silly question!  No answers, but some sympathy for your predicament.  Good luck -

For goodness sake it's just a means to get from A to B. My mum was 84 and flew from London via Singapore to Auckland for her granddaughter's wedding and in economy too. She's 92 now and lived to tell the tale. She had no problems with flying. 

If you got ill on board ship they would offload you and medivac you home so you'd have to fly then. 

Take me a chill pill. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LGC100 said:

For goodness sake it's just a means to get from A to B. My mum was 84 and flew from London via Singapore to Auckland for her granddaughter's wedding and in economy too. She's 92 now and lived to tell the tale. She had no problems with flying. 

If you got ill on board ship they would offload you and medivac you home so you'd have to fly then. 

Take me a chill pill. 

Just expressing my sympathy.  Hard time for her.

Guest SilverHengroen

Very surprised they've disembarked full world cruisers in Australia, I can understand not allowing anyone else to board, but would have thought taking people back to the destination port as planned would be the best thing they could do. I can only imagine it has to do with crewing the ship sufficiently? 

Morning,

Well,  I have some questions for everyone here and hope someone can answer for me.

We were on the QE sailing 15/3 that was cancelled. As per Cunard emails, I would receive a call from a Representative Saturday evening, which did not happen.

This morning I will try and contact the TA that I booked thru, but I guess with all that is happening, that will not be an easy process.

My questions are:

1. Should I email and request full refund plus other concerns or is there a form somewhere that I have to complete? I certainly do not want their FCC which was as per their first email.

2. How long does it take for this cash credit to actually come thru. I presume it all has to go thru the TA, which in itself is a bit scary in these times.

Just not sure of the process. Cunard should not have said they would be in contact on Saturday evening. We fortunately could look after ourselves, but I am sure there were many waiting for phone calls.

Any help would be appreciated.

5 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Is this a hypothetical question or are you currently in this situation ?

I notice that the poster to whom this question was addressed was posting last week on the Princess board , on the thread captioned "Princess Cruises and the Corona Virus."  See, among others, Post #1748.

New Hampshire and Vermont folks have a certain reputation for, shall we say, quirkiness?

As I understand it, Cunard is treating the UK government's advisory re cruise passengers age 7-0+ as a government directive, but not the US government's parallel advisory on pax age 60+.  Am I correct?   If so, is there a rationale, such as different passage contract teerms?

After the cancellation of QE's 15 March sailing from Sydney yesterday, I see on marinetraffic.com that she is southbound at 13.4 knots off the NSW coast this morning.  Destination is vague -- "bass straight" in grey type.  Does anyone know where she is going?   

1 hour ago, Neuhoftraveler said:

As I understand it, Cunard is treating the UK government's advisory re cruise passengers age 7-0+ as a government directive, but not the US government's parallel advisory on pax age 60+.  Am I correct?   If so, is there a rationale, such as different passage contract teerms?

Have you seen a US government advisory mentioning the specific age of 60 years old? I could well have missed one, but the US government statements related to cruising that I am aware are as follows.

The US State Department is saying "U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship."

The CDC does mention "older adults" without mentioning a specific age when it states "Older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease. This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships."

Edited by bluemarble

33 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Have you seen a US government advisory mentioning the specific age of 60 years old?

I think you may be right.  I was thinking of the two advisories you mentioned, but failed to cite-check my posting before clicking.  (Contrary to what I like to think is my unvarying practice, or at least what I've always told my junior colleagues and my students to do.)   The 60+ specification came into my head from somewhere, but I cannot now say where.  Maybe it was the NIH's Dr. Fauci in one of his Congressional hearing or other public statements, but I haven't checked.  Then again, maybe not.

But thanks for catching this.  I stand corrected (maybe).

My DW, the native Cedarrapidian, would be smugly satisfied at my being called out on this by another Iowan.

The Governor of California is requiring all over 65 To be quarantined in their homes. Restaurants are advised to due take out or delivery only. Some say 8 weeks, although I have  not been able to confirm that. 

5 hours ago, Neuhoftraveler said:

It appears that, like California (for 65+), the UK government is intending to take powers to keep over 70s indoors, with some sort of sanctions for non compliance.  How tightly this will be enforced is another matter.  Nevertheless it would put the UK into a different category from the US’s advisory.

Edited by IB2

Unlike its sister company Princess cruises, the silence from Cunard with regards to plans beyond March 15th is deafening.

Princess have put up on their website a list of cancellations and modifications from now until May 10th.

The lack of communication from Cunard should be a concern for all of those booked on her ships.

Cunard passengers should be loudly voicing their displeasure at such treatment, through social media or whatever platform is available, for the rest of the cruising world to see  how (IMO) inept the back-office component of this business appears to be.

Thoughts anybody?

1 hour ago, pmcl said:

Unlike its sister company Princess cruises, the silence from Cunard with regards to plans beyond March 15th is deafening.

Princess have put up on their website a list of cancellations and modifications from now until May 10th.

The lack of communication from Cunard should be a concern for all of those booked on her ships.

Cunard passengers should be loudly voicing their displeasure at such treatment, through social media or whatever platform is available, for the rest of the cruising world to see  how (IMO) inept the back-office component of this business appears to be.

Thoughts anybody?

I agree.  Canada has closed all ports until July 1st and that date could be extended.  Cunard is still selling Alaska cruises online in June that depart from Vancouver, visit Victoria and Prince Rupert.  That decision was made a few days ago.   Where are you Cunard???

• Like 1

I have an Alaska sailing this June from Vancouver. I see the Canada has now announced no Cruise Lines will be allowed into Canadian ports until July. Cunard has still not cancelled my trip. Any idea when they will begin to cancel? 

2 minutes ago, CabinC said:

I have an Alaska sailing this June from Vancouver. I see the Canada has now announced no Cruise Lines will be allowed into Canadian ports until July. Cunard has still not cancelled my trip. Any idea when they will begin to cancel? 

Just be patient - they will get in touch - Your summer cruise is a way off yet.

• Like 1