Family Glory Cruise February 2-9, 2020

grandmarnnurse

On 2/11/2020 at 4:04 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

I keep remembering things that I should have discussed in review. Concerning food in New Orleans. We were looking for places to eat within our walking area, keeping in mind that the hubby cannot walk far before his back hurts. There was absolutely nowhere for us to eat. I know, you all are saying, “are you crazy?”. Let me insert that I eat nearly everything, and I love seafood. My picky, set in his ways, hubby only eats beef: steaks and burgers. So, on our quest to find a restaurant that will serve the man a steak or burger, we found that all of these places that offer things I wanted to try, such as Gumbo, Grilled Oysters, etc, the steaks were $40-65. He refused to pay that. So, for the 3 pre-cruise nights we were there, we ended up eating at Hard Rock Cafe 2 of the 3 nights where he could eat steaks and burgers. The other night we went to a dive type bar that I saw a video of that served a crawfish boil. They also had a menu offering ribs, which he ordered, as he will eat pork ribs. He loves spaghetti and meatballs, as well, but couldn’t find an Italian restaurant. Only Irenes, but when he saw the menu, he said that wasn’t Italian food—Lol! As someone from Italian parents, I had to tell him that real Italian food is not what America thinks it is. It’s a lot of fish. Lol! So, that’s our pre-cruise search for food. Hubby says he never wants to return to NOLA. oh, well, it is what it is. Oh, the dive bar? The Three Legged Dog. 

Thanks for the heads up!  I'm actually worried about this.  My husband is allergic to seafood and my son is a very picky eater.  

35 minutes ago, clmsntgers said:

Thanks for the heads up!  I'm actually worried about this.  My husband is allergic to seafood and my son is a very picky eater.  

But remember, I was right in the heart of the French Quarter, by Bourbon St. We were told by our Uber driver (on the way to the port), that for other restaurants and for more reasonably priced restaurants, you need to leave the French Quarter. There has got to be restaurants in that city that offer a more Americanized menu! But Hard Rock Cafe is right there on Bourbon St.

Edited by grandmarnnurse

1 hour ago, clmsntgers said:

There are plenty of places to eat in New Orleans and it's not all seafood. If you know where you're staying and what you want to eat let me know and I'll give you some suggestions.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

There are plenty of places to eat in New Orleans and it's not all seafood. If you know where you're staying and what you want to eat let me know and I'll give you some suggestions.

We are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn French Quarter/CBD - my men are big meat eaters (beef, pork, etc) and like traditional American food 😞  .  My daughter and I will eat anything. Thanks so much for your help!

Edited to add - we are driving to NOLA, so transportation won't be an issue.

Edited by clmsntgers

31 minutes ago, clmsntgers said:

We are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn French Quarter/CBD - my men are big meat eaters (beef, pork, etc) and like traditional American food 😞  .  My daughter and I will eat anything. Thanks so much for your help!

As I mentioned earlier, there is NOTHING in the French Quarter within walking distance that would feed my hubby. He sounds like your men. I’m sure if we Ubered out, we could have found something, or you are young enough to walk far. My hubby is not, and very out of shape. I am a “young” 66 year old that walks 3-4 miles a day, plus rides a stationary bike for 40 minutes, so walking is definitely not an issue for me. But my hubby is 70, and does not exercise, so he cannot walk far before complaining. And he was not big on spending extra money to take Ubers around town. So, we were left with what was within our walking distance, and that wasn’t much. I hope you have better luck than us. Perhaps Saint Greg has a few suggestions for you, but plan on using an Uber to get there if you can’t walk far.

2 hours ago, bellagirl5 said:

Can you tell me what shows/playlist productions were on the Glory when you traveled in February?  Thank you!

There was a 60s Island themed  production that was cute. The Epic Rock was excellent! And then there was a Motown production that was good. It was performed better than on my Breeze cruise. Then they had the Hasbro game show that we did as we were with family and the grandchildren loved it! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, clmsntgers said:

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in November and were very pleased with the hotel. They have food there but limited hours we found. We walked over to a breakfast place that is in my review I did here. It was just ok in my opinion. My hubby has aplha gal so he can't eat red meat or pork (and has always been a meat and potatoes man) and I have many food sensitivities so I understand the struggle. We had appetizers at a place on Bourbon Street that was fabulous but we walked out of a place for bad service. Overall I was not impressed with the food choices we found either - and you are right. It's a DIRTY city. I'm glad we went because now I know what everyone is talking about. We are partiers - hubby is a musician - but it was still more "crazy" than I'd like personally. For me once was enough.

Speaking of crazy - we are drinkers and that is it. Nothing else. But as we were walking down Bourbon street in the broad daylight on a Monday a dude approached my husband and asked him if wanted to score some good um not sure if I can say that here but insert the drug from a famous Eric Clapton song. LOL!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ricew001 said:

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in November and were very pleased with the hotel. They have food there but limited hours we found. We walked over to a breakfast place that is in my review I did here. It was just ok in my opinion. My hubby has aplha gal so he can't eat red meat or pork (and has always been a meat and potatoes man) and I have many food sensitivities so I understand the struggle. We had appetizers at a place on Bourbon Street that was fabulous but we walked out of a place for bad service. Overall I was not impressed with the food choices we found either - and you are right. It's a DIRTY city. I'm glad we went because now I know what everyone is talking about. We are partiers - hubby is a musician - but it was still more "crazy" than I'd like personally. For me once was enough.

Speaking of crazy - we are drinkers and that is it. Nothing else. But as we were walking down Bourbon street in the broad daylight on a Monday a dude approached my husband and asked him if wanted to score some good um not sure if I can say that here but insert the drug from a famous Eric Clapton song. LOL!

Precisely! I couldn’t believe just how dirty it was! And we are no stick in the muds, but this place was CRAZY! One trip to NOLA was more than enough for us, at least the French Quarter. The Garden District looked lovely. If we ever book another cruise that sails out of NOLA, and that’s unlikely, I’d choose a nicer area to stay, and keep far away from the Bourbon St area. BTW—once we arrived back home, I sprayed my sneakers well with Lysol, really saturating them—-LOL! 

16 hours ago, ricew001 said:

15 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Precisely! I couldn’t believe just how dirty it was! And we are no stick in the muds, but this place was CRAZY! One trip to NOLA was more than enough for us, at least the French Quarter. The Garden District looked lovely. If we ever book another cruise that sails out of NOLA, and that’s unlikely, I’d choose a nicer area to stay, and keep far away from the Bourbon St area. BTW—once we arrived back home, I sprayed my sneakers well with Lysol, really saturating them—-LOL! 

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy New Orleans as much as millions of other visitors that return time and time again!!!  I think its unfortunate that you didn't do some research prior to getting there.   It's no secret that Bourbon Street is for the most part dirty and disgusting.   Many find this special, an area that is unique to our country.   A simple Google search would have educated you on the goings on, its a daily thing there.

I also can't understand how you couldn't find a place to eat???   New Orleans is generally considered one of the top places to eat in the world!!!   The city is jam packed with highly rated restaurants, home to some of the finest chefs in the country.   Again, it would have advantageous to you to spend a couple of minutes on the internet, even with the challenges you presented, I'd bet there was a restaurant nearby that you would have loved!!!

Sorry you didn't enjoy New Orleans, I wish you'd give her another chance.   Just do a little research and make your stay a memorable one!!!

I agree with everything ULCajunCruiser has to say. We love NOLA. So much so we spent 3, 4th of July weeks in a row all in the French Quarter. Bourbon Street is the tourist trap of NOLA. We avoided it like the plague. It's famous to be sure, but known to be the drunken brawl that it is. Soooooooo many excellent restaurants in the Quarter; breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's a culinary experience that I miss dearly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy New Orleans as much as millions of other visitors that return time and time again!!!  I think its unfortunate that you didn't do some research prior to getting there.   It's no secret that Bourbon Street is for the most part dirty and disgusting.   Many find this special, an area that is unique to our country.   A simple Google search would have educated you on the goings on, its a daily thing there.

I also can't understand how you couldn't find a place to eat???   New Orleans is generally considered one of the top places to eat in the world!!!   The city is jam packed with highly rated restaurants, home to some of the finest chefs in the country.   Again, it would have advantageous to you to spend a couple of minutes on the internet, even with the challenges you presented, I'd bet there was a restaurant nearby that you would have loved!!!

Sorry you didn't enjoy New Orleans, I wish you'd give her another chance.   Just do a little research and make your stay a memorable one!!!

Actually, I did do research prior to our time there. That is how I knew about the Three Legged Dog, and the Ruby Slipper. But when we went to the various restaurants within our walking distance, and read their menu that was posted outside, those that DID have something my very picky hubby would order, was way too over priced. I could get a whole meal for two back home from what one steak would cost! And all the sides were ala carte. As I said, I wouldn’t have a problem going back to NOLA, but I’d stay clear of the area around Bourbon St. We saw it once, and that was more than enough. Just not our cup of tea. We enjoyed seeing Jackson Square and the Cathedral, along with the mansions in the Garden District. You can research all you want, but it cannot prepare you for the drunken craziness, along with the filth, of Bourbon St.

• Like 1

Agree with @grandmarnnurse. I do an incredible amount of research. Actually my favorite class in graduate school was my PhD level research course - and I have worked in clinical research for 30 years....so when I say research I mean research: I dig deep. I'm the one that looks at peer-reviewed research for the most effective sea sickness meds. 😁

I was pleased with the hotel - which I found while doing research. 

We expereienced NOLA once - that was enough for me. It's ok. As we say that's the great thing about cruising - it's not one size fits all. It wasn't the worst trip ever - it's just places I'd rather spend my money at instead of New Orleans. We bar hop in our North Carolina beach towns and love it - and never worry about pick pockets. Again to each their own.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ricew001 said:

Agree with @grandmarnnurse. I do an incredible amount of research. Actually my favorite class in graduate school was my PhD level research course - and I have worked in clinical research for 30 years....so when I say research I mean research: I dig deep. I'm the one that looks at peer-reviewed research for the most effective sea sickness meds. 😁

I was pleased with the hotel - which I found while doing research. 

We expereienced NOLA once - that was enough for me. It's ok. As we say that's the great thing about cruising - it's not one size fits all. It wasn't the worst trip ever - it's just places I'd rather spend my money at instead of New Orleans. We bar hop in our North Carolina beach towns and love it - and never worry about pick pockets. Again to each their own.

Thank you. I researched extensively prior to trip, and had print outs of places to try. What we weren’t prepared for was the exorbitant prices, and the filth. Our hotel, The Courtyard by Marriot on Iberville, was fine, but once we stepped outside into the streets, I didnt anticipate having to step over bums sleeping on the street, and side stepping over vomit and urine. That is not a place I could ever recommend anyone to go to. 

I’ve enjoyed your review. I hope you disregard anyone bashing you. Question, hubby and I will be on the Glory in a few weeks. Do you remember if they had the 80s deck party? They had it just last year and we had lots of fun. 

I just finished reading your review and pictures and really enjoyed it!  We actually have friends whom we met through cruising on Glory right now on the Journey cruise.  I believe they boarded the day you got off.  We've been to New Orleans, twice, for a week land vacation.  The most recent was in 2018, so I enjoyed seeing your pics since I recognized a lot of the places.  I can't believe it's been almost 2 years for us though, seems like only a few months ago.  Glory is an old friend of ours (sailed on her in 2010) and I really enjoyed your pictures.  Starfish Island has changed!  We were there in 2006 on a Carnival excursion when it was called "Bannister Island".  Some of the buildings look the same but there has been a lot added.  And the pre-dawn pictures you got of New Orleans are the best I've seen in a review!  Wow!!!  Hope you're planning to enlarge and display some of those, especially the sunrise with the bridge - that one is just spectacular!  I should be over on the ports of call section right now for our upcoming cruise on Magic in May, but I always enjoy picture reviews here.  The largest ships we've been on now are the Conquest class (Glory, Valor, Liberty x2) and the two before that were smaller (Miracle &  Festivale, which was our first in 1992), so I'm not sure what I'm going to think of a larger ship but definitely looking forward to it.  The couple who are currently on Glory will be on Magic with us in May.  I would just love to take a cruise out of New Orleans one of these days.  Thank you for sharing!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, getta said:

I’ve enjoyed your review. I hope you disregard anyone bashing you. Question, hubby and I will be on the Glory in a few weeks. Do you remember if they had the 80s deck party? They had it just last year and we had lots of fun. 

Yes, we had an 80s party but it was in the lobby area. There was a Mega Deck Party that was awesome!

40 minutes ago, pghsteelerfan said:

I just finished reading your review and pictures and really enjoyed it!  We actually have friends whom we met through cruising on Glory right now on the Journey cruise.  I believe they boarded the day you got off.  We've been to New Orleans, twice, for a week land vacation.  The most recent was in 2018, so I enjoyed seeing your pics since I recognized a lot of the places.  I can't believe it's been almost 2 years for us though, seems like only a few months ago.  Glory is an old friend of ours (sailed on her in 2010) and I really enjoyed your pictures.  Starfish Island has changed!  We were there in 2006 on a Carnival excursion when it was called "Bannister Island".  Some of the buildings look the same but there has been a lot added.  And the pre-dawn pictures you got of New Orleans are the best I've seen in a review!  Wow!!!  Hope you're planning to enlarge and display some of those, especially the sunrise with the bridge - that one is just spectacular!  I should be over on the ports of call section right now for our upcoming cruise on Magic in May, but I always enjoy picture reviews here.  The largest ships we've been on now are the Conquest class (Glory, Valor, Liberty x2) and the two before that were smaller (Miracle &  Festivale, which was our first in 1992), so I'm not sure what I'm going to think of a larger ship but definitely looking forward to it.  The couple who are currently on Glory will be on Magic with us in May.  I would just love to take a cruise out of New Orleans one of these days.  Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for your kind comments! And that one pic of the predawn sky and bridge in NOLA is also one of my favorites. Enjoy the Magic! I am on her in April!