Family Glory Cruise February 2-9, 2020

grandmarnnurse

18 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Great pictures! What is this? Is it that vegetarian pie?

Yes, it is one of the vegetarian choices, not that I’m a vegetarian, but I heard great comments about this, and it was pretty good. It is the pumpkin cheese pie. My daughter ordered it, as well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Your sailaway drink looks yum!🤗

How was the straw?

🍹

I should have mentioned this in my review, but forgot. I brought plastic straws with me, but never used them. The sugar straws were just fine. Mine never went limp, but I may drink my cocktails way too fast. Lol! I gave my son in law my stash of plastic straws because he hated them. They were no problem to me. But one night I ordered a Mojito during the Mega Deck Party, from the Red Frog Rum Bar, and they refused to even give me a sugar straw for my drink. Apparently they are ONLY for frozen drinks. If your drink isn’t frozen, you do not get a straw. Oh,and this is my favorite frozen cocktail, Kiss On The Lips. I am a real light weight with alcohol (ever since a concussion in 2016) so I will admit that this cocktail is pretty weak. I can’t do strong cocktails, so I’ve never had a Funship cocktail. I hear they are pretty potent.

• Like 2

I keep remembering things that I should have discussed in review. Concerning food in New Orleans. We were looking for places to eat within our walking area, keeping in mind that the hubby cannot walk far before his back hurts. There was absolutely nowhere for us to eat. I know, you all are saying, “are you crazy?”. Let me insert that I eat nearly everything, and I love seafood. My picky, set in his ways, hubby only eats beef: steaks and burgers. So, on our quest to find a restaurant that will serve the man a steak or burger, we found that all of these places that offer things I wanted to try, such as Gumbo, Grilled Oysters, etc, the steaks were $40-65. He refused to pay that. So, for the 3 pre-cruise nights we were there, we ended up eating at Hard Rock Cafe 2 of the 3 nights where he could eat steaks and burgers. The other night we went to a dive type bar that I saw a video of that served a crawfish boil. They also had a menu offering ribs, which he ordered, as he will eat pork ribs. He loves spaghetti and meatballs, as well, but couldn’t find an Italian restaurant. Only Irenes, but when he saw the menu, he said that wasn’t Italian food—Lol! As someone from Italian parents, I had to tell him that real Italian food is not what America thinks it is. It’s a lot of fish. Lol! So, that’s our pre-cruise search for food. Hubby says he never wants to return to NOLA. oh, well, it is what it is. Oh, the dive bar? The Three Legged Dog. 

Edited by grandmarnnurse
  • Like 1

Great Pictures!! We are traveling on the Glory at the end of March, I have been looking for someone who has been on the ship since they switched from Coke to Pepsi. Several blogs say that they serve Dr. Pepper but Carnival says no. Do you know if they have it on board? 

Thank you!

2 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I should have mentioned this in my review, but forgot. I brought plastic straws with me, but never used them. The sugar straws were just fine. Mine never went limp, but I may drink my cocktails way too fast. Lol! I gave my son in law my stash of plastic straws because he hated them. They were no problem to me. But one night I ordered a Mojito during the Mega Deck Party, from the Red Frog Rum Bar, and they refused to even give me a sugar straw for my drink. Apparently they are ONLY for frozen drinks. If your drink isn’t frozen, you do not get a straw. Oh,and this is my favorite frozen cocktail, Kiss On The Lips. I am a real light weight with alcohol (ever since a concussion in 2016) so I will admit that this cocktail is pretty weak. I can’t do strong cocktails, so I’ve never had a Funship cocktail. I hear they are pretty potent.

1 hour ago, armywife3026 said:

Great Pictures!! We are traveling on the Glory at the end of March, I have been looking for someone who has been on the ship since they switched from Coke to Pepsi. Several blogs say that they serve Dr. Pepper but Carnival says no. Do you know if they have it on board? 

Thank you!

Sorry. I do not know. 

Absolutely fantastic review and some of the best pictures posted. As a fellow senior citizen (who does not know how to post pictures) you give me hope.

Really appreciate you taking the time and effort to post all of this.

Your pictures of New Orleans were really great. Thank you. You went to some of the same places we always go to when in New Orleans.

Again, really great review and pictures.

37 minutes ago, mexicobob said:

Absolutely fantastic review and some of the best pictures posted. As a fellow senior citizen (who does not know how to post pictures) you give me hope.

Really appreciate you taking the time and effort to post all of this.

Your pictures of New Orleans were really great. Thank you. You went to some of the same places we always go to when in New Orleans.

Again, really great review and pictures.

Thank you! 

We will be on this Cruise in August and are very excited about it.  I really enjoyed your review and pics.  I had been looking at the beach at Mahogany Bay.  I had read where you could take the chair lift to it or just do an easy walk, which is what we would do.  Is there a cost for beach access?  I thought I had read there was a cost for the cabanna's (covered chairs) but couldn't find if there was a cost for just using the beach and the uncanopied chairs. 

Thanks

46 minutes ago, kyboymom said:

We will be on this Cruise in August and are very excited about it.  I really enjoyed your review and pics.  I had been looking at the beach at Mahogany Bay.  I had read where you could take the chair lift to it or just do an easy walk, which is what we would do.  Is there a cost for beach access?  I thought I had read there was a cost for the cabanna's (covered chairs) but couldn't find if there was a cost for just using the beach and the uncanopied chairs. 

Thanks

We took the chair lift because it was part of a package I ordered in excursions on the Carnival website. For $64 I got 2 tickets for unlimited chair lift rides, 2 loungers, a clamshell, and 2 water floats. You could just walk to beach because it’s a lovely walk down from the shopping area. The beach is free, and I believe that loungers are free, just not the clamshells. I bought this package because my hubby doesn’t walk far well, and needed the clamshell for protection of his pale skin.

I am on the Glory in 51 more days! Do you happen to know which Dining room is used for assigned dining? I booked the 6:00 assigned dining and just curious which dining room handles assigned.  Thanks very much.

31 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

I am on the Glory in 51 more days! Do you happen to know which Dining room is used for assigned dining? I booked the 6:00 assigned dining and just curious which dining room handles assigned.  Thanks very much.

I had YTD, which was in the Golden Room, 3 fwd. So, I assume assigned dining must be in the aft MDR. I forgot the name. That’s where we ate breakfast, though. Unless they do assigned in Golden Room on 4 fwd. 

5 hours ago, kdr69 said:

I was on the Glory about a year ago and had early dining. We were in the platinum dining room (aft). 

On 2/11/2020 at 1:55 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

Yes, it is one of the vegetarian choices, not that I’m a vegetarian, but I heard great comments about this, and it was pretty good. It is the pumpkin cheese pie. My daughter ordered it, as well. 

How much vegetarian is actually in the pie?

The last "vegetarian" dish I had I couldn't find any.  Even thinly-sliced and quick seared vegetarian is better than no vegetarian at all being included in the dish.

On 2/11/2020 at 2:13 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

Too late now, but a couple suggestions for next time. New Orleans Hamburger & Seafood Company is a chain, but a local chain that is actually pretty good. There is one on Decatur not too far from Ruby Slipper and your hubby would probably like it. They also have things like red beans and rice and gumbo on the menu so you could get that too.

Red Gravy is a good Italian restaurant on Camp St just off of Canal. It's ran by a New Jersey Italian transplant, so it has a northeastern Italian feel wit a bit of a New Orleans spin and a very interesting breakfast menu. Both of these would be not too far away. 🙂

(Edit: Realize I quoted the wrong post, but whatever lol.)

Edited by Pyxie
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pyxie said:

Too late now, but a couple suggestions for next time. New Orleans Hamburger & Seafood Company is a chain, but a local chain that is actually pretty good. There is one on Decatur not too far from Ruby Slipper and your hubby would probably like it. They also have things like red beans and rice and gumbo on the menu so you could get that too.

Red Gravy is a good Italian restaurant on Camp St just off of Canal. It's ran by a New Jersey Italian transplant, so it has a northeastern Italian feel wit a bit of a New Orleans spin and a very interesting breakfast menu. Both of these would be not too far away. 🙂

(Edit: Realize I quoted the wrong post, but whatever lol.)

I wish I knew these Restaurants before hand! It might have changed his impression of NOLA. Thank you for the suggestions. I’ll file them away for hopefully another trip out of NOLA.

22 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Would you happen to be sailing on April 5th????