Questions about switching someone from their own cabin and adding them to your cabin?

Loralie

Here’s the story,  my brother in law very generously booked and paid for a cruise for our whole family which was 9 people staying in 5 cabins.  He booked it a year ago and the cruise is 83 days away.    Here is how the cabins are broken down

handicap balcony cabin - me and my husband 

handicap balcony cabin - my mother in law and her friend

balcony cabin - brother in law by himself

inside cabin - my son and his wife

inside cabin - my younger son and his girlfriend

So since the time of booking, some things have changed.  My younger son broke up with his girlfriend and he will be going alone.  My mother in law is having some health problems and will require surgery in a few weeks and my brother in law is afraid of her being on a ship, away from her drs right after Surgery in case something goes wrong.  My brother in law said me and my husband and our 2 sons and daughter in law can still go on the cruise but he would cancel his room and my mother in laws room.  

‘’here is the question...I believe our handicap room sleeps 4 people, how difficult would it be to move our younger son, who is now alone, into my room so we can cancel his room too and save my brother in law some money?  Would we have to cancel our reservation and book again?   My husband and I lucked out and bought the $18.00 unlimited drink package, if our son is in our room he would have to buy a drink package too, right?  What is the process of moving someone from their own cabin to your cabin?

thanks in advance,

Loralie

You would have to call the TA who booked this or RCI if not TA was used and talk it over with them.   There are different tariff rates for cabins for 2, 3 or 4 which would affect the pricing.  There may not be muster station space (lifeboat space) at the cabin you are in.  and a bunch of other variables.   Only those people would be able to sort out what is what.  Also, you are already in the penalty timeframe for any cabins you cancel, so those costs come into play (hopefully you have insurance that will cover the circumstances).  

Steve

Would suggest working with the TA who booked the cruise, or RC directly if you didn’t use a TA.  Some things might depend on muster stations and also said you “think” your cabin sleeps 4 - no one can advise you without knowing for sure how many the cabin holds.  If it doesn’t hold 3 or 4 you cannot add a person.  I think you need to start with that and go from there regarding drink package. 

You are also looking at different pricing for the cabin, and also penalties for canceling. 

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

16 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

You would have to call the TA who booked this or RCI if not TA was used and talk it over with them.   There are different tariff rates for cabins for 2, 3 or 4 which would affect the pricing.  There may not be muster station space (lifeboat space) at the cabin you are in.  and a bunch of other variables.   Only those people would be able to sort out what is what.  Also, you are already in the penalty timeframe for any cabins you cancel, so those costs come into play (hopefully you have insurance that will cover the circumstances).  

Steve

16 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Would suggest working with the TA who booked the cruise, or RC directly if you didn’t use a TA.  Some things might depend on muster stations and also said you “think” your cabin sleeps 4 - no one can advise you without knowing for sure how many the cabin holds.  If it doesn’t hold 3 or 4 you cannot add a person.  I think you need to start with that and go from there regarding drink package. 

You are also looking at different pricing for the cabin, and also penalties for canceling. 

Since the OP has stated that they think the HC balcony cabin hold 4 which is most likely correct as they often put 2 in a quad HC cabin then there would be no difference in price for the first 2 guests as the cabin category is not changing. 

The difference in price would only come into play if they had to change categories I.e, going from a 2D to a 3D and that would also entail a room change. 

If the cabin did not have the ability to hold 4 then yes it would be a category change with a reprising of the fare to the new category. 

OP, call Royal or your TA.  Should be an easy add just paying the charge for guest 3 as long as there is muster station space.   At 83 days you are in tje 25% penalty phase or deposit amount whichever is greater. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

You are already into the penalty phase and would lose 25% for cancellation and at 75 days out you will lose 50%.

as others have stated you need to discuss this with the travel agent to see if it can be done and what the penalty and possible price changes may be.

Hopefully, all the rooms are at the same muster station...that can screw things up  a bit.  If the "muster station" isn't already full, they may allow it...otherwise, it doesn't matter HOW many beds are in the cabin...you won't be able to 'add' a person, even if the cabin holds more.

Make the changes sooner than later.  Good luck .