Classic vs premium beverage package

Slyfox16

9 hours ago, Slyfox16 said:

If you get the classic beverage package, but order a premium drink, do you just pay the difference  plus the difference in the tip or do you have to pay the whole cost of the drink plus the gratuity? Appreciate the advice

Slyfox:  The policy changed several years ago so now you just pay the cost differential plus gratuity.  But there are still some old reviews out there which folks periodically seem to find.

You can also upgrade to the Premium Drink package for $10 pp a day. I think you also have to pay the 20% gratuity so the up grade is $12pppd. We got the CBP as a perk like so many other have and after looking at the current available wine and spirit brands we will be upgrading for our cruise next year. For example, we  prefer Bombay Blue Sapphire gin for martinis and it is only available in the PBP, also much nicer wines by the glass for meals on PBP. With the PBP we most likely will not need to buy any bottles of wine for dinner, just wines by the glass. Also all of the larger specialty martinis at the Martini Bar are over the $9 limit so the PBP has us covered there too. This will be our first X cruise since 2009 and their drink packages and policy is so much better than HAL or NCL. The Perks they offer also are far superior to HAL, which is why we are trying X next year.

However, I think that the 20% gratuity for drinks outside the drink and wine packages is a little extreme. HAL charges 18% and on our Viking Ocean cruise this year the gratuity is only 15%. Drink prices on VO are way less in cost, a Bombay martini is $8.95. The drink package on VO is only $17.90pppd with a $15 cost cap, but other than much higher end wines it covers all bar drinks and brands. On our 10 day cruise the drink package is only $179pp. 

Edited by terrydtx

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

You can also upgrade to the Premium Drink package for $10 pp a day. I think you also have to pay the 20% gratuity so the up grade is $12pppd. We got the CBP as a perk like so many other have and after looking at the current available wine and spirit brands we will be upgrading for our cruise next year. For example, we  prefer Bombay Blue Sapphire gin for martinis and it is only available in the PBP, also much nicer wines by the glass for meals on PBP. With the PBP we most likely will not need to buy any bottles of wine for dinner, just wines by the glass. Also all of the larger specialty martinis at the Martini Bar are over the $9 limit so the PBP has us covered there too. This will be our first X cruise since 2009 and their drink packages and policy is so much better than HAL or NCL. The Perks they offer also are far superior to HAL, which is why we are trying X next year.

However, I think that the 20% gratuity for drinks outside the drink and wine packages is a little extreme. HAL charges 18% and on our Viking Ocean cruise this year the gratuity is only 15%. Drink prices on VO are way less in cost, a Bombay martini is $8.95. The drink package on VO is only $17.90pppd with a $15 cost cap, but other than much higher end wines it covers all bar drinks and brands. On our 10 day cruise the drink package is only $179pp. 

Every cruiseline has a different beverage policy. VO is inexpensive drinks - $8.95 won't buy you one at home - NCL is $100 a day. Again most have free packages offered. Thus VO is getting $$ from someplace else.

Since DW and I are Elite we are quite happy with a couple of glasses of wine in the evening and don't care much about a drink package. DW gets her macchiato for free at the Elite breakfast.  Again X has their marketing policy.

If you get the classic beverage package, but order a premium drink, do you just pay the difference  plus the difference in the tip or do you have to pay the whole cost of the drink plus the gratuity? Appreciate the advice

I have the Classic which covers up to $10 and my hubby the premium which covers up to $15 - tip is already included

Sent from my iPhone using Forums