Additional procedures to prevent the spread of flu, etc. on board???

miami mama

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Thanks, I cruise with another smaller line where the staff know you and its not an issue.  They do monitor sanitiser use but know who does not use it for good reason.  Other guests respect the staff monitoring and leave it at that.

Personally I take no interest in the behaviour of others as they enter the dining room.

This has been very helpful, I can see that whilst there was a lot I liked about Viking, to avoid issues for others, its not the cruise line for us if we are going to be seen as guests inviting trouble.

At least we learned beforehand, though I might just ping Viking an email to get their view as we have already been talking with them re food allergies.

While I can only comment on the Viking Sun, on this ship, with the current conditions world wide, they have implemented enhanced cleaning standards. While we rarely use the World Cafe, when we boarded in L/A, no crew member was stationed at the gel dispenser/wash basins. However, now a crew member is stationed at the entrance and they request you use the wash basins, not the gel. The Captain also includes hygiene in his daily announcement.

Once the virus has run its course, I suspect Viking will return to the base level of hygiene standards.

Suggest you don't discount Viking based on their current policies, as they are implemented to enhance our safety,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, uktog said:

Thanks, I cruise with another smaller line where the staff know you and its not an issue.  They do monitor sanitiser use but know who does not use it for good reason.  Other guests respect the staff monitoring and leave it at that.

Personally I take no interest in the behaviour of others as they enter the dining room.

This has been very helpful, I can see that whilst there was a lot I liked about Viking, to avoid issues for others, its not the cruise line for us if we are going to be seen as guests inviting trouble.

At least we learned beforehand, though I might just ping Viking an email to get their view as we have already been talking with them re food allergies.

Hi Uktog,
I don't think this is a case of one cruise line v's another, I think we all have to be visibly seen to be following guidelines for cleanliness and this means washing hands whenever you wish to eat at the buffet. 
Sadly the majority of hand sanitisers will not protect anyone against Noro virus or Flu virus mostly because they don't contain the right chemicals (some do) and secondly because they are used incorrectly - a quick wipe isn't good enough.
The best policy is to follow the healthcare recommendation of regularly, repeatedly wash hands for at least 20 seconds.
Like it or not, small cruise line or big cruise line, I suspect that enforced hand washing will become the norm for everyone who wishes to eat in the buffet.

Thanks, I did not make it clear, one line the staff understand those it cannot enforce requirements on for medical reasons and another might have a blanket approach and cannot.  Anyway I am researching other options for cruises although recognise staying land based in resorts might for the future be a feasible alternative.  Its the use of the word enforced that bothers a little. 

Update:  We have discussed this with agents and not eating in the buffet is our best option though if I explain the position they believe at the buffet entrance it would be accepted.  However other guests might still get snarky.  We will reflect on this, am happy to have room service breakfast so its not an issue

Edited by uktog

7 hours ago, uktog said:

Thanks, I did not make it clear, one line the staff understand those it cannot enforce requirements on for medical reasons and another might have a blanket approach and cannot.  Anyway I am researching other options for cruises although recognise staying land based in resorts might for the future be a feasible alternative.  Its the use of the word enforced that bothers a little. 

Update:  We have discussed this with agents and not eating in the buffet is our best option though if I explain the position they believe at the buffet entrance it would be accepted.  However other guests might still get snarky.  We will reflect on this, am happy to have room service breakfast so its not an issue

Hi uktog

I too have super reactive allergies and often take my own hand wash in a little bottle that I keep in my bag. On the Sky last year  I kept it in my pocket and pulled it out at the wash basins. I didn't find I reacted to the Viking soaps though but of course we are all different.

Have to say a great many folk didn't wash their hands when they entered the dining rooms despite being gently reminded by staff at the entrances. I really wouldn't worry, they don't get you in a neck wrestle if you ignore the advice to wash your hands, it's just a gentle reminder. If you waggle your hands around as you enter and say that you've just washed them in the ladies room , that'll suffice.

Sailing with Viking is a wonderful experience, I'd highly recommend it!

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2020 at 12:21 AM, uktog said:

How do they deal with those of us who cannot use the hand sanitizers. I was considering a Viking Cruise but really don’t want the hassle of being hounded every time I enter a cafe or whatever and having to explain myself both to crew and other passengers who chip in. 

(I use my own product by the way). 

Please explain why you cannot wash your hands for 20 seconds at the entrance to the buffet? Use your own soap if you desire, but 100% compliance is necessary. Faking it won't cut it on my watch. And if it is my health at risk, you better believe I will stand between you and the buffet until you comply. Any cruiseline that just looks the other way is asking for trouble. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Faking it won't cut it on my watch. And if it is my health at risk, you better believe I will stand between you and the buffet until you comply. Any cruiseline that just looks the other way is asking for trouble. 

Ouch, on reflection I am not sure I can cope with this.

I was planning to carry some of my medicated skin wipes but it sounds like this does not meet your requirements, although it does meet the requirements when visiting UK hospitals.

• Like 1

uktog - Unlike other cruise lines that either don't really care about their guests, or choose not to spend the money to do it right, Viking provides hand washing stations (not just sanitizer) at all entrances to the buffet. Hand washing is more effective. I'm willing to bet your doctors wash their hands, not just use sanitizing wipes before going into surgery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twodjs said:

uktog - Unlike other cruise lines that either don't really care about their guests, or choose not to spend the money to do it right, Viking provides hand washing stations (not just sanitizer) at all entrances to the buffet. Hand washing is more effective. I'm willing to bet your doctors wash their hands, not just use sanitizing wipes before going into surgery.

I'm sure there are some lines/ships that don't have hand washing stations at the buffet, but even many of the "bargain" lines have these.  The last 4 ships I've cruised all had stations/sinks with soap and water: Regal Princess, Carnival Pride, Anthem of the Seas, Carnival Sunrise.

I do look forward to cruising with Viking but hope the attitude on board isn't as "Sister Bertha Better Than Thou" as your post indicates 😞 

• Like 2

Maybe they should put, "Are you willing to wash your hands?" on the boarding health questionnaire. 

The point of the thread was to discuss increased measures to ensure safety/health of the passengers during the increasing spread of an emerging, potentially fatal infection, not to mention all of the other bugs that spread in closed quarters.  The hard truth, as I see it, is that an individual passenger should not put their allergies/sensitivities ahead of the health of all of the rest of the passengers and crew.  And maybe, while the whole world is trying to figure out what to do about the spread of COVID19, it is not the time to publicly contemplate cruising with only hand wipes.  

That said, there are always those that just won't get it, and thus it is ultimately on the individuals to protect themselves

Edited by Djesca
missed a few words

4 hours ago, twodjs said:

Please explain why you cannot wash your hands for 20 seconds at the entrance to the buffet? Use your own soap if you desire, but 100% compliance is necessary. Faking it won't cut it on my watch. And if it is my health at risk, you better believe I will stand between you and the buffet until you comply. Any cruiseline that just looks the other way is asking for trouble. 

You need to wash for  2 minutes, not 20 seconds.

Please stand between me and the buffet with your I know best attitude

Enjoy you next cruise in splendid isolation 

• Like 4

The coronavirus is quickly becoming a full-blown global pandemic problem.  I see mandatory hand-washing akin to the safety procedures required onboard a ship.  If you skip out on the muster drill, I’ll bet a crew member will track you down.  

There is little we can do to stem the spread of this disease, but we have to do all that we can.  Buck up, quit complaining, cover your mouth when you cough, and wash your hands!  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Haworth said:

Actually, the CDC recommends washing for 20 seconds. That is also the policy of the hospital I work in.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tsakishuman said:

Actually, the CDC recommends washing for 20 seconds. That is also the policy of the hospital I work in.

I was always told to sing the “Happy Birthday” song through twice. I just timed it and it comes to 24.54 seconds for me. 😃 Does the job! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Haworth said:

I've also always read 20 seconds for hand washing - 2 minutes for brushing teeth.

I do wish the auto faucets would run for at least 20 seconds.

Edited by pacruise804

3 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I've also always read 20 seconds for hand washing - 2 minutes for brushing teeth.

I do wish the auto faucets would run for at least 20 seconds.

How to wash your hands

It's generally best to wash your hands with soap and water. Over-the-counter antibacterial soaps are no more effective at killing germs than is regular soap.

Follow these steps:

• Wet your hands with clean, running water — either warm or cold.
  • Apply soap and lather well.
  • Rub your hands vigorously for at least 20 seconds. Remember to scrub all surfaces, including the backs of your hands, wrists, between your fingers and under your fingernails.
  • Rinse well.
  • Dry your hands with a clean towel or air-dry them.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/hand-washing/art-20046253

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1