Coronavirus

On 3/15/2020 at 10:14 PM, nancyneptune said:

Glad to hear you have got your refund sorted out.  Hope you keep well. Lets hope that Marella are fair with everyone. 

It's a nightmare and I do feel really sorry for the crew and entertainers on board and also all who work in the shops and call centres but feel Tui could have handled this better.

To be fair to them I received refund today,but agree it could have been sorted earlier ! thank you for the good wishes and good luck .

I take it most people book direct with TUI? I booked with a well known on line cruise company and have been told 10 weeks before I see the refund of my deposit. A lesson learnt! However, I doubt we will cruise again, which is a shame.

37 minutes ago, shot2bits said:

I take it most people book direct with TUI? I booked with a well known on line cruise company and have been told 10 weeks before I see the refund of my deposit. A lesson learnt! However, I doubt we will cruise again, which is a shame.

Well I booked this one with the Tui TA and they are not very helpful with my deposit refund so I think you have done OK, I still have a few days before I have to take my option. 

This time I booked direct on the TUI site have used their other branded outlets before sometime they are cheaper.

They took their time to cancel but money back same working day and a couple of days later to be seen on the CC statement

Never seen a big enough discount from the Cruise TAs, to make it worth while booking through them unless you have some extra money off from them through vouchers or something.

Following the various social media it seems TUI are on top of the situation as they are getting refunds out to people for the cruise cancelled for March(automatic, by calling or people calling in), plenty of good reports of TUI stores being helpful once they know what is going on and they will price match deals you find might ours next time.

April cruise can join the refund lists now they have been officially cancelled.

Not so good for those that used cruise TA's that seem to be stalling even once TUI has sent them the money.

Regulations say 2 weeks ask them why they are not complying with that?

If they say waiting for TUI tell them to chase that's their job as they accepted the booking.

Those with disrupted cruises not having as much luck with their partial refunds except some on Discovery had their refunds before they got home.

I see Discovery 2 is waiting off Jamaica.  Seems she called in there yesterday, maybe for supplies? Hope they stay virus free so they are allowed to disembark for flights home or they’ll have to head for Cuba as Braemar did. 

1 hour ago, kevinyork said:

I see Discovery 2 is waiting off Jamaica.  Seems she called in there yesterday, maybe for supplies? Hope they stay virus free so they are allowed to disembark for flights home or they’ll have to head for Cuba as Braemar did. 

Everybody on Disco 2 now heading home or are at home. 

A friend on board kept me informed over the past 4 days. even with captains announcements.

Regards

RR

15 minutes ago, Rebel Rouser said:

A friend on board kept me informed over the past 4 days. even with captains announcements.

Regards

RR

Celebration docking Southampton on the 19th will make it easier for pax to get home by coach, she may tie up with the P&O fleet or carry on to Cyprus, do remember the Seaman,s strike when ships were tied up three abreast.

24 minutes ago, vwgolf said:

Refunds are coming in thick and fast for the excursions and extras I've cancelled. When the cruise money is refunded I'm going to have a whacking great credit balance on my credit card!

I got my excursion refund this morning.

1 hour ago, Rebel Rouser said:

Regards

RR

Do you know where they are disembarking them to fly home!  She is just treading water off Jamaica currently. 

According to MarineTraffic Discovery 2 and Explorer 2 are 'waiting for orders' as their listed destination 

Explorer 2 was in Bridgetown port for 2 days but is now outside the port with four other ships including Azura

Dream is sailing up the Spanish coast with no destination listed (Gibraltar is out of date)

Explorer has been in Las Palmas for 2 days

Discovery is still showing in the sea outside Laem Chabang but the info is 4 days old

50 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

According to MarineTraffic Discovery 2 and Explorer 2 are 'waiting for orders' as their listed destination 

Explorer 2 was in Bridgetown port for 2 days but is now outside the port with four other ships including Azura

Yes, hats off to Barbados for allowing cruise ships in "for now", despite having 2 new Cor 19 cases :-

https://barbadostoday.bb/2020/03/17/covid-19-ports-to-remain-open-for-now/

As you say, EX2 and Azura have been in the vicinity since yesterday, now joined by Vision of the Seas, AidaLuna, AidaPerla, Mein Schiff 2, MSC Preziosa, and Seabourn Odyssey.

They seem to be taking turns to dock, perhaps to bus pax to airport? then either anchor or stooge around. When we cruise the Caribbean again will def make sure Barbados is on the Itinerary. All credit to them.

3 hours ago, kevinyork said:

Do you know where they are disembarking them to fly home!  She is just treading water off Jamaica currently. 

Hi, I have had confirmation from my friend who was on Disco II that he and others had landed at Gatwick this morning and was then picking up luggage. 

As far as I know everybody off the ship apart from crew members

Edited by Rebel Rouser
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 2:27 PM, NIX70 said:

Just spoke to customer services, won't give me a refund. Due to sail on 31st March on Discovery 2 (round trip Jamaica), which was obvious wasn't going to sail when all the ports are closed to entry. Two weeks out, hadn't heard from them, just rang. Situation changing "minute by minute", "until we're briefed we've been told we can only rebook and not issue refunds". Don't want to rebook at the moment, the situation is too uncertain and I was taking kids with me who are tied by school holidays. Come on Tui, I expect better.....

I posted yesterday when I didn't have very good news, so I want to post today with an update. Tui customer services phoned me at 7.30 last night (after I'd spoken to them originally at lunchtime when they could only offer a rebook). This time they offered me a refund on the spot, which I accepted. It was the same lady I'd spoken to at lunchtime (Heidi, very helpful), she said they were all staying late to try and sort out everyone's queries so that they could start again fresh today. Very sensible approach by Tui. I didn't hold out much hope of getting a call back and had resigned myself to a fight, but this is good customer service.

Interesting TUI have added below to updates this afternoon

We would like to give those due to travel after the 16 April the additional freedom and peace of mind when it comes to travelling in the future, which is why from today we will be offering our travel promise. From 17 March 2020 if you have an existing TUI, Marella Cruises, First Choice or TUI River Cruise package holiday booking travelling on or before 30 June 2020 you can amend for free to any holiday on sale. You can do this up to seven days before your original departure date. Please refer to booking terms and conditions for more information.

So if you have a cruise booked before 30 June but can’t reschedule and don’t want another holiday, will you get a refund? Are they cancelling holidays or not?

2 hours ago, FIFE1 said:

Interesting TUI have added below to updates this afternoon

We would like to give those due to travel after the 16 April the additional freedom and peace of mind when it comes to travelling in the future, which is why from today we will be offering our travel promise. From 17 March 2020 if you have an existing TUI, Marella Cruises, First Choice or TUI River Cruise package holiday booking travelling on or before 30 June 2020 you can amend for free to any holiday on sale. You can do this up to seven days before your original departure date. Please refer to booking terms and conditions for more information.

8 hours ago, Vitalsign said:

Dream is sailing up the Spanish coast with no destination listed (Gibraltar is out of date)

Explorer has been in Las Palmas for 2 days

Discovery is still showing in the sea outside Laem Chabang but the info is 4 days old

Take a look on CruiseMapper.com. Select Ships and the cruise line and ship.

Disco has been stationary off Singapore for the last few day after it left Laem Chabang on Monday (IIRC).

I assume the propulsion problems of January were fixed ( we were on her then), otherwise would it not use this pause in operations for repairs?

Tomorrow was supposed to be the start of the repo (from Langkawi?) but not much of that possible any more. No Malaysia, Sri Lanka, India. Haven't kept up to date with Middle East restrictions.

1 hour ago, helengp said:

So if you have a cruise booked before 30 June but can’t reschedule and don’t want another holiday, will you get a refund? Are they cancelling holidays or not?

That's my question as well.

We are due to fly to Tenerife on 17 April on Explorer for repo to Corfu.  Four weeks and counting.  Temperature getting a bit high and not from coronavirus!

Phoned yesterday to discuss extension for June cruise balance which is due in 10 days.  This was granted until 16 April.  No chance to have deposit refunded and no voucher could be offered for a future cruise.  We have decided to bite the bullet and lose the deposit but will wait until nearer extension end.  Refuse to fork out just under £5,000 not knowing what is happening.

At the end of discussion over June booking I mentioned April cruise and was told they were dealing with cruises up to 16 April. We are due to go next day.  No information as to what was happening to those waiting patiently for them to contact us. Want our £3,500 back before handing over any more to them.  Sadly call centre obviously can't process refunds like TAs as friends got their full refund for the same cruise last week.

31 years of cruising with the company and totally disillusioned with their handling of the situation.

Edited by skioncruises

2 minutes ago, idh2019 said:

Take a look on CruiseMapper.com. Select Ships and the cruise line and ship.

Disco has been stationary off Singapore for the last few day after it left Laem Chabang on Monday (IIRC).

I assume the propulsion problems of January were fixed ( we were on her then), otherwise would it not use this pause in operations for repairs?

Tomorrow was supposed to be the start of the repo (from Langkawi?) but not much of that possible any more. No Malaysia, Sri Lanka, India. Haven't kept up to date with Middle East restrictions.

UAE not allowing ships from Asia and Oman not granting Visas for tourists for the foreseeable. Not that it really matters. Cruising is dead for many months 

I know Discovery is now off Singapore and she was off Laem Chabang for a few days It updated this afternoon I've been watching at least twice a day on Marine Traffic for all TUI ships which I've used for years

The propulsion problems were fixed weeks ago

1 minute ago, skioncruises said:

That's my question as well.

We are due to fly to Tenerife on 17 April on Explorer for repo to Corfu.  Four weeks and counting.  Temperature getting a bit high and not from coronavirus!

Phoned yesterday to discuss extension for June cruise balance which is due in 10 days.  This was granted until 16 April.  No chance to have deposit refunded and no voucher could be offered for a future cruise.  We have decided to bite the bullet and lose the deposit but will wait until nearer extension end.  Refuse to fork out just under £5,000 not knowing what is happening.

At the end of discussion over June booking I mentioned April cruise and was told they were dealing with cruises up to 16 April.  No information as to what was happening to those waiting patiently for them to contact us. Want our £3,500 back before handing over any more to them.  Sadly call centre obviously can't process refunds like TAs as friends got their full refund for the same cruise last week.

31 years of cruising with the company and totally disillusioned with their handling of the situation.

Simon Calder today on Radio 4 said if you had paid a deposit on a package then If final balance is due then to pay it. If they cancel at any point you get it all back.  If you don’t pay your final balance you loose your deposit even if it’s highly likely they will cancel eventually.  

5 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

I know Discovery is now off Singapore and she was off Laem Chabang for a few days It updated this afternoon I've been watching at least twice a day on Marine Traffic for all TUI ships which I've used for years

The propulsion problems were fixed weeks ago

I’m guessing as they have no guests onboard they are waiting to see where to go next. India and the UAE are closed to them so their route back to the Med might be troublesome.